How do I stop acting so nervous around girls?

I can't even talk to them. I just sit there with my hands in my lap looking all nervous and fidgeting. I act quite awkward when I am around them or... Show More

Most Helpful Guy

• do you lack confidence in other areas besides dealing with girls? (it sounds like you do, if you're the only quiet one in class)

it sounds like you need to build up your general self confidence; there are lots of ways of doing this, depending on your interests. some people take acting classes - that way they learn to "act" as confident characters, and you can try out being different sorts of people without having to change yourself.

another good option may be to practice public speaking - toastmasters is the most famous group for helping people with this & there's probably a chapter near you if not at your college campus. learning to speak in front of people in a formal setting will help you with informal environments as well.

finally it seems that you're reasonably good at expressing yourself in written form, so it may be that one way to show a particular girl you're interested is to put some thoughts in writing rather than trying to approach her face to face. this may be an old-fashioned approach but the effect might be novel enough these days to get you some interest & help you break some ice.

finally finally, once you hit the legal age, it's amazing what a couple of drinks can do relax your inhibitions - just take it easy since it's not hard to make a fool of yourself this way.

good luck