What do women mean when they say: Tall, Dark and Handsome?

Hey, so I've been reading up on this site ( I'm fairly new), and when women are asked what they find attractive (physical-wise) most of you say tall, dark, and handsome and I can't be the only guy wondering what's actually meant by this and how I fit in.

Tall: I know this is subjective but what constitutes as tall ( I'm 5'11 is that considered tall?)

Dark: Does that mean hair colour, eye colour, skin tan or all of the above? ( I have brownish hair, would that still be considered dark or does it have to be black?)

Handsome: What makes a man handsome to you?

Lastly, if you could only pick one of the above traits for your partner which would it be and why?

Most Helpful Girl

• LMAO OK

Tall: that depends on the girl really. I men if the girl is tall say 5 feet 10 inches then the guy would need to be taller then that. Most of the time if the girl is average then yes something like 5 feet 11 inches is tall but again it depends on each girls idea of tall. I like my guys between 5 feet 10 inces and 6 feet 4 inches.

Dark: Mysterious looking. Or exciting looking. Can also mean have a "bad boy" look or a confident sexy look. When most girls say dark they are referring to the attitude the guy seems to have. Not the skin hair or eye color.

Handsome: That's different with every girl. To me it would be nice arms, taller then me ( 5 feet 10 inches or up to 6 feet 4 inches.) short hair, nice teeth.

If I could pick only one then it would be tall. I like to be able to look up into my guys eyes, and I like to be able to lean into him when he is holding me with out having to worrie about hitting his head. lol

• hmm it seems pretty well every girl wants her man to be taller, would a guy being a bit shorter than her be a deal-breaker?

• Thanks :)

• welcome

GAG Video of the Day

10 Things Guys Wish Girls Would Stop Doing

What Girls Said 14

• This is just me but here it goes... 5'11 would definitely be tall to me since I'm only 5'! If I said dark (this is just me...) I'd be talking about mystery. I don't want my guy to be 2D and boring, I'd rather him have substance, intelligence, and a not-completely-obvious side to him. Handsome comes in many different forms depending on the girl. For me, intellegence and kindness is one of the most important parts of "handsome." Looks come in somewhere but typically not at the top. So really, I would pick handsome, but only by my definition, first. Don't worry, you'll be fine :)

• wow I was pretty off on what I thought dark was, thanks for the advice :)

• Tall - good stature and shoulders and posture play into this, and when I say tall I mean in comparison to the girl at least (because this is subjective depends on whether the girl is 5'0 or 5'8)

For me (5'4 and a half) I'd say tall would be over 5'9 at least..

Dark - I've always thought this meant dark hair. Black or brown or 'dark'. I've NEVER associated this with skin colour, but speaking of skin colour a normal or not pasty pale is best I find.. tanned is alright..not extreme tan though...

Handsome - speaks for itself..depending on girl.. basically as asthetically pleasing facial structure or even 'average' - the 'dark' and 'tall' can make average look very handsome!

celebrity examples of 'tall, dark and handsome' (in my perception of the term at least)

Ryan Reynolds -

link

Ashton Kutcher -

link

James Lafferty

link

• It will range from girl to girl. Tall for me - at least 6 ft, because I'm tall myself. Dark - for me, I like dark hair and am really into dark complected guys, especially latin guys - most girls would just consider it dark hair, maybe tan. handsome - obviously it ranges from person to person. I like nice smiles, shoulders and shoes lol

• Tall: Yes, you are tall. Generally, women just want a man who is taller than them. I'm 5'1, for instance. I am perfectly fine with a man being 5'3 or taller.

Dark: Generally, when I think about this as not necessarily being black or brown, but that you don't look like you have never seen the sun.

Handsome: Different women find different things to be handsome. Every man is handsome in his own way ;)

Choosing from any of these is ridiculous. If I HAD to, like there was no way to know about personality, then I would pick handsome, considering I don't really care how tall or dark you are. But really, personality is the key.

• thanks for the advice :) by the way I lol'd at your user-name..I'm pretty jealous of it actually

• Haha, don't worry. It's understandable ;)

• All of those basically comes from us reading too many historical romance novels :)...all of 'em have heroes portrayed as such...so we women are pretty much brainwashed...

Tall: to me, because I'm Asian, 175cm or 5 feet 9 inches would be considered tall.

Dark: To me, it's mostly about the skin colour. Most Asian men especially in my part of the world have this sexy caramel toffee coloured skin. Yummm...

Handsome: This is very subjective...to me, it is the combination of both of the tall and dark traits as well as a pleasant personality.

Lastly, I'd pick tall because being a shorty like I am, I'm all about feeling secure and protected by much taller men.

• Yes!! Finally someone agrees with me that is exacally how I feel because I think short girls should date tall guys cause I'm short myself and I really like the company of a taller man

More from Girls
9

What Guys Said 2

• Tall, dark, and handsome is a metaphor for the perfect guy.

He doesn't have to be Shaq's height or Jordan's skin tone, he doesn't even need the comedian skills of Robin Williams.. He just has to be the right guy in the right place at the right time.

Obviously you're looking for more than that as an answer, so I'll list of traits which I believe women find more attractive that anyone could possess:

- White as rice and your out of the books, dark as the ground and you look like dirt.. A mix inbetween is perfect.

- Seriousness is too stern but laughter is too crazy.. A mix inbetween yet again.

- Patience, acceptance, morals and boundaries.. Know when not to take offense as well as when to stand up for yourself.

- Comedy is always good.

- Persistance with respect.. Push to get her attention but try to be weary of how much you might be annoying her.

- Never self-mutilate yourself for trying - Never think your "not enough"

- Don't be a sleeze ball of a boyfriend, take care of what you can and show appreciation for what she does.

etc

~ ArtistBBoy

• not sure who thumbed this down it was a good answer (shrugs shoulders*)

• Wow you really know girls well. Nice answer. Very very impresed.

• watch sex and the city and be Mr. Big. Problem solved.