Why do people like UGGs and other shoes like them (e.g. EMU, Bearpaw)?

I don't understand. Not only are they cruel, but they aren't flattering either... they just make your feet look round and big. There's nothing truly fashionable about them.I understand everyone has their own different taste but really... is it just because a lot of other people wear them? I get that they're warm but is it really worth killing animals over that?

Please actually answer my question.

Please no comments about animals.
Please do read my comments.

I'M A VEGAN!
So, no, it's not hypocritical.

IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO ACTUALLY ANSWER MY QUESTION, SHH IT!
Thank you to those few people who actually did answer my question.
I'm not judging anyone who does wear UGGs.
I just want to know why you wear them, why you think they're cute?
What features about them are cute..
That's all.. gosh, no need to get defensive.
Stop answering question, please.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• I have an UGG type shoe, but they DEFIANTLY are not UGGs I wouldn't buy real UGGs because they of course use fur and plus they're like expensive and people make such a big deal about having them, every girl at my school has them (well the rich ones at least) those damn shoes were sold out in my state! People are actually paying so much to be trendy, I find it crazy.However I do have shoes that are similar to UGGs, they look exactly like the real thing, they just don't have those three letters sewn into them which makes them so damn expensive.Honestly to answer your question, I really don't think they're really that cute...they just keep my feet warm, if it wasn't cold I'd still be wearing flip flops.

• your state? so not australia?

What Guys Said 18

• I'm kind of having trouble understanding the question. Are you asking why girls like uggs? I asked that question. Some of the answers were pretty interesting.

• Yes. :] Precisely.

• Show Older
    • Hah, well, that's quite interesting.Hah.. Crocs are on that list. x] Means that UGGs are legit ugly.

• Funny enough, a lot of responders to that article you linked to were defending Uggs, but no other brand.

• The truth of the matter is that everyone has different tastes in what they like. We all have different imaginations and we are totally incapable of comprehending what goes on in the imaginations of others. And really, isn't that what your fashion style is supposed to be a result of? Your imagination?As far as the "cruel" aspect, I understand that you are Vegan but we do not yet have substitutes for for everything we can get from animals. For instance, most motorcycle safety apparel is made from leather hides from either the cow, goat, or kangaroo. The reason for this is because there is nothing we can synthesize with science that has the protective qualities of these leathers without spending tens of thousands of dollars on just one protective suit. And while we do have polyfill for coats now, I've never felt warmer than in clothes with authentic fleece lining.My nutritional goals require me to consume more protein than carbohydrates, which is only possible with a fair amount of meat/dairy in the diet, since anything grown from the ground WILL have more carbs than protein.

• I feel that I have to protect veganism so don't take any offense to this, I mean it in the most helpful way. :]There are actually so many alternative. You won't believe it. Leather is just one of the easy ones. In fact many companies has actually decided to use high quality faux leather (not that awful cheap PU stuff) instead of real leather because it's cheap and coloring it isn't toxic. (To color and preserve leather is extremely toxic. People have actually died from working in such...

• facilities. No joke. Google it. Plus the fact that they use chemicals to spot the product from rotting, means it won't be biodegradable.)And as for food, protein. Please, just please never ever say that to a vegetarian or vegan, we get tired of it.. hah. :] But it's totally understandable that you think that. Vegs can recieve just as much protein as a meat-eater but the great thing about vegans is that they will never have cholesterol! :] As for carbs, excercise does the body good.

• And if that's not good enough, protein powderrrrrrrrr. :DLook up some pro athletes. You'd be surprised to see how many are vegan. :] Hah.

• I like them because I think they look cute on a girl.

• Why should I get a thumbs down.

• Hm, if it makes you feel better, I meant to vote you up because you had a valid point but I accidentally pressed down...

• I don't give a damn about animals, but I agree, they are ugly.

• lol. they look like astronaut boots.

• Haha, SocietysBomb, that's what I though when I first saw them!

• wait... did you put that uggs ad in your post or is it just a hilarious coincidence?but ya you're right. there are A LOT more followers than leaders out there. just take music on the radio for instance. every other song sounds the same.

• No, haha. I think it just adds an ad of whatever's mentioned on a page.And yes, I agree. Hopefully some at least wear them because they like them. Same for music. Hopefully artists actually like what they're making.

• We have UGG boots everywhere here in australia (They are Australian after all) and they are everywhere

• well it is a better alternative to throwing away lamb fur since lambs are farmed for the meat.

• The lambs used in UGGs aren't used for meat.So, yea, they're wasting meat.

• Do you drink milk? Eat meat? Eat eggs? Do you religiously check products for signs of animal testing? (The make up you're wearing and the soaps and shampoos you use are tested on animals against their will!) Ever take antibiotics? Almost any medication ever? Do you enjoy the benefits of not having your food poison you every few days?Congratulations, if you answered yes to any of these questions, you directly benefit from animal exploitation and slaughter. You're a hypocrite!

• No.I'm a vegan.I always check products.I buy vegan hygiene products. From soup, shampoo, to makeup and deodorant..I have yet to get sick and get medicine. And when I do, I'l be going to the doctor for it and telling him I'm vegan because there are alternatives.Thanks for judging.

• Show Older
    • funny how you said vegan has nothing to do with your question... just saying.. LOL

• @kaseykahneno1 - It's because people mention it. You stand up for your beliefs, right? Well, that's what I'm doing.

• Few things in this world are more irritating than a militant vegetarian. Why is it that you think you need to spread your gospel around? When the religious people show up at your door and start preaching do you like that? Probably not yet you think you should do the same thing to others? UGGs are awesome for what they were made for. Originally they were made for surfers after they get out of the cold ocean. The wool is warm when wet still, doesn't promote odour and are surprisingly comfortable walking on a beach. I got my first pair in the 80's for just this reason. I will agree that they are a little silly to wear as a fashion statement but you can not argue with comfort. And I'm all for anything that has function before fashion.BTW I hope you are a serious vegan. Like if you get sick you will refuse the drugs cause they were probably tested on animals. You will not get vaccinations cause they are produced using animals. When cancer happens you don't take the drugs cause they are made of animals. Don't bother trying to say meaty this and meaty that to me because I am a vegetarian who hates people that think they have to preach their crap to everybody. The fact that you do that is not to convince others but to convince yourself. I would expect every vegan to know this cute little Buddhist quote - 'Those that know do not talk, and those that talk do not know'.

• I never "preached" veganism. I just once said that UGGs are cruel. There are hundreds of things I can say about being vegan, did I? No. Either you made up what I said in your head or you don't know the meaning of the world 'preach.'As for health, I'm healthy now so I don't need to worry about that. My doctor knows that I'm vegan and supports it. If you actually tool the time to research information before what you just said, you'd know that a majority of all medicine is vegan.

• And where did I say anything about meat? Did you even read my question?I asked why people like UGGs, why they think they're cute, then I specially said not to mention veganism and not to answer anymore. And no, I don't care if this is an answering questions site, I have enough answers.And since you seem to like quotes: “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”-Gandhi

• I just wanted to let you know that the page loaded your question for me with a great big ad for an ugg boots clearance website. I wasn't going to answer this originally but this was too funny not to mention.

• hahaha, I see it too,thats too much

• Hah.. yea. It's because people keep using "UGGs" on this page.. kind of how ads work.. hah..

• hahaha same

• welll...are you wearing boots to attaact GUYS or foir your girlfriends to feed you ego?I';m 43, but... a lot of young guys around herre hunt and are on the same wavelength as me...LOOK... real guys don't care WHAT shos you are wearing, or boots...as long as those thngs are worn in winter, adn are natural leather color, and not dyed pink or blue...the booys would think they were normal boots around here...my old lady has literally 6 college degrees, and works I the states capitol... and OUT of work, she wears "work boots" back and forth to the bus stop, LMSO... and so o many of the cute young girls around here that have boys flocking around them...othe girls that don't "get it: don't understand why "some girls" can dress like a "steelworker" and still get dates...LMAO... men don't care, and we LIKE it when girls wear work boots. You seem "normal" then... when its winter. MEN are practical, and normal... we don't follow fashion...emo-scene f@g boys "don really count" outside of their little skater cirvles, and when they get out of highschool, we make fun of them till they act and dress like normal men...

• Haha I'd disagree... I'm just saying =P

• umm f-u for putting emo and skaters together. They are not the same thing at all.

• um, girls don't wear it to attract guys?we wear it cause its comfortablewe don't live to please guys, just sayin

• You're a vegan?Well that's just spitting evolution in the face.

• The world and evolution can go on without her, relax.

• Show Older
    • All those vitamins and alternatives are human made.We've been living off of animals since the beginning of our existance.

• We have the incredibly complex ability to break down meat for a reason, if everyone was vegan, there would be serious ecological implications.

• Acutally, I don't like them.

• Vegan's like the sh*ttest thing you can be isn't it? Any kind of animal product is out, awww. Can't even just make it halal or have a drink of milk. What about if things use bee's wax, is it out too?

• Yeh, my vegan housemate won't eat honey, so I'm guessing beeswax is out.

• the world as majority has no style, the general public wears what ever the media shoves at them as long as it catches on as a whole

• Comfortable

• I personally find them hideous, (no offense to any one that wares them =P) there are so many other more fashionable boot choices. Lol but I have seen a lot of girls that looked really cute in them, it just had nothing to do with the boots =P I also think that you are right about a lot of girls waring them just because they see other girls waring them,and I think that this desire is increased substantially because A) they are somewhat expensive footwear, and B) a lot of girls that are perceived as fissionable, wealthy, beautiful and stylish ware them. I personally really like boots on a girl, I just think that there are a lot of companies that make them better then particularly UGG. And trust me, there are alternatives that are just as fashionable and up-to-date but don't make you look like you have boats on your feet =P ;P

• Thank you for actually answering my question. :] And I assume you don't even wear UGGs.. hah. I agree with you on the alternatives to UGGs, there are definitely many more fashionable footwear options.

• Show Older
    • Hah, well, apparently there are UGGs for men now. :O! Shocking..And, well, for me it depends on the occasion, sometimes some canvas sneakers or high-tops if it's just causal. And other times, faux leather heels or cork sandals (sounds ugly but I assure you, the ones I have are cute:D). Depends on weather too.. hah.

• Lmao UGGs for men? What will they think of next... I wonder if they actually sell.

• They look like warm, comfortable, sensible footwear. That makes the person wearing them more interesting to me. The fashion aspect is lost on me. Most fashions seem to make the wearers look like tools.

What Girls Said 49

• didn't you already ask this? look, if you like uggs wear them. I personally think they look like oversized slippers, but I wear them anyways:)

• No, I didn't. This is from 10 days ago. That's why I told people to stop answering but apparently no one read that. >.<

• I don't care for the boots,as in the style of it,and I don't own a REAL pair of uggs.I have a knock off pair,and to be honest,my feet are always WARM and they are insanely comfortable...like a pair of slippers.

• I find that style of boot comfortable. However!, I do not buy the actual UGGS, EMU or any other kind that is made from animals. I buy cheap fake ones that are made of man-made materials :) They are like 1/800th of the price and look the same!

• They are pretty comfy, I'm sure that they will fade out. I wear them and I am vegetarian, just not one for animal rights because I wear leather.

• They're comfortable, they're an obvious status symbol, and they eliminate the need to think about what to wear. No need to make a fashion statement as long as you're wearing exactly what everyone else is.

• If it weren't for the toe part's shape I'd think they'd look a lot cuter. I do really like the fuzzy boot look, though I believe there are better boots for the job.What I don't understand is wearing them when its not cold out. Like 25 degrees or less cold or there's a foot of snow on the ground. Then I'm at a loss. Not quite as much as I'm at a loss to why anyone would buy crocs, but still confused. Winter like boots look chic when in their native environments, you wouldn't wear flip flops in the snow, so leave the boots at home on the sunny day.I see you've stated no animal comments, but given you asked if killing animals was really worth it in the initial question...probably should have seen that coming...

• Yes, you're right. :] I should have left that out, didn't actually want the answer to that.And yes, haha, I never got as to why people liked Crocs either. Maybe I'm just a shoe critic.. hah, don't know. The weather thing boogles my mind, oh, well, it's people's decision not mine..But thank you for answering the question. :]

• No problem :)Winter chic is one look I rock 4-5months of the year. Red plaid, short, fuzzy boots for this girl.

• Actually, at my school in Anchorage, Alaska, we ran around in flip-flops year round. Only the 'fashionable' crowd cared to wear uggs.

• I think they are the ugliest boots ever. I would never buy a pair. I don't care how much other people like them. Which is okay as long as I don't have to wear them. In my opinion, they make you look like big foot. Too ugly. Oh and crocs are just as ugly. But hey that's just my opinion, because, I like girlie things if it not flattering to me, I just don't like.

• Oh my gosh, me tooo! :]Thanks for answering my question. :]

• my grandarent git me uggs for Christmas a few years ago and I love them. I no ther hedious but they are so warm and comfy I don't care. also they have lasted for 5 years now and still work fine.

• I wear them because they keep my feet warm, plain and simple.

• That's reasonable. :]Thanks for your input. :]

• No problem : )!

• because there cute not all uggs are made from animals

• I love my uggs, I mean they are definitely not the cutest boots ever but they are super warm and comfy which is a plus since I live in a cold area. I don't really worry about other peoples opinions on what I wear anyway.

• Uggs were actually slippers in Australia. Some weirdo from here went there and said OOOH cute! Then some celebrity wore them and BAM! the sheep did what sheep do...everyone and their mother started wearing them.I like them fine, as SLIPPERS... but since I'm in CA and there's no reason to wear them, (it's hot here imo almost all the time) I don't see myself getting them. I don't understand how so cal can wear them at all, it's hotter there than here!Anyway, that's why they're so popular. I'm with you. They're not that great. As for the animal thing, don't let people get you down for your beliefs. I understand vegans but you wouldn't have gotten into the debates if you hadn't said the kill animals line. If you left it at, I don't get why people wear these, you wouldn't have gotten into the debate at all. Just fyi if you don't want to start a fight over something simple.It doesn't matter if you're an animal lover or a hunter (I don't like that at all...) because ultimately, your question was about fashion. Stick with fashion. :)

• The cuter the animal, the better it tastes - fact. But ya you're right, UGGs are f***ing pug fugly.

• i don't give a crap about the animal thing,i wear them cause they're comfy, end of story :)

• Haha, alright. That's understandable. :]

• I like uggs, they are comfy. That is the only reason I wear them. I don't care about fashion or trends and I sure as heck don't care what people think about what I wear.

• Haha, right on. That's all that matters. :DThanks for answering. :]

• I don't understand it either, they're so ugly..

• I have never worn or owned a pair. I don't plan on it either :)

• I think Uggs are cute. Especially with leggings. And its just sheepskin for God's sake. It's not like it's Snow Leopard fur or something.But yeah I wouldn't buy Uggs brand though. They're WAY overpriced of course. Probly just buy a knock-off.And also, "fashionable" is relative my dear. :P

• Yes, I believe that I already stated that everyone has their own style. :PI agree that they are expensive. I have a pair and still have yet to sell them since I found out how they were made.And as for your first point, I think it's just a matter of the person, some people may not care that it's just sheepskin but others do. Thanks for actually answering my question though. :] It's really appreciated.

• I used to have a pair, and I honestly only really wore them because I could get them on/off quikly, and they were warm.And on another note, being against killing animals for the mas production of clothing is completely different than using animals for medicinal purposes, so she's not a hypocrite, all of you saying she is are really ignorant.

• Aw, thanks for standing up for me. :]You have no idea how much that means to mean. :]<3

• I understand the animal cruelty part, that is why I wear fake ones, however as far as style is concerned everyone I am sure has a different reason. Mine are that they are comfortable and that it is kinda faupa where I live to wear them with shorts and I love going against the grain lol. Plus guys tend to like girls in boots and most aren't particularly comfortable, these are a good alternative.

• TROLL hahahaK, sweetheart where do you live?Cause to people like me who live in Canada,with -27C *not including the wind chill... Its not a choice for me, the question is do I like to keep my feet? or shall I be stylish and not 'round' looking and loose my feet to frost bite? YA NO thx.Rephrase your question to more specifics.*Happy note, I was informed that they arnt actually skin of any animal,you know the clothes you wear? ya its the same wool used from those damn sheep.Vegetarian here k thx.

• UGG boots are too expensive for me so I don't own any but I have had boots like uggs and their super comfortable that's why I like them

• I hear that UGGs are warm and comfy and for that reason I can sort of see why people wear them, but there are probably other shoes out there that are just as warm and comfy that people can wear that don't look like giant piles of dung.I don't see any reason to freak out trying to buy a pair, they look unflattering and stupid. With the multitude of women these days worrying about their weight, why would you want to wear shoes that make your feet look swollen?

• Yea, I heard that they're comfy too but honestly, they weren't to me. And I certainly don't find them flattering.I completely agree with you.Thanks for answering.

• They are comfy and easy. Uggs and jeans= cute but Uggs and shorts= tacky.

• i hate uggs lol they are disgust. ewww when girls where their t-parties, abercrombie shirts, uggs, and have their hair in that high bun. can't stand it!

• I like fake uggs, especially black ones. In my oppinion they go with almost everything and they are extremely comfortable.

• Yeah Ugg boots are god awful ugly. Too bad EVERY girl on campus is rocking them! Gross. =/

• well then in that case... you shouldn't wear cotton because then your taking the boll weevils food (they eat cotton) and those little f***ers are killed to make clothes (and well isn't that considered animal genocide?), and you shouldn't wear hemp because a lot of hemp companys throw the buds and leaves away (and that's just a horrible waste of perfectly good weed [hemp is the marijuana stalk/stem]) hahaha theyrs an UGG ad on your question.

• Animals migrate to where they can find food.

• Show Older
    • true, but we need iron and protein to live full and healthy lives, and naturally most of the protein and iron comes from meat (and nuts and beans but we'd have to eat loads of nuts and beans to get the right amount of protein and iron)

• That's what legumes are for. [:

• Do you eat meat? wear leather? very few people actually care where their clothing comes from. Personally I don't give a sh*t, and I don't care what footwear people sport.

• No, I actually don't eat meat or wear leather. And I just care about animals. That's how I am. I don't judge people who do either.But you didn't answer my question.

• Show Older
    • Woah woah girlie. I was on this way before you.

• GymNasty19, I'm not judging you. All I did was say that UGGs kill animals, how is that judging you? I not once, have said that you're a cruel person or are awful for wearing UGGs.All I wanted was people's opinions of why they think UGGs are cute. Like, what features make them cute. That was my question.I don't mean to offend people who wear UGGs, I just wanted to know why you do. I admit, you guys are very defensive about it too... hah.

• They go with almost everything and they send your feet to foot heaven.

• Show More