Can anyone tell me if its possible to bring up my GPA from this point?

Today I found out my GPA and I was extremely disappointed by it. My average from Freshman and Sophomore year is a 2.6. This year however for my first trimester I got a 3.1 GPA. I have been cracking down, getting A’s and B’s, but I want more drastic of a change. For this trimester I want to get like a 3.8 or something way higher than a 3.1. Does that mean I have to get all A’s?

Is there any possible way I can get my GPA up to a 3.0 from a 2.6 by the end of Junior year? I’ll even push it, is it possible to get a 4.0 by the end of Senior year?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• look up colleges specifically that you are applying to. some throw out your freshman year grades like the university of california schools I'm applying to. so if you don't count your freshman year grades you could get a 3.2 by the end of high school if you get 3.5 for the rest of the time.

and don't get down on yourself about going to a "good" college. Lots of people start at a junior college or state university and can go on to get a masters from an ivy league or something like stanford. with your academic record, lots of schools especially private ones will hesitate to accept you because of sophomore year grades. But this will help you in the long run because it takes a long time to retrain your study habits and get the grades you want. Once you have a bachelor's in something universities only look at your grades from the past 4 years so it's a clean slate for you if you want to go on to a higher degree. just have to pay the piper for now. good luck and it's great that you're trying to turn this around now.

just two questions, what are you going to major in? and does your school do weighted GPAs on a 5.0 out of 4.0 scale for honors and AP classes? (if you're in any?) that is what makes my GPA really good at my school and can really help you raise yours

• That's interesting that your school has honors history, mine only has regular or AP. but anyway you seem to be on a BA psych sort of track. That's good because often times BS require higher grades like for premed or engineering while a BA relies more on applying concepts you know. and psych is a really common major you can do a lot of different jobs with. I bet can easily find a good program at "(city name) state university." wherever you live...

• I'm looking to major in psychology or the arts not sure really which direction I'm definite about though, and as far as the second question you asked I'm not sure. All I know is that I'm in honors history, and yesterday was the first time I was even informed about all of these things. I know it was my responsibility prior but, I was being dumb, I'm regretting not getting any info from guidance sooner.

What Guys Said 4

• YES

if your bachelors degree has an associates and a bachelors...

take all classes to "finish" the associates... you technically "graduate" (take degree) for teh associates...

this CLEARS your GPA... then, all the extra classes you take towards your 4 year degree? Forms your GPA for your graduation of the Bachelors...

you can go from zero to hero doing this, but only if there's an associates you can get in your degree field...

• STUDY STUDY STUDY AND FOCUS

• a 4.0 unweighted is difficult, but weighted it isn't impossible to come by with good study habits. I know a lot of friends who have a 4.0 or above

• you don't have to get 4.0 that's insane just do the best you can do and give it your best shot

• I'm never going to attain a 4.0 so it doesn't really matter.

• You are half way through with a 2.6. So that means you have another half to go.

If you made a 4.0 for every single class until you graduate (straight A's) the highest GPA you can achieve by graduation is a 3.3. ((4.0 + 2.6) / 2).

If you made at least a 3.5 average through JR and SR year (which is good) the highest GPA you can achieve by graduation is a 3.05. ((3.5 + 2.6) / 2).

• Also, you could just go to Junior college for a few semesters and try for a high GPA there.

• A few people I know have 4.0 averages, in all honors classes...Anyways that sucks! OMGGGGG I'm going to cry.

• Nvm, I see how you averaged it out with first two and last two years.

• Show Older
  • GPA is figured out by the average of grades. Without more information we can't assume much.

Break down each year with how many classes and the grades given. 4 pts for A, 3 pts for B, etc.

Freshman year had W classes for a total of S pts

Sophomore year had X classes for a total of T pts

Junior year I have Y classes for a total of You pts

Senior year I am taking Z classes

GPA of 2.6 = (S + T)/(W + X)

Junior year 3.0 = (S + T + U)/(W + X + Y)

It may be possible to get a 4.0 for your Senior year but the average will probably be lower than that. Honors classes for your Junior and Senior year could have brought it closer to 4.0 if you finished well.

• Oh, that is extremely depressing...I should have tried harder :( Thank you for your help.

What Girls Said 1

• I don't know how your grading system works, but maybe this will help. What I would do is take a look at the classes you have and figure out how much each letter grade is worth and the grade you think you can get in the class if you work really hard. Add up the points and then divide by the number of classes you're taking to come up with and estimate of what your GPA will look like. I would suggest taking some weighted classes if you can handle it because that will definitely boost your GPA. Also, by 4.0 in your senior year, are you referring to your cumulative GPA? Or just that year? If it's your overall GPA then you need to use your GPAs from each trimester to figure out what you need for a 4.0.