Do you think it is a sign that someone is a bad person if they say "retarded" to mean something stupid?

Whenever I hear someone say that, I think it is really insensitive and classless... and reflects on them as a person.

Most Helpful Girl

• It is rather classless and insensitive and it does cast the person who is doing it in a negative light. With that siad I don't think it makes them a bad person, I think it just makes them look like a bad person.

About seven years ago when I was back in high school I had a really nasty habit of saying "That's so gay" after everything. How did I get in the habit...the people around me were using that phrase. Now I had gay friends, I was huge on gay rates, so me using that phrase had no bearing on how I viewed gays it was just something that came out automatically. Now, even my gay friends didn't get bothered when I used it because they knew me. If someone who didn't know me heard that phrase they might either get A-hurt B-Angry C-All of the above because they might have seen it as an attack on gays even though it wasn't.

I think people need to be mindful of the words they use to express something. I think more times or not when people use words like "that's so gay" or "that's retarded" they aren't trying to hurt anyone they just don't realize how negatively it comes off or it's such habit that they don't mean to say it but it comes out anyway.

GAG Video of the Day

Would you date someone younger/older/married?

What Girls Said 27

• Not necessarily

But I don't take things so seriously and it depends on the context

• no it does not mean someone is a bad person. It's slang, people don't intend to offend anyone it's just become a common word these days. People say "im depressed" all the time too but it doesn't mean they need zoloft.

• Well said. I think its a bit too much to assume someone is a "bad" person because of that.

• On one hand I don't care and think people are over-sensitive to it; on the other side, I also understand how it can be insulting to people who are mentally challenged or for someone who is close to a person like that.

I used to take rape jokes lightly and find some funny, then I got sexually assaulted and do not find any joke related to assault or rape funny in the slightest and get mad/defensive sometimes.

• It doesn't automatically make them bad, it just shows you they can be a little careless with wording, which in some people's mind is bad but it tells you nothing about their actual personality. Judge by actions, not words.

• No I don't seem them as a bad person, a bit thoughtless maybe

More from Girls
22

What Guys Said 4

• I don't, I think it's a generational thing. Like how a lot of people today use gay as a synonym for lame, but people of my generation would find that offensive.

• No, but its a bad habit and it would be good to move away from it.

• I personally don't use that word...similar to using the word gay to describe something of dislike for said object/action.

• nope.