Do you think it's possible to read people's true intentions/feelings over the internet?

I tend to think that you can, but I was wondering what other people thought. I try to guess how someone's feeling or something about them based on they way they type and write, without them saying it; sometimes I'm right, and sometimes they get mad and tell me I'm wrong and stupid for trying.

I know a lot of it depends on who you're talking to and how well you know them, but do you think you can pick up on things like sarcasm, anger, and legitimate excitement, or tell when someone's annoyed, irritated, depressed, etc?

Most Helpful Girl

• Sometimes you can read a person's intentions or feelings, but not always.

I was talking to a guy I like on AIM one time (there was mutual interest), and I made a sarcastic comment, which I thought nothing of since I'm really sarcastic. I found out months later that he thought I hated him because he took the comment seriously.

Moral of the story: Consider how something will come off before you write it, because people can't hear your tone of voice or read your body language over the internet.