When are you too overweight for a bikini?

I'm kinda pudgy but not fat. 140 pounds and 5.1". My belly pokes out some and I have some rolls when I sit down, should I not wear a bikini? Be honest.

best way to describe my size is Britney spears at the 2007 vmas. Except less bust more butt

259

Most Helpful Girl

• 5'1" and 140 pounds is overweight. Not trying to be mean but it seems like so many girls underestimate the fact that they are actually overweight. They call themselves curvy when they are more than just curvy.

Saying that, you can make an important decision to actually improve your health. In your age range there is no excuse for being overweight. Decrease your portion sizes slightly, stop eating whatever the worst of the worst is that you eat (fried foods, desserts) and you could easily have a more bikini ready body by summer. If you do not resolve this now, trust me, as a woman it will only get worse, much worse. Wait till you hit your late 20's. Everyone gains weight then. Then have even 1 child, and you will be obese.

Other than that, it is really up to you and how you feel about yourself. I am just guessing since you posted this question, that are not super comfortable with wearing a bikini. Personally, I wouldn't, but I have definitely seen women and girls who would.

• She may be "more than just curvy" by your standards, but by bmi standards, she is just 8 pounds "too curvy" for her height, making her just -barely- overweight. I'm sure she looks vastly different than someone at the actual high end of overweight, which she'd have to gain over 15 pounds to achieve. since she's so much closer to the lower end, I'd venture to call her weight "woes" (used very loosely) not simply a matter of "bad" diet/habit choices, but likely merely genetic. ease up on the lady!

• I'm considered over weight, but its because my musles in my legs from soccer, I have a little cub, you should pray to the scale because it doesn't work like that

• First of all I'm guessing you're a super skinny girl. Also we don't know her age and it doesn't feel good to be body shamed so just.. don't

Sponsored

What Guys Said 9

• Just go with whatever you feel comfortable in, if you're constantly going to be worrying about who's looking at you then don't do it, but if you're happy then go for it, so what if someone else thinks you shouldn't be!

• virtually every woman has a belly that pokes out somewhat.

it's hard to say yes or no to a question like this, because I don't know what you look like. I tend to be _very_ attracted to shorter, curvier girls, so Ii can imagine that you'd look great in some types of bikinis, but so not so good in others. you might have to hunt around to find a style that's most flattering on you.

• If you really wanna wear it,then just be like Nike and JUST DO IT!

That's all I gotta say.

Peace!

• u should wear what ever you feel more confident in

cause confident is sexy

trust me there are a lot worse looking people in a bikini's

u will look awesome in a bikini

good luck =)

• I reckon you're too fat for a bikini if you can't see the bottoms when you're standing up.

Make sense?

• I wouldn't wear a bikini if I were you. Your 5'1 and 140, most girls I've dated were like 5'1-5'4 so pretty short girls and they all weighed like 109-112 lbs probably, and they all complained they were to fat but they were't fat at all. The shorter you are the more it will show that your over weight. I have a friend who's like 5'9 or something and she weighs like 135 maybe 140 but doesn't look fat at all because she's tall.

• She probably also doesn't look fat because she -isn't-. based on the stats you listed for her, her bmi is ~19-20, which is on the LOW side of "healthy".

the girls which were 5'1"-5'4" and 109-112 have a bmi range of 18-21, which is on average the same bmi range for the 5'9" girl, yet you say the taller girl only "doesn't look fat" because of her height, while saying the shorter girls "weren't fat at all". something isn't consistent here, and I suspect the higher # on the scale throws you off.

• @Brooklynbaby16 you should go to Florida and feel comfortable in it and it will take the stress away and try to buy a bikini with a poor boy shorts for a bottom and with wider straps on the top that should make a illusion that you are thiner than you are

• @Brooklynbaby16 Don't let weight or society make you feel bad about yourself, you do you and be proud of your body, I know what it's like not being completely comfortable in your body, start with something small that you like about it and just take it one step at a time.

• put it this way if you see someone skinnier than you and you think that she should not be wearing a bikini then you shouldnt either.

• don't wear one,

• wear whatever you feel best in. Its not up to someone else to decide.

What Girls Said 24

• Right seriously, see to the girls who are saying "your overweight" or "No stay away from two pieces" I do commend your honesty, but I also have to say you are bitches. EMBRACE your curves! So what if you don't have the perfect flat stomach! Wear what you want whenever you want! Sweetie you are beautiful in your own skin so show everyone how beautiful you are! Get that tan that you desire, two pieces make that possible! Britney was a BABE at the VMA performance, she embraced her curves and she look fabulous! Beyonce is curvy and beautiful! She is sexy and fabulous and so are you! Everyone has roles when they sit down, heck so do I and I'm verging on size 0 (not by choice I have a condition) I swear that you will see worse looking people on the beach, not by any means you would look bad, just incase you are insecure there will be people who are 200 pounds in a bikini! If you feel weird walking about in a bikini wear a fabulous kaftan or put on a pair of high wedges to add length to your legs and to your whole body in general. I know I've gone on about how curvy is great, but look at tyra banks, beyonce, britney at the vmas...You will fit in. Remember

-You are beautiful

-Embrace your curves

-Love yourself, people will love you back.

-Do not listen to the people on this site saying over weight, 140 pounds is 10 stone, which is a size 10 in the UK, and the sizes here go 6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22 + So you are perfect.

A.x

• Best answer!

• 140 isn't fat its normal but also its no way is it a uk 10! my sis is 5ft2 and a uk10 and she is under 9st! I'm 5ft4 and 7st so if 10st at 5ft1 is size ten I must be size 0000 then!

• Well, 140 pounds really isn't that bad, I say you might as well go for it. If you still feel self-conscious about it, just find a bikini that complements your body in things like shape and colour.

• i feel that if I'm not comfortable with something I'm wearing, I try to hide. but if I'm comfortable, then I'll be ok with it. so it's rather a subjective question, go with how you feel like doing.

• I was really annoyed when people hated on Britneys shape at the VMAs, I was like, that's literally exactly what I look like when I hven't worked our for a while and there snothing wrong with how she looked- but as long as you feel comfortable, that's the most important thing, if you don't you might want to diet/tone up a little before you hit the beach, I always crash diet before its bikini time X-D. xxxxxxxxxxx

• i'm sure some people will say "unless you're stick thin..dont!" but if you feel GREAT wearing it, go for it! your personality will shine through and make you look more attractive. good luck! :)

• 140 lbs is not necessarily overweight, everyone carries weight differently and has different body types where someone else weighing the same amount could look thinner/fatter than someone else weighing the exact same thing. And sometimes when some people workout they actually gain weight because they gain muscle. I don't know if that's the case with you but I just wanted to clearify that. It also depends on some other factors. People can't just generalize like that . Now it really is about how you feel wearing it. If you feel confident in it then you should wear it. It doesn't matter what people truly think because everyone's tastes are different. I personally think really think girls in bikinis look gross but then again so do obese girls.

If you wanted to tone up pilates videos are great and help you feel comfortable in your own skin. Don't listen to the haters lol... DO YOU!

• depending on how you fill out you should wear what you want, I personally can't wear one pieces since I have a long torso but I'm relatively thin so I wear bikinis just fine. you can wear a tankini to cover yourself more if you're a little insecure about it. if I were you I'd avoid the string bikini, go for maybe boyshort bottoms and a good sturdy halter to hold you up (if your bustier).

• Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. People can't tell you what you can or can't wear.

140 lbs. isn't even a lot so you should be fine.

• You are never too fat. Wear what you want as long as you feel comfortable. Who cares what anyone else says or thinks. I will tell you this much. I have a friend who refuses to wear shorts because she has fat legs. I weigh about 40 pounds more than she does and I say if I am hot, I am wearing shorts. If you don't like it, don't look! I have just as much a right to wear whatever the h*ell I want as anyone else.

• I agree, people are so judgmental now days. Wear what you wanna wear no matter what you weigh its your body!

• Go for it.. Just pick the right cut and right color and I'm sure you will rock out in it.. Don't be self-conscious, if you think you look hot, then you are.

• I'm 16 and weigh around 145. I'm barely 5'1" I am VERY self concious about my weight. But I actually took a big step this year and got a 2 piece swim suit. The bottoms are like a bikini and the top covers my stomach. My mom told me that fat is the new skinny.

• Do your BMI. If it says your healthy, then sure, why not wear the bikini? If it says anything else, then its your call.

• I wouldn't wear one there is nothing worse than seeing a fat girl in a bikini you might not be fat but if you have to question it don't do it

• Okay do you understand how incredibly rude that is? If you feel comfortable wearing a bikini, DO IT! I know that's like the worst advice ever, and that's all everyone is saying, but really, that's what it comes down to. If your not comfortable in your own skin, life is gonna be hard man. I am 5'5 and 135 pounds maybe 140 and while I am not completely comfortable in a bikini, I have worn it and it was a fun day, because I realized people didn't really care what I was wearing, so it was really just me beating myself up about it. If you feel good about it, go for it. :)

• My friend is 5 foot and weighs 105 lbs and rocks a bikini, so you probably shouldn't wear one if your 35 lbs more

• I think almost every girl think she overweight I'm 5'3 and I weigh about 120 think if you should be at 110 pounds so you can loose a little bit

• in all honesty, if you wanna wear one? go for it! who frankly gives a damn what you look like, if they don't like it then 'f' them. they're just rude ass people who can't except the fact that everyone isn't freaking perfect. I'm 5'2, 145 lbs and I honestly think i looked pretty okay in a bikini. I even attracted some guys if I'm honest and I'm not saying that in a vain way, it just happened I guess. so screw what these people said to saying no.

• It really depends on if she's active or not. I'm 5'11 and 190lbs (most the year) and
    Yes online the BMI calculators say I'm "overweight" but I also weight lift intensely, play volleyball, and dance not to mention the hard labor put in at work. But when you get your BMI measured by a doctor or trainer who can measure your muscle mass as well it's completely different. The online calculators are just an estimate.

• I'm 5'1 and 112 pounds! My tummy is a bit chubby and so is my back. I'm going to florida in 8 days and wanna wear a bikini, what should I do? Will people think I'm gross?

• No! Wear what makes you feel comfortable. Dont worry about what anyone else thinks. People are gonna judge regardless. But you are not fat if thats all you weigh. :) Good luck!

• I would say no, please don't do it. I am the same height as you exactly and was once 140lb too so I have an idea of about what size you are. Maybe you could find a cute monokini or a cute swimsuit instead until you lose some weight and get to around 110lb. Sometimes it's hard to make a decision or see clearly without bias in the mirror so you could get someone to take a picture front and side facing of you in the bikini. That way you have the 2 pictures to look at and judge for yourself whether that is a good look for you.

• As a general rule, if you have a belly that is not flat or at least toned, you should stay away from 2 pieces. Britney Spears's body wasn't bad, it's just that she wore something that did not flatter her figure whatso ever.

• i wouldn't recommend a bikini because technically you're overweight and in my experience, people who are overweight wearing skimpy clothes don't look very attractive. but who knows.

• I'm going to be honest here. At 5'1'' and 140 pounds, unless you have a lot of muscle mass, I'd imagine a bikini would only accentuate the fat on your body. Of course, you can wear anything as long as you're comfortable with it, but I don't think a bikini would be too flattering.

• As long as you are comfortable in your skin, go for it.

• I'm nearly the same size and I don't wear bikinis because I know they don't look good on me. It's about wearing what looks good on you and fits right. I wear one pieces and I look great. They accentuate what I have (good boobs, butt) and decrease my flaws (tummy area). Rolls are not attractive even if they are slight. If you wear the right bathing suit, you will look good and feel more confident.