Is it important what parts of body I do per workout?

So i've been going to gym for about a month and my friend thinks (we usually do 2 parts of body for example legs and back or triceps and chest) that it's not good to do for example biceps and legs or chest and back in one workout. Is he right or wrong?
To make it simple, is it important what two parts of body i do per workout or not? Sorry for bad English.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• He's right. Only workout one muscle groups or close groups.

For example, here's my split:
    Monday- legs
    Tuesday- chest and triceps
    Wednesday- back and biceps
    Thursday- glutes, abs, calves
    Friday- arms and shoulders

You won't see a big difference in strength if you're hitting all your muscles at once instead of really focusing on them separately once or twice max per week.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. Just because a workout is geared towards a muscle group does not mean it is the only muscle working. Other muscles are involved, but its just that some work harder than others. If you work out too many muscle groups, or do odd combinations, you are not getting the most out of the workout. The goal is to work muscle groups where 1 muscle group uses the other muscle group to a small degree, like how bench presses also work triceps a bit).

Pairing muscle groups that compliment each other is ideal, and over the course of a week, spacing certain muscle groups certain days apart also helps. I stick to a 5 day workout schedule, so I usually have one muscle group per day (Leg, back, shoulder, arms, chest)

Chest + Triceps are good (i. e., bench presses use triceps)
    Biceps +Triceps are good
    Chest + Biceps are NOT good (biceps are a pull muscle, triceps and chest are push muscles)
    Legs should have its own, separate day.
    Back + shoulders is good
    Back + biceps is good (biceps and back are pull muscles)
    Abs can be paired with really any workout, but I'd recommend it with back or legs, but most definitely with cardio. Most people run for cardio, and abs are built better during a run than during a crunch (sprint intervals give really unbelievable ab results)

Finally, after working 2 muscle groups, you want to give them time to heal properly. This is done by not working muscle groups that use the ones you just worked out to any degree. So you might start with legs and abs, chest and triceps (push), rest day, biceps and back (pull), shoulder and abs, arms, then rest day.

0|2
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!

What Guys Said 6

• Depends how hard you go. The purpose of only doing 2 - 3 body parts is so that you can put more focus on them and completely destroy them. That way when you're super sore a day or two later you're not so sore and can put in just as much effort into other body parts.

Whole body workouts you just can't hit the individual muscles as hard, because they're more neurologically taxing. So you'll hit more parts and burn more calories, but none of the muscle groups will be hit has hard as you would in a single 2-3 muscle group workout. But the benefits are whole body workouts are that you can generally burn more calories if that's your goal. You'll generally get stronger than you would on a 2 day split and depending on the workout you'll be able to hit the same muscle groups more often throughout the week. For example if you have your current split you might get 3 - 4 workouts in a week, but that's 2 for your upper body and 2 for your lower body. But 3 - 4 whole body workouts hit both upper and lower 3 - 4 times a week.

Personal recommendation if you are focused on putting on size on specific muscle groups, then he's correct. If you just want to get bigger all around and stronger all around, then he's wrong. All depends on your goals.

0|1
    0|0
  • He is right. Working out 2 major muscles in one workout is bad and isn't really effective. You can do a major muscle and minor muscles like what you do chests and tris. But not 2 completely different spots like tris and legs. When doing compound workouts, there are several muscles being worked and you only train the muscles that have the most emphasis.

0|0
    0|0
  • I tend to go with, chest and triceps, back and biceps, shoulders and traps, legs and core.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, you should take into caution which combination you would be doing.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. It isn't.

The only thing i'd say is not to do something like triceps before chest. Most chest exercises use triceps, so if you burn them out first it would be hard to hit chest.

but otherwise, its fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well there's a lot of muscles associated with "back" and "legs".

Generally you want an exercise that focuses on each of the major muscles. You have lats, traps, rhomboids and lower back for the majority of your back muscles for example.

Generally when you're working "back" you're also incorporating your biceps and your rear delts.

When doing chest you're usually incorporating triceps and your anterior delts/medial.

Look up some programs online and see which is good for you. You're not just doing two exercises for a workout are you?

0|1
    0|0