How do you define "skinny"?

The answers to this question and this question make it seem that women define skinny in a different way than how I would define it. I... Show More

I think the difference in opinion arises from the fact that men typically see skinny as a negative physical trait. Exactly what constitutes skinny varies from one guy to the next, but wherever a woman is so thing that it starts to become unattractive
*"so thin" is what I meant above.

anyway, that is the point where a guy will consider her "skinny". That is why when a guy calls a girl skinny it is almost always preceded by the word "too".

Women on the other hand seem to use the word skinny as a word
that means thin, slender, petite, or in shape. Neither side is right or wrong, it is just interesting to me that the word means different things to men and women. Thanks for your answers everyone!

Most Helpful Girl

• Somewhat depends on the context and what the girl is getting at when she says it.

Girls tend to, when referring to size, namely be referring to their waist/hips/rump, not their whole figure. Other weight gain/loss areas will be clarified (Ex: "Ugh, I look fat in this" vs "Ugh, my legs look awful")

Skinny is generally regarded as a size, being skinny to me is that slight step below thin, where much lower and ribs will be seen. Generally, the term skinny alone implies a lack of "undesired" body fat. She can still have a bust and hips.

Curvy goes two ways. One- just refers to the hips-waist-bust ratios. More of the hourglass look.

Curvy also extends out to the pleasantly plump so to speak. The girls whose figures are not amorphous blobs, but there is weight there, probably enhancing the curvature that's there anyway.

Asker upvoted
    • I think you have hit upon the disagreement. It seems that when a girl uses the word skinny, it references the waist area in particular, whereas guys often use it to describe a whole figure.

• Right- you asked how girls use the word and that's what they do.