How many days a week should you work out to get the best results?

I Been working out two times a day but I heard its better to work out every two days so the muscles heal what do you think ?

also I have a four pack at the top of my stomach but can't seem to get it at the bottom .. what exercise can I do to get that?

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on what your workouts consist of. If you're doing about 1 hour of cardio, you can do it every day until your joints refuse to move.

If you're trying to build lean muscle and get all sexy-like, try to work different groups on different days(for example, shoulders/back on Monday, plyometrics on Tuesday, then biceps/triceps on Wednesday) or just skip every other day if you do full-body strength training. Either way, you're going to have to take a few days off every week to recover. Make sure you get in plenty of protein!

GAG Video of the Day

GirlsAskGuys on the streets of Chicago!

What Guys Said 16

• cardio you can do every day if you don't get carried away. Weights, 3X a week if you're really pushing it, with heavy weights.

The other days, go to the gym and check out the guys just for fun.

• lol about "the other days..."

• If you overtrain you'll just hurt yourself. And girls don't get six packs unless they're anorexic or on steroids. Hormones and all that, they generally won't ever look like that.

• It depends what type of workouts you're doing, how you put them together into a schedule, and what your goals are.

• if you're doing strength training...have at least one full day of rest between workouts where you don't work that muscle group.

Remember...muscle build when you rest, not when you work out.

• It depends on what your goals are and what the type of working out is. What are your overall goals?

Cardio can be done everyday. Resistance training (of one muscle group) should be done no more than once every 48 hours.

Regarding your abs, its likely that's just your trouble spot and you won't begin to see definition there until you have next to no fat left on your body. It's the last place fat will disappear from. No matter how much muscle you put there, you can't control the rate at which fat burns off. Nor can you spot burn.

• Welp, technically you should be working out 7 days a week...wether its weights, resistance or cardio...(increasing your breathing rate for 30minutes a day is oh so important, even if its just walking.) ...buuut 1 day a week rest is all you need, as long as your not doing some sort of physically taxing job,...like a squash or football player you don't really need anymore than 1 day rest...i personally like to do 60 pushups when I wake up, and 20 every time I do up and downstairs in my house lol

More from Guys
11

What Girls Said 5

• Muscles develop best when you give them a days rest. But you should do some sort of cardio every day. Running burns the most, but can be difficult on your joints.

• Work out or do something most days of the week and you'll be just fine. Workout for about 45minutes-1hour

• The ACSM usually suggests cardio activity every day, for at least 30-40 min per day. As far as resistance training, that should be spread out to non consecutive days of the week, which allows for a day of rest in between. So maybe 3 days of the week you do endurance and cardio, then the off days, just do some easy cardio on a bike or swim.

• depending on what your goal is you need to work out 3-6 days.

• I'm in the process of doing that. I only do 1-2x a week due to DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) you know that pain you get the days after a workout?

You build muscle on your recovery days. If you have DOMS you're still recovering. No point beating a dead horse.

I, personally, am just working out on my glutes and I found doing 8 different workouts (2 for each exercise day) really helps me to continue to shock my muscles so I continue getting DOMS. I'm seeing progress which is exciting.