Being an 'attention whore'

Being an 'attention whore'

So as a girl who posts a lot of selfies I freqently get called an attention seeker or somehing along those lines.

One of the main reasons I get called an attention whore is that people say I know I look good. But hear me out, what if I don't? Just because you find someone to be good looking or attractive doesn't mean they think they are or they haven't been told otherwise. So you go and bring some negativity to their posts.

I recently posted a selfie of my body. For me that took hours of working up the courage to do because I've always had issues with my body. Then, after seeing some of the first things posted and some of the messages in my inbox, I logged off for a few days to get the nerves to check the rest because I really dont need anymore negative thoughts about my body.

Don't get me wrong there was positivity too. I always go on what my mother told me when commenting on people's appearance; if you haven't got anyhing nice to say dont say anything at all.

On people's posts who are 'unattractive' no one calls them an attention seeker. So why do we have to assume that everyone that you deem attractive has a great self image, and therefore you can bring the hate?

What's so wrong with wanting a little attention anyway, dont we all?

Is being an attention whore really the worst thing going on in the world?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 28

I guess they see it as you showing off.. deep down you know you are attractive even if you don't want to fully admit it. For instance i doubt you would lust over a guy who is below a 7/10 on first glance. Girls who genuinely think they look bad will be more attracted to average/less good looking guys.

• "Don't get me wrong there was positivity too. I always go on what my mother told me when commenting on people's appearance; if you haven't got anyhing nice to say dont say anything at all."

Your mother's is a great item of advice. It applies, though, only to ugly people.
    If they are good-looking, and it makes them power-drunk and vanity-intoxicated (as is the case when someone is called "attention whore", if that's done on grounds), it's perfectly fine to criticize, and even mock.

"What's so wrong with wanting a little attention anyway, dont we all?"

We for sure all want it. Like all traits of the mind, narcissism and vanity are no on-off sort of thing. It's a continuum, with real people falling in between 0 and 100.

"Is being an attention whore really the worst thing going on in the world?"

No. But it probably is one of the silliest, and less intelligent attitudes.

• Someone who constantly post pictures of themselves is seeking attention, plain and simple. And doing it often and revealing as much of your body as you can get away with to get that attention is "attention whoring". You just spent this myTake admitting this is what you do, but then you can't seem to understand why you are getting called exactly what you show yourself to be.

It took you hours to work up the courage to post a selfie of your body. the reason it took you hours was because it was your good sense arguing that doing so would be wrong, attention seeking, and not too bright. But you bad sense won over your good sense and you posted it.

And it does not matter if you have confidence in your looks being good, or not. Either way, posting your pictures so often is attention whoring. Is being an attention whore the worst thing going on in the world? No. Murder, rape, maiming, etc. are all worse. So if you want to ask if you are that bad, then we can tell you that you are better than a murderer.

Posting a picture of yourself having fun, or with a new hairstyle... fine, even interesting. But over and over with the here I am rate me crap is ridiculous.

Negative comments bother you, and you whip out your mother's advice of not saying any thing if you don't have something nice to say. If you were walking down the street dressed ridiculously, I would not say a thing. But if you stopped me and asked how you look, I will tell you the truth. If you did not want my opinion, you should not have asked for it. And if you keep putting yourself in my face, I will tell you, also.

Simple truth: if you do not want people commenting on your looks, don't constantly put your pictures in their faces. And it does not take a lot of common sense to realize that if you ask people for their opinions, you should expect that people will give you their opinions. So quit your whining!!!

• Simply posting a selfie and seeing how people respond does not, I believe, make a person an attention whore.

Nothing is wrong with wanting a little attention. Attention whores don't want a little attention. They want A LOT of attention. They get upset when they don't get A LOT of attention. In answer to your rhetorical question, "don't we all?" I would say for the most part yes.

• So you use a MyTake to justify your attention whoring?

You must be really insecure. Maybe instead of uploading pictures of yourself all around the web, how about actually working on those insecurities? Pretty sure that will do a lot more for you in the long run.
    Because lets face it - even if you keep posting pictures of yourself online and get positive feedback - that will not fix your core-issue of being uncomfortable with yourself. Not to mention it will get worse anyway as physical looks are fleeting.

• There's nothing wrong with wanting some attention, and don't worry about what they say, they're just jelous because they don't look like you. That should motivate you to keep looking even better so that the haters can keep crying..

• Well, you definitely know how to use click bait. lol.

No, that title belongs to genocide.

Ain't nothing wrong with a little attention, and forget the nay-sayers, because they are probably jealous of your looks, anyway.

• Those are some gorgeous asses!

• People who say someone "attention whore" are full of lust actually. That's why they're there to check their pics.

• how come under 18's are the realist?

• You might be a narcissist.

• Doesn't bother me, I rarely even post in "rate me" topics. To answer the last question: do what you got to do, fuck the rest. It means that there are Bound to be haters and hater's job is to hate. So let them do their jobs and you do your own thang. Finito.

• Yeah but nobody wants this site bombarded with the same people posting picture after picture of themselves. You're only doing it to feed your own ego.
    It's unhealthy and gives people are really shitty impression of you. People who waste time on frivolous shit like that often have no personality because they think their looks supersede everything else.

• I always need some comedy:P

• Anyone who takes lots of selfies are attention sluts.. We don't need to see your face every 15 minutes, plus you come off as self absorb, selfish and tacky. ctaking lots of Selfies are for those people who don't have real hobbies

• Make a game out of it. Post a new selfie each time someone write Attention whore ! Let's see how long it lasts. lol

I don't get why people don't just block you if they hate you posting so many pictures of yourself on a topic that is about posting pictures of yourself.

• Came read, stayed for the picture.

• Yes, it is, because it's all for the satisfaction for your own vanity. Frankly I don't care how much courage it takes for you to post your body, it's the fact that you still felt the need *to* post it to begin with. Who asked you to do it? Why did you WANT to do it?

Self-validation, I would assume? And by extension, vanity. Though if it's any consolation I hold the same regards of ANYBODY who feels the need to incessantly post their face/body anywhere, regardless of what they look like. Selfie culture in general bothers me.

I just think back to the 1980's and imagine what would happen if somebody ran up to you and showed you a photo album FILLED with nothing but photos of themselves from different angles. Just, an entire album.

You'd think that person was fucking insane and had some kind of narcissistic personality disorder. "Hey, random stranger. Here's a pic of my body, it took a lot of courage for me to take this and show it to you ;_;"

• Mate, There is a big difference between simply posting a single innocent picture of your self, And posting a picture where you know full fucking rightly you look good in, and you are wearing next to nothing or skimpy underwear and trying to show as much tits and ass as physically possible.

If you put an extremely revealing picture up, That you look good in, You will get called an Attention whore, because quite frankly... its attention whoring. Why else would you do it?

• When compared to people in africa, no, it's not the worst thing in the world, butttt, are we comparing it to people in africa, no!

• More from Guys
    8

What Girls Said 11

• Well, there is only one reason for posting selfies and that IS attention...

Personally, I don't think it's healthy if you base your self esteem on how many likes you can get for your carefully crafted selfie.

• I just can't stand people who constantly spam pictures of themselves asking to be rated. It's like "you've been rated already and given an answer. Why do you need to keep spamming a picture of yourself?"

If you need approval of other people on how you look. Then no matter how many times others call you pretty or beautiful you will never believe them. So any opinion you get about your looks isn't going to help you with your self esteem when it comes to how you look.

• ngl all your mytakes are flawless

• "For me that took hours of working up the courage to do because I've always had issues with my body."

okay.. why? it really seems like you're forcing yourself to post pics. i know you CAN but why exactly? if you really need to work on a picture for hours so you can get a couple likes then thats really sad. yeah people who post lots of pics seem like attention whores. going to disneyland and posting a selfie is okay. posting a selfie with the caption " bored" or "just because" makes you look like you have no life.

• Being an attention whore isn't the worst thing in the world. But being vain is a major character flaw.

I post selfies to Facebook, Instagram, and occasionally Twitter. And do I get happy when a get a few dozen likes? Yes. It's nice to get a little pat on the back every now and again.

However, posting 3 seflies a day, every single day is tiring to everyone who isn't a loyal fan of your face. And not saying people should only think of others when posting on their social media. But, just as people have the right to post a gallery of their face or body, other people have a right to perceive that person as an attention whore. Again, a few selfies a week isn't that bad. But at a certain point someone is just fishing for compliments and validation of their beauty or showing off their beauty (even if other people don't perceive them as pretty or even attractive)

• the problem with being self-conscious is that you should NOT post pics on the internet, not for strangers, and then blatantly ask them to judge said pics. people on the internet are mean. hell, people are mean in real life! bullies abound! but the internet affords everyone anonymity to say whatever they want. when nice people have bad moods, they can let those bad moods out much more easily online in the form of snarky comments, bc snarky comments make people feel so much better.

if you're self-conscious, you should not ask strangers on the internet to judge you. it's not going to work out well and you're going to cause yourself more harm than healing. love yourself and never worry about strangers on the internet loving you. ask close friends you love and /know/ you can trust to be honest with you - link them your pics, ask them to judge you. strangers on the internet? not so much. you're going to get hurt unless you're an attention seeker that enjoys attention regardless of its positivity or negativity.

plus you're always going to look like you're attention-seeking - no matter how you approach it, you're gonna look like you're an attention seeker. ugly people look like attention seekers too! it's assumed of most people who post pics. but again, why worry about it? that's just another worry about what people think about you.

i'm not trying to tell you not to post pics or that it's the only way to avoid being called an attention whore. what i'm trying to say is: posting pics for judgment from strangers on the internet isn't healthy for you if you're self-conscious bc people can be hurtful, and that no matter what people are going to consider it 'attention seeking'. but who cares? in the end, just do you. :)

• First of all, most people who post pictures of themselves are confident and know they look good. People who don't think they look attractive don't post pictures of themselves continuously. Especially selfless. That's common sense.

Second of all, when you post a picture, you want attention for what you are doing in that picture and usually to show off looks, actions, or events. So pictures = I want attention. That's what they were made for: to show off something.

• Just take it as a compliment... use the fucking brain god gave you.

• I can totally relate, especially in highschool, people said that to me a lot

• Being attractive doesn't mean you are an attention whore? Lots of people post selfies... Your attractiveness shouldn't mean you are seeking attention more than the next person? After all, are not ALL people who post, "Selfies", wanting validation and "likes?" let's be honest here...

• so fucking true, can i just print this out and stick it on my wall