Dark Skinned Girls

I'm making this for dark skinned women of all races, not just for African American women because unfortunately dark skinned women of all races go through this. I've noticed a lot of younger dark skinned women especially teens have this unfortunate mindset that says light skin is the right skin because they see it in the media, and even hear it from their own families, and that they'll always be ugly because of their darker skin. I'm not making this to bash those of a lighter skin tones, but to help these darker skinned girls love their unique dark skintone.

Now, as a darker skinned woman you've probably heard/felt the following:

• You have masculine features.
  • You're ugly because of your darker skintone.
  • You're super ghetto and rude.
  • You're mean with a stand off-ish attitude.
  • That you shouldn't go out and enjoy the sun because you'd get darker.
  • You have @#$% coloured skin.
  • Guys will never like you.
  • Light skinned girls are prettier.
  • "You're pretty for a dark skinned girl."
  • You're automatically jealous of light skinned girls.

Even though there's negative things felt and said about having dark skin there are benefits from it too. The following benefits are:

• You have more melanin in your skin which means less sun damage, and better protection.
  • Skin Cancer is not a big a risk.
  • Bright clothing makes you look fun, and lively because of the contrast with your skintone.
  • You age better and look younger than what you really are.
  • You don't have to worry about freckles.
  • You have naturally warm, and glowing skin so there's no need to tan.
  • You have a beautiful and more exotic look which makes you unique.
  • Your skin looks way more beautiful when you're under the sun rather than out of it.
  • Red and purple lipstick shades are your friend.
  • No matter what eyeshadow colour your wear there's always a mystifying look when combined with your skintone.

And last, but not least...

• You're bomb not matter what stupid trends are in.

Dark Skinned Girls

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 52

• I've never understood this. A beautiful girl is a beautiful girl, regardless of skin tone. I've met, known, and in a couple of cases, dated some girls with dark skin who were lovely.

The irony is that the only people who seem to care about this (in the US, at least) are black people.

• Pretty much, I have NEVER seen anyone hate on a dark skinned girl and say that white skin looks better. Maybe it's because I live in florida, but most of the people I know prefer darker skin. Hell I even dated a Brazilian girl for 2 years and I'm your sterotypical white guy that is slightly tan

• Black people probably care more because statistically, it is the least physically desired group. You wouldn't know because you aren't black, but we do get more hate on skin color. None blacks may face ridicule based on beauty but black people really do get comments more specific to their race rather than as individuals.

• I get that, but the "racism" is blacks hating on other blacks, which, again, I don't get. I admit, I live in northern California, which as things go is relatively non-racist, and there is plenty of interracial dating (whites, blacks, Asians, Latinos, etc.) and so forth, but the ONLY people I ever hear commenting about skin shade (in both positive and negative ways) is black people. It's kind of sad.

• Nothing wrong with dark skinned ladies, they are very attractive.

• I saw a video relating to this that broke my damn heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkpUyB2xgTM

People say the media doesn't influence our perspectives but these children have clearly been influenced by our movies and television and our fashion magazines. It's so widespread and although it is slowly changing there is still this mentality that "white is right". We need to celebrate all skin tones because it's unacceptable that children think people are bad or less intelligent due to the color of their skin.

• Omg my boyfriend told me about those experiments (cause I'm interested in psychology) and every time I think of it I don't even know how to react, it's so awful..

• Referring to the video, obviously

• It's always the white man's fault

• Mmmmm chocolate :P
    Delicious MyTake :P

• Nice take. I know it was meant for people with dark skin, and I know one white guys opinion does not mean much in the grand scheme of things, but I truly believe you don't judge a person by the color of their skin.

Beauty comes in all shapes, sizes and colors. It would be a very boring world if all the people on it were the same skin color. I may not find all dark skinned women attractive, but in the same breath, I don't find all white or light skinned women to be attractive. All I know is, I would never let the color of a women's skin be the determining factor in how great she is.

• I really dont see why dark skin women are so insecure about this, men are not nearly as judgmental about skin color as women are. If we see a hot girl then we know it regardless of skin color, and in media representation there are plenty of dark skin beauties representing you, recently a dark skinned indian American won miss universe, and in victoria secret you have plenty of dark skinned, African or otherwise models.

I very much doubt its common for the minority of guys who truly dislikes dark skin to openly voice it to such women. So this insecurity and inferiority complex of darkskin women mainly comes from the treatment they receive from other women, and maybe the media which puts white people on top (but this affects both men and women, and it shouldn't be surprising when white people dominate the western world)

If anything its dark skin men who should feel undervalued, since dark skin is associated with low status among males, and often associated with violent or criminal behavior. women are way more open about not wanting to date darker skinned men, and its very noticeable that dark skin men need to do a lot more to prove their value to get a chance at dating women compared to white men.

• Actually insecurities like that come from the insults men, women, and the media throw out there. People no matter what gender or race disliking dark skin isn't uncommon at all. Darker skinned men are also preferred more over darker skinned women. Men actually are more judgmental when it comes to skin colour than women are. Even though there was a dark skinned Indian Miss Universe it doesn't change the fact that darker skinned girls get more hate than anyone else when it comes to skin colour.

• Actually that's the complete opposite from what I see. You'll even find entire youtube channels and shit dedicated to spitting and shitting on women just for being darker skinned. They've even invented skin bleaching creams in quite a few countries to help women be lighter.

• well thats called confirmation bias, you filter out evidence that contradicts your belief, but actively look for evidence that can support it. The reality is that on the internet you can find hate towards any group, some more than others but it doesn't truly reflect on how people would act in real life. skin bleaching has more to do very old cultural phenomenon as being associated with being working class. It might affect mens choices in countries with traditional values, but in progressive countries it doesn't have nearly the same effect. as i mentioned a guy who has only seen attractive white women, and gets this image reinforced by the white centered media might go online and say some shit like he doesn't find dark skin girls attractive, but that same guy if he went outside and saw a girl like keke palmer he would eat his own words. Some guys might not want to admit it due to cultural upbringing but the attraction is there unless he is gay.

• I agree with the bright clothing. I saw this one girl who's skin was super dark and she had on this yellow and white "new girl-ish" dress and she looked really cute

• I agree completely very good article!

• I want fuck dark skin/black girl now, is there any girl available for a pretty handsome white European guy?

• I don't want non-white children. This is very important to me personally, because of my blonde hair and blue eyes. I want to preserve that.

• They are many attractive dark-skinned girls though. See them often in California. But I still don't want non-white children. Therefore I only date white or East Asian girls. I guess it's the same for most white guys.

• I just love dark skinned women. no matter what the rest of the society says about them!!

• I think all shades of women are beautiful with that being said I've seen many beautiful dark skinned women, I also noticed that you posted a picture of Kelly Rowland and in my opinion she is incredibly beautiful

• Out of the black races, I actually like the dark skin women the most.

Especially the contrast between the dark brown and the pink. You know what I'm talking about.

Crude? Yes but still a positive.

There's nothing wrong with having darker skin. Both genders have it and there's nothing masculine about it.

• The darker the berry..

• I prefer women closer to my color but some of the women I've thought were the most beautiful were daker

• That's nice... but there's no need for that to be told. ... everybody knows dark color is beautiful. .

• Yeah I agree. I'm white and I like black girls and especially indian girls. I like skinnier girls though and most black girls I see are bustier. (Not my type) I also don't like busty white girls. I don't judge by skin color but rather body type (for attractiveness)

• People who use A race to describe themselves are not describing who they are as a person. They're human and each individual character department defines what I think of you not the color of your skin. But your name might have an effect how I feel about you. if I've had bad experiences with people with that name. Or that they might work the other way if you have someone named test given me popped positive experiences in my life I might think positive

• You can tell the women that all you want, but it won't make me or other men view dark skinned women as more attractive. I can't help what I'm physically attracted to and light skinned women are the only ones I'm attracted to.

• Oh no what are we gonna do without you? Lol! One less jerk to like. Pretty sure she was addressing and uplifting other WOMEN so... Yeaaaa... And don't speak for other men or in your case boys.

• Because you are an extremely ignorant person and I think I should shed some light on this. I could say the same to you. You obviously care enough that you keep responding, too. I care about making you realize how stupid you sound. We don't need anymore ignorant people in the world. We have enough of them. Yes, you have every right to voice your opinion and no one is stopping you from doing it. Just like I have every right to voice my opinion and my opinion is that your comment is irrelevant, unnecessary and ignorant. Me responding to your opinion doesn't make me hurt or offended. It just simply means I want to respond. And you still haven't given me a reason to why i might be hurt or offended. What reason would I possibly be hurt or offended?

• @FriedChickeneisha

Its very easy to tell he got to you, it just screams butthurt about your posts, i dont agree with him, but if you really didn't care or didn't get angry, you wouldn't keep responding to him, and it seems to me he is just responding to provoke you at this point because he can tell it works.

• I like darker skinned Asians and pail Asians...

• More from Guys
    32

What Girls Said 71

• Women with darker skin are so much fun, I love how bubbly they are (not all darker women of course, my intention isn't to stereotype) ! They are gorgeous too :)

• Its so mess up how people view dark skin girls like in India they make dark skin girls beach their skin to look whiter. Its so ridiculous!

• Great take! I think some people are still missing the point though because they don't understand it, having not experienced it themselves.

• I'm dark skinned... and I thought I was unattractive for the longest time. This made me feel good about myself. Thank you. :)

• Skin cancer is still a very big risk if you have dark skin. Sure, you won't burn as easily, but skin cancer results from UV damage at the molecular level, not how burned/pale you are.

• but dark skin naturally has high SPF and refracts UV rays naturally so while darker people CAN get skin cancer they are much more likely to than say a redhead for example because their skin alone would be comparable to a redhead wearing SPF 50 sunscreen everyday.

A better thing to point out would be dark skin's people potential for vitamin D deficiency which is much higher than it would for say a redhead because of that extra UV protection in their skin naturally it takes a lot more sun to get adequate levels of vitamin D for a dark skinned person than it does for a redhead.

Disclaimer: I am using redheads as polar opposites of dark skin people for example purposes only. Obviously this may not be true for ALL redheads or ALL dark skinned people as redheads can obviously still get vitamin d deficiency and dark skinned people can obviously still get skin cancer

• @iNeedAUsernameNow
      yeah of course, darker-skinned individuals are less likely to get skin cancer than someone who's almost literally white, like most red-heads as you mentioned. I just thought I'd comment on the skin cancer part of this post because with the op saying 'Skin Cancer is not a big a risk', that's quite misleading. It's a lower risk, but still a risk nonetheless.

I actually remember reading a stat a few years back that African Americans had a higher rate of a certain form of skin cancer than pale-skinned people because of the combination that with darker skin, it's harder to detect any abnormalities on the surface of the skin that could lead to early detection. Also, that idea of how more melanin is equivalent to higher UV protection gives a false sense of security.
      A good tagline would be that in reality, skin cancer is colour blind. :/

• Personally, I will say this.
    The misconception is that dark skin people have more melanin than light skin people.
    That is incorrect.
    Darker skin individuals than the same amount as melanin as someone that is lighter skinned.
    The only difference is the rate at which the melanin is broken down which can account for the skin complexion differences.

Also, I'd like to say dark skinned women are beautiful.
    And although I am not very dark... I have never been hated for my skin color.
    I often get checked out daily by men of different races.
    I notice that women who are extremely dark in complexion (tend to go through the discrimination that you speak of).
    I am glad you posted this take to empower women that go through this, and remind them that they are beautiful.

• You know, I am always ALWAYS envious of beautiful dark skinned girls. I can definitely appreciate their beauty.

• that's a nice take :)

• I think it greatly depends on where you're from , live and how you were raised. Because in my opinion not every dark skinned woman goes through all that negative crap.

• lol i dont have skin color issues but i remember one time in 10th grade i had beef with another girl and one guy made a comment saying i was jealous of her because she's light skinned. he was soo stupid for that comment, like im gonna be mad and hate someone JUST because they're yellow. nope, not their personality or the way they treat people - it just has to be because she's lighter than me.

• 23h

they are beautiful

• ygly and beautiful people in every nation

• I honestly feel that people need to ignore the supposed beauty "norms" that are out there. Yes, culture sometimes devalues darker women, but the media and equal rights activists love to remind us this and tell us that everyone thinks we're masculine and unattractive, which is a super hurtful thing to hear constantly. I think we'd all be happier if we didn't have to put ourselves into certain groups of having dark or light skin, and if we could just love ourselves for who we are.

• Dark skin can look really stunning and I think dark skinned girls look the best in bright colorful clothing. All these women are gorgeous!

• i'm naturally darker skinned and love the beach which makes even MORE dark skinned. i haven't heard any of the negative things said to me or have felt that and i can't imagine having to feel that way about something you can't change. this take makes me appreciate the kind of society and family i grew up in, dark skin is a blessing and i wouldn't ask for anything else :D

• This is a lovely post

• I always considered dark skinned women very beautiful, especially black women, their skin is like always shining.

• Why are the white men coming on here saying they have dated dark skinned women? So it's ok because white men will date dark skinned women. Why do white men on this website have a superiority complex where if they find a dark skinned women attractive that suddenly makes everything ok because they think a white mAn liking dark skinned women should make dark skinned women feel validated. No I'm not dark skinned I'm far from it in actually the same color as Mariah Carey. I just feel like dark skinned women don't need white men to validate their attractiveness and all I see is sexual comments from white men. Ok so just because you fucked a dark skinned chick does not mean a dark skinned woman should feel validated. Sex is sex

• Coming from someone who is super fair, I love dark skin. On women, and men. Most of the most beautiful women I've ever seen are pure African with skin very, very dark.

• Oh my god, I needed this because I am dark skinned and most guys don't look my way. Not only that, but I am the social opposite of most dark skinned girls so people take advantage of me. Thank you for posting this.

• More from Girls
    51