If you are fat, I'm going to call you fat, damnit!

Is it me or have we suddenly become way over sensitive when it comes to using the new F word these days?

Yes, I know, science tells us that being fat is largely our parent's fault. Your mom either didn't eat enough when you were developing in her womb, or you lucked out on some crappy genes, or maybe your parents just didn't know better and gave you a shitty diet when you were young. But none of these are any reason why anyone has to stay fat.

Lets face the facts for a moment here. In today's age of science and personal development, losing fat is largely a solved problem. The information is freely available everywhere, and anyone who wants to lose weight can do it. Which boils down to one thing - if you're fat it's because you don't want to stop being fat.

So if this is something you're doing to yourself, why should the rest of us have to tip toe around your problem? If you're feeling insecure about it, then lets just call out the elephant in the room and deal with it.

When I call people out on being fat, I'm not doing it because I get some perverse pleasure out of putting other people down. I never understood how much somebody else weighs has anything to do with me. What I do want to achieve is to give that person a bit of feedback that they're heading towards an unhealthy situation. I am telling them that they are doing something wrong, in the hopes that they will get the message and start doing something better for themselves.

If they feel a bit hurt by it, well, yeah... maybe they should. They're fat! They're insecure about their fatness! It's not healthy for them, and it's not healthy for us to be around people who are so insecure that we need to mince our words around them.

I want you to be healthier and happier and I'm willing to give you my support to get there. But I'm not willing to keep up the white lies for the sake of preserving your own insecurities, especially for something that is slowly killing you.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 46

• You're fucking right! I'm a bitch when it comes to talk about weight, sorry but I think that if you work hard, you can get whatever you want. There is plenty of fat people who become fit after years of hard work, BECAUSE OF COURSE IT TAKES TIME, you just need to want to change.

• I liked this take and I agree with you. If people can call me skinny and tell me to eat more, I can tell them they're fat and need to eat less. I don't know why its turned into a double standard. Sometimes making someone aware of how big they've gotten can give them the drive to want to lose weight. It's not insulting to call someone out on their weight, especially if they don't realise just how big they are. This tip toeing needs to be ended!

• You've managed to articulate my point much more elegantly than I did. Thanks!

• I never once said it was ok either way, I actually said the opposite. Do you know how many times women on here get called fat and they're also in a healthy weight range for their height? It happens all of the time and it shouldn't be accepted either way.

I'm not offended by every little thing, I just think people are inconsiderate and for whatever reason they think someone elses weight is their business. And it makes me sad to see people, especially women constantly having this comparison battle with each other, it makes them look like a joke.

• There's just one thing tho...

NOBODY ASKED YOU!

Who do you think you are? Nobody said you had to tiptoe around anything but you damn sure don't need to be an asshole about it. Especially if your opinion was not wanted. Newsflash: fat people are well aware that they are fat. They don't need you or anyone else to tell them.

I'm considered fat and I've lost over 40 lbs. But guess what? You wouldn't be able to tell that because YOU DONT KNOW ME. Just like you don't know every fat person you see. Nobody likes a captain obvious.

• You're right. I don't know you, and you didn't ask me, so I'm not going to call you fat for no reason.

But if you post one of those "how do I look?" questions, I won't hold back.

• Bullshit you're not doing it to get some kind of pleasure from putting people down. If someone is fat they fucking know they're fat. Calling them out on it isn't some grand revelation - it's just being mean for the sake of being mean. Plenty of people out there who are skinny are extremely unhealthy, but no one "calls them out on it."

You don't care about their health, you just don't like looking at fat people and it makes you feel superior to make them feel shitty. News flash: other people don't exist for your pleasure amd comfort. If the sight of a fat person bothers you, that's YOUR problem, not theirs. Telling them they are fat doesn't help anyone except you. I said it already but I'll repeat it now: FAT PEOPLE ALREADY KNOW THEY'RE FAT.

Sure, it is possible to lose weight, but it is a fuck tonne of work and as people who don't strugglw with our weight, neither you or I are in a position to be telling people it's easy. It's not. It's one of the hardest things a person can do. If a person decides that it's not something they value enough to completely change their lives for, that is their choice. I used to smoke and I knew it was unhealthy but I smoked for years before I finally quit, because I just wasn't ready for that change. It really pissed me off when people would lecture me about it because it's none of their goddamn business. I can't imagine adding to that the hurtfulness of being told your appearance bothers someone enough to make them want to actually tell you you're fat.

Deal with your insecurities and stop using health as an excuse to hurt people's feelings. You're not helping, you're being a bully.

• ^^Exactly this.

Also I like how people assume that over weight people, aren't already in the process of losing weight. Like you said, it's a lot of work, it doesn't happen over night. It's rude to assume that they're not already eating healthy and exercising in order to change.

• The issue with him, isn't his writing, it's his ego and down right ignorance.

Words have meaning, if words didn't have meaning there would be no point in expressing ourselves.

I feel sorry for the people who agree with you, I don't care how many it is because you all need to learn to mind your own damn business when it comes to others appearance unless they ask you for advice.

It's insulting that you think the solution is so simple as shove water and vegetables in someone's face. I can almost bet that most people who over eat have emotional issues, it's still an eating disorder in my eyes.

And just like I don't jump at the opportunity to tell an anorexic or bulimic person "why don't you just eat" "stop being insecure about your weight and just eat".

People like you are looking for things to dislike about other to feel better about yourself and you've managed to convenience yourself that you have the answer to serious problems that others have and you don't.

• convince*

• The pics are right and wrong to everyone arguing about it. Yes if you eat a lot of junk food you will gain weight UNLESS you have a fast metabolism. I would say I have a normal metabolism because I can eat junk and gain weight unless I exercise. Hence, I exercise and try to limit my junk food intake.

• i don't think it's as simple as that picture.
    i love junk food and eat it everyday. i never gain weight and i've never been overweight. my body shape is pretty average but feminine (hourglass). some of my friends are doctors and they told me i'm thin by japanese standards but i think i'm average and have problem areas.

• I've read many of your posts here and I think you've got a very healthy attitude towards life. In my books, whatever shape you are, you're still cool.

• some of my ex's told me i'm average

• @Sara413 Look. If I saw a girl that's just average, then I'd be a true asshole to just make up random things about that girl just so I can give unsolicited advice. If I can't see that she's doing damage to her health, I have no reason to say anything at all. If I see somebody eat a consistently unhealthy diet, then regardless of their size, I'd say something about it. You're trying too hard to paint me as an asshole. So hard that your arguments aren't logical.

• Some people are happy the way they are though, and some "fat" people can be healthier than others. The thing is what you might consider fat isn't what someone else does. There's a difference between being honest and not sugar coating things and just being plain rude. I understand you want the person to be healthier but you can't force them. Everyone closes the path they go down and in the end it's up to that person alone. You could say as much as you want to them and all you could be doing is affecting their emotional health. Which isn't healthy either and they might go to drastic unneeded measures or hurt themselves.

• I think you're right.

• "if you're fat it's because you don't want to stop being fat" Oh, lol, you could start studying... Like, asap. Mwah!

• This is absurd. It truly is.

Everyone has their own issues. You included. Maybe yours isn't something you can physically see, but there's something.
    Overweight people are aware that they are. It isn't necessary to tell them..
    People who are overweight & go on to lose the weight do not do it because they have a "supportive person who wants them to be happier and healthier" calling them fat. They do it because they decide to. It's always ultimately up to them.

You can swear up and down that you mean well by it, but in reality you're just kind of being an ahole lol. There's a reason you have a preoccupying inclination to want to tell people they are fat, and it hasn't anything to do with the actual fat people or anyone else but you. I don't know the reason & maybe you don't either. This isn't even a formatted as question.
    But if you think hard enough that's what you're doing. Otherwise you wouldn't find it necessary to come online & let strangers know you feel this way. Because you know you'll get two reactions.

People who agree with you & justify this morbidness.
    And of course people (hopefully fat, right?) who disagree & are hurt by this.

Drug addicts use drugs compulsively & people who are overweight eat compulsively.
    Love ones of drug addicts do not call the drug addict hurtful names in order to be supportive & wanting them to be "happier and healthier" or whatever you said. They just don't do that. It's not normal behavior to use those harmful tactics when dealing with issues or people you truly care about.

But look maybe I do know why.., Not to say you're being abnormal, it's actually natural what you're doing. The cover-up you're using isn't..
    We are prone to categorize ourselves. We do it consciously and subconsciously. We like to find people we identify with (in your case people who are not fat) & it's very *postive* . A lot of the time it's harmless.(kids on a playground, inevitable cliques in high school) But the there's the big ones we get into (race, religion even gender and we all know the ugly side of those topics.
    The flip side of identifying with a group comes from a need to consistently disseminate.(which is what ur doing here on GAG) Which means the people opposite get thrown under the bus..
    and that can get very *negative*. like I said race is a big but clear example. It's where hatred comes into play.
    But it's human nature. We all do it.

I didn't mean to go off on a psychology tangent but that's just what this appears to be

• I respect the amount of effort you've put into this reply.

First, lets get this out of the way. I understand your point completely, and I still think you are 1.) wrong, and 2.) misunderstanding my point entirely.

Let's pick off the low hanging fruit first. Your whole analogy with drug addicts can be disproven with one simple question - what is the first step of AA/NA's 12 step program? It's "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.". People who love drug addicts and alcoholics do not shy away from their condition, instead they face it head on together with honesty and support. If they are an alcoholic, then it's ok to call out their alcoholism, right? So why is there this double standard?

Let's put it another way. You want to call me out for being an asshole, yet you shy behind "ahole" and "lol". Well... what's the point? I understand that what you really wanted to call me was "asshole", and hiding behind a mildly altered vocab isn't going

• Are you fat?

• No I'm not overweight, but I have people that I love that are.

• Totally agree. I'm kinda like you. I don't censor my words, and I'll speak my mind. Fat, heavy, obese, overweight these aren't bad words 😂. I call things as it is. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

• These MyTakes are becoming more and more ridiculous. Who cares? Their weight is none of your business. Focus on yourself. People like you are just sad.

• I don't really understand what the point of this take is. Someone else's weight & health are none of your business. Okay, they're fat... I'm sure they know that already, even if they're in denial. But if they're in denial, I don't understand why you think it's your duty to save them from their weight.

You may not be fat, but you definitely have flaws (& things you need to work on) just like everyone else. Please remember that.

• Why do you have to call anyone anything? What business of yours what size people are? It has nothing to do with you. You can't force your will on anyone...

• First of all, calling people fat is just rude.
    I agree that we shouldn't tip toe and window dress the whole obesity issue like we do but then again it's their bodies & their choices.
    Yeah, it's probably because the simply lack the discipline to change their diets but then again what is it any of your business?
    The only problem I see is this whole glorifying of overweight trend where women who are obviously too big to an extend where there are actually health risks are called 'curvy' and 'sexy' by the media just to make overweight people feel better about themselves. That is just unhealthy and unethically wrong.
    I don't think we should tell overweight or obese people that they're perfect just the way they are because that isn't true but putting them down by being some piece of shit and calling them fat isn't gonna do anything either!

• It's not my fault that fat people just randomly decided to take the fat word as an insult. "Fat" wasn't even an insult as recently as 10 years ago. It's not a matter of being an asshole and calling people names, it's a matter of standing my ground and not letting this bullshit political correctness get out of hand.

• How about being a little more polite standing your ground calling them just obese instead of fat if you already decide to point out their obvious flaw?

• Because on the spectrum of larger sizes, it goes from chubby, to fat, to obese, to morbidly obese. "Fat" has a place in our language that describes something with a bit more granularity.

• A big reason people are fat is because it takes seconds to buy a burger for 99p than to cook a proper meal for a few more quid. It costs about £1 for a bottle of coke and £2 for a bottle of water.. This obviously doesn't apply everywhere, but its a problem which needs addressing. I guess people are sensitive because it's a criticism towards them and no one really wants to be criticised. It's annoying when people are 'too fat to go to jail', on benefits because they're too fat or even having to use up disabled facilities because they're too fat to walk..
    How does someone let themselves get to that point..
    I've always been slim just because I find it more appealing and I'm healthy. I do exercise, I might pig out but I don't eat obscene amounts.
    In my opinion, people should just try be more healthy, you don't need to be full on abs, running marathons or eating salads everyday.. I just mean for your system to be generally healthy!

• I totally agree with you. I just hope that being able to talk about this openly, and without judgement, instead of pretending that the issue doesn't exist, will be the first step towards actually doing something about making it easier to stay healthy.

• Yes exactly! I'm glad you asked this as well, it's something that needs addressing. But people do need to take more control and responsibility over themselves..

• Ugh, how rude.

• I agree to a point. I do think our society is way too sensitive about everything, especially the issue of weight. I also hate how really big girls try to claim that they're "curvy." No, just no. Having curves is completely different from having rolls! There is nothing wrong with being bigger, I do believe that beauty comes in all shapes & sizes. But stop trying to claim you're something that you're not.
    But I hope you aren't going around telling people that they're fat either, that's just rude and there's no reason for that type of behavior.

• I agree too, and I hate this thing about people calling fat rolls curves and calling skinny girls "skinny bitches" when if I called somebody a fat bitch they'd get on my case.

• You do realize some bigger people are healthier than skinny people.

• More from Girls
    26

What Guys Said 49

• 0|1
  • Just make sure you deliver this message tactfully!

• I'm not gonna call someone fat just to hurt them, but if I have to describe them I'm gonna say they're fat.
    People don't care when they call men skinny, and when they make fun of that, it's "acceptable", so why do I have to be careful around fat people while they aren't around me?

If you're fat, you're fat, it is what it is.

Good take ;)

• this pic isn't always accurate bro sorry... i eat burgers, fries very often and i drink soda (i drink soda daily, every morning)... and i'm skinny as fuck

so i prove yer pic wrong ;p

• Hahaha... lucky you. Be careful when you get a bit older and your metabolism slows down though, but enjoy it while you can.

• @sara413 ummm... i hardly get sick... and never had any health probs lately :|

• Yeah but your diet is unhealthy and will likely lead to health problems down the road. My point was that if we're strictly talking about being healthy, you're no healthier or unhealthier than a fat person with the same diet.

I eat food like number 2 but still thin. That's all about genes, Nordic people are superior and they don't need to work out to be healthy.

Since Asians can eat more than Nordic people and stay skinnier, does that make Asians even more superior?

No, because they are small and weak.

• The picture is misleading. One can lose weight eating only the mcdonalds menu.

www.niashanks.com/.../

• "I never understood how much somebody else weighs has anything to do with me. "

That's because it doesn't have anything to do with you.

As such, your unsolicited "advice" (judgment) is unwelcome and counterproductive. If a person wants your help with their health, they'll ask you for it. Until that time, think about minding your own business.

• I don't like calling someone fat. It's like me being called a nice guy. Yes I've made my mistakes and am paying the price for it everyday, I don't need somebody to come along and highlight something I already know. Just because I am what I am doesn't mean I deserve to be pointed out like some monstrosity.

• Good and honest take. Hilarious how people get triggered by it and immediately assume this is about some undeserved judgment.

• 0|0
    • what the fuck is with that link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvJHw64fxgQ

• I totally agree FAT is fat and people say when they see someone fat oh it's just big boned. For skinny people they say oh look how skinny it is. That's rude too. If you say fat you said something rude why, why is not same then for skinny people? Fat is fat.

• If you're an ass, I'm going to call you an ass, damnit!

(I think I got the offensive flavor just about right.)

• i agree. i don't support bullying, but then it's not healthy to be fat.

• You must remember though earlier I saw a post from a lady whom was skinny and was self conscience and lacking confidence because people commented on her size. Yes they may be fat but my motto is worry about yourself get your own health in order and maybe then you'll inspire them to live healthier, because when you start putting people down on their fatness it might just drop their confidence more.

• There is a certain percentage of fat people that are actually ill and their illness includes weight gain. An easy example is testicular cancer.

• Yeah. I know, and I think it's really rude to criticize someone for something they can't do anything about.

• I miss Phats. Always wanted one.
    new3.fjcdn.com/.../Runescape_fababa_1284030.jpg

• I'm still picking number 2 in the picture. I'd rather die fat and happy over skinny and not as happy.

• That's cool. So long as you're not stopping me from having this conversation, we're good. Enjoy your burgers.

• You just said my thoughts exactly! Like holy crap, are you my twin?

• im Eating all kind of shit burgers chips but also vegetables juice a lot of water but i have a problem evrything i eat gets burned fast and i can't get a lot of fat in my buddy lets say 0.10 fat per 6 burgers

• "Yes, I know, science tells us that being fat is largely our parent's fault. "

Always blaming the mothers. Don't you think she's been though enough raising you? lol.

• I would suggest that you say this to passers-by that are offended by your comments, but lose the tone of disdain for their false ignorance of a self-esteem issue, it will only serve to unnecessarily associate more bad feelings with the idea of being overweight.

I would assume that those closer to you would understand your viewpoint by now. And then the question of "what amount of fat do you think requires improvement" is relevant. Personally, I'd hate to ruin someone's self esteem just because they are at a weight you find unacceptable.

Either way, you shouldn't have to whisper with care about a health-positive issue you strongly advocate. In fact, it should probably be yelled, albeit compassionately.

• More from Guys
    29