The Physically Strong Female: Gross or Goddess?

Most people have a pretty clear idea of what they think of a woman with muscles. "Eeewwww, gross" is a common phrase uttered upon seeing a picture like the one here:The physically strong female: gross? Or goddess?

I completely understand...

However, I think we dismiss strong women too quickly. I think that a woman with muscle should be applauded and appreciated. Not only is she being forced to buck the weight of society's stereotypes off her broad shoulders, but she is striving to achieve something special, something rare: combining beauty and strength.

Traditionally, a man is strong and a woman is beautiful. They are the defining physical traits of both sexes and rarely ever do those traits get mixed up. Yet our hypothetical heavy lifting female friend is trying to do both, on the path to becoming both strong and beautiful. The best of both sexes in one package - the ultimate creation!

I can already hear you muttering...steroids...and yes it's true that many of the over-committed bodybuilding women come unstuck here. They spend too long on the juice, so hellbent on more muscle that they surrender their beauty, as they lose hair, grow deep voices etc. I don't think those women are goddesses - they have wasted their beauty. I still maintain however, that those women who maximise their strength while retaining their beauty are the ideal human beings, as they combine the best physical traits of both genders, see the lovely Anne-Marie Lasserre below:

Trouble is...not many people seem to agree. Women are discouraged from following the path of the goddess because they are worried about the negative reactions they will get from their family and their peers and from men. The traditional perception is that men in particular find women with muscles repulsive. It holds true sometimes, sure, but I believe that quite often that perception is merely the few loud men claiming to be the voice of the many. There are many reasons a man might refuse to admit that he likes strong women (perhaps another mytake in the works...), but let's just say that there are a lot more admirers of strong women out there than you think.

Thankfully the wheel is slowly turning. Instagram is full of gym selfies of women proud of their fit bodies. It's also full of supportive comments of those selfies - from both sexes. We are slowly becoming more accepting.

So I'm asking you today to consider rethinking your view of physically strong women. Give them a chance. If you know one, support their journey. If you are one or want to become one, I fully endorse your choice and I hope everyone in your life does to. Don't be afraid to tell your friends that you find them attractive. You don't have to hide anymore. Let's all appreciate the goddess.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 33

• I think they look hot but that may just be me

• Nope, not just you! There's a growing club, even in this comment section haha If you woke up one morning and looked like that, would you love it? Or you just think it looks hot and not for you?

• Cool! Well time to start rubbing that bottle and hoping a genie pops out haha, or hope you have great genes and can build muscle relatively quickly. And then your boyfriend would be completely and totally smitten :)

• Haha, hoping for a genie

• i just hate that tan.

• Yeah, it isn't standard beauty attractive, but many bodybuilders do it because the more tan you are the more the muscles stick out and are able to be showcased.

• Back in the day, both men and women likely had firm, muscular bodies as both did hard work day in and day out...

• more gross than goddes

• So not my ideal of beauty and I have muscles. I would never want to be that muscular.

• Interesting! Do you want less muscle yourself? Or you just think that the pictures are a bit extreme?

• I just like classic beauty from the 50's. When I get out of the military I will be slimming down. Muscle is necessary for our training.

• Ah I see. Thanks for the comment, and the explanation :)

• Strong women are amazing! I've been lifting weights consistently since I started HS cheer at age 15. We had to lift to get stronger and avoid injury. Plus, it helps to look good in your uniform. As my coach said, all girls need to lift weights because we're naturally weaker than boys to begin with.

• Naturally weaker doesn't mean always weaker. I've seen some pretty wimpy boys trying to be men when they are just wimpy little boys in a big man body. You are on the right track. Don't let muscles scare you off.

• @cindibb I know, I'm trying to improve to the point that I'm strong. I'm naturally thin and have always envied women with curves.

• What ever you want to make it depends on YOU. You can take it as far as your body can handle it. It's not about to much or not enough. Being who makes you comfortable is what makes you happy, if others don't like it will there isn't much you can do about it. But you can do something about what makes you feel good. I love being muscular and strong. When I began I didn't plan on being muscular but now that I am I love it.

• her boobs are so muscular!

• @EllieChan, actually the first thing a hard gainer sacrifices is the fatty boobs, if you are serious and keep at it, you can use those boobs for food and build a granite hard muscular chest, trust me guys will line up just to see them swell. You can't control fat, but you can control muscle.

• Freaky :p.

• guys on steroids don't look any less gross.

• I feel similar. If a woman is using steroids to build that muscle, then she really doesn't look good. But ones who work for it, awesome. They are beautiful, and they are strong.

• Thanks for commenting. Hypothetically speaking, do you think it would be a look you would want personally? Or just one you admire for others? I only ask cause it seems like those who admire it often don't actually want to look that way,

• No really a fan... But some girls look good though.

• ehh. I'm mixed. it can look good on some women, but then again so can everything.

• @may-papaya Very good answer, It really is a mixed bag of tricks. Hey it's nice to know you can go over the top and learn how people react that should lead you a bit. I'm very muscular and I have to be careful. I'm sensitive but honestly most people are not comfortable with something that's different, I also do not think you can legislate "likability" most people in our country are poor because they've been educated to be poor. LIfting builds the body, the brain the pain and mostly confidence. And guys do like it they just don't know how to deal with it. I'm cool about it.

• They look amazing and have gorgeous bodies, faces, and minds.

I just find extreme muscle on women unattractive as it reminds me of a man.

• What is "Extreme" in a world like we live in? For cryin out load it's only muscles. I think it would be interesting to know, if a man had a choice of 3 doors to pick from #1 FAT, #2 ANOREXIC or #3 MUSCLE BOUND what would be his choice for a life time mate? Ask a woman the same question in reverse what would be her choice in a man?

I'm very strong and muscular even measured by a man's standards, people whisper, I'm not that dull, people like A** H***s have opinions but at the end of the day, I dress conservatively, why? to not start a ruckus? No, to keep them from pre-judging me for there own well being, that is not a threat. Am I extreme, depends on what I wear, my biggest problem is finding stuff to fit in the normal world and fit in the flexed world. I guess I could be classified as a female cross dresser, a women's professional suit set is ridiculous on me, people think I'm wearing shoulder pads, sorry to disappoint you... NOT! Am I a user, only whispers, to date NADA

• As long as they can be comfortable in there skin. The biggest reason people reject anything is because they are not comfortable with "different". Most people are comfortable with things that don't change. That's why most progressives find it difficult to accept change when they are the ones who preach change and conservative minds are closed. I'm cool with whats under my skin. Muscles

• @cindibb I believe all women are beautiful in their own way and I admire how hard some of those women work to achieve their body, I just personally don't like it

• I think they look amazing. I'm not just a fan of the other tanning.

• Amazing like... if you woke up tomorrow and you looked like girls 2 and 3 how would you react? Would you be excited? Or devastated? Or just curious to know what it would be like?

• @cindibb some women seem to have the gift of adding muscle easily, even without GH. And if true, it's pretty funny that even the biggest dudes are taking GH to stay ahead of the girls..
      OK so your hubby takes GH? but can't match you? He likes your muscularity and strength in private, but not in public? What was his vision when he initially asked you to lift and got you into it? Was he only thinking of the bedroom, and not how life would be out in the 'real world'?

• My take Owner, to answer your question about what my hubby expected. I think he always thought I had potential, he got a trainer to work with me. I think my pride took over after I discovered how naturally strong I was but never knew it until I had a trainer who was amazed. I think it took time and curiousity before my hubby came around. He's been in it secretly for longer than I ever knew. It's complicated when a fantasy becomes a reality.

• I am a happily married woman who is vastly more muscular and stronger than my hubby. I'm not going to say he's 100% on board with the results but it was his idea to begin with, I just ran with it. I guess you could say I caught the bug. Now as far as a goddess is concerned, in his mind I fit that description in public NO WAY, I would never dress to make myself obvious but to the trained eye or those in the game, they can spot a female who wears muscles regardless of what we wear. I think the goddess mentality way of thinking screws it up negatively. Most people that I run into, not literally, who have an eye, never speak negatively and I make sure my hubby doesn't hear anything that could be read wrong. There is a contingent of followers who consider a muscular strong woman an alpha woman, I'm not sure I agree with that. My man struggles with his image. I do not flaunt it accept for him only. He's never complained, which is how it should be. He is intimidated but not because I intimidate him. Just my take, I'd like to hear from other women and not so much from the men on this issue?

• Thanks for sharing. I suppose it would make for very interesting relationships and gender roles if you pair a stronger woman with a weaker guy. I hope your husband doesn't struggle too badly with it - that would be a real negative. But I'm glad he got you into the weights, and you love it. Spread the word :)

• @cruelcold Oh you know he blushes in private, I'm cool with him in public or in front of the kids. But in private HE BLUSHES, I can't say, I don't appreciate that blush but as it goes, a blush is a rush. I just have fun with it. Besides this is what he wished for, not sure he really wanted what he got, but the blush says it all. Thanks for replying.

• He's so happy and embarrassed at the same time! xD

Do you mind being dominant over him in the slightest or?

• I think it looks unfeminine, I don't like it. To be fair i dont like guy body builders either

• sorry but i think muscles look totally gross and manly on women, I'm naturally really thin so people assume i work out or something despite not having obvious muscles but in reality, I'm scared of working out to the point where i actually start having muscles ewww, i never want them, regardless of what others say. In fact, most people I have known ENCOURAGE me to have muscles but i just dont care, i think they are manly and totally not feminine...

and tbh even MEN with those muscles look totally gross to me!!! dont get me wrong, i LOVE strong guys, but tbh those body builder body types are disgusting for me to look at, but even more when its a woman, it makes them look like men!

with that being said, its just what I personally think, people should do whatever they want haha

• Well you're open minded at least :) And you don't dig muscles on either sex, that's cool too. Everyone has their opinions and tastes. Most people encourage you do grow some muscle? That's interesting. Are they guys or girls encouraging you?

• I sent you an email. did you get it?

• I'm not picking on you, I think you are comfortable in your skin, I'm not suggesting you workout or if you don't work out for what ever reasons. If you do workout you have to do it because YOU want to, NOT because you do it for someone else. If you are happy, fine, only you know if you are or NOT. Nobody can take that form you. If you have no desire to build your body any different then DON'T. I'm not a bully, But don't back me up and think I'll just back down and I'm not strong so I can't back down. Actually I"m strong so I can back down. It's much easier to turn your cheek if you the other person knows you don't have too.

• I think one of the best ways to set up a lot of 'backlash' on a MyTake is to not begin with defining your terminology. Ex) strong and goddess.
    These women don't look like goddesses to me. They look unnatural.
    They don't look strong, they look unnatural. A woman can be strong and not have huge bulging muscles.
    If you like women with "broad shoulders" then good for you, I'm giving you no flack at all. And I think it's nice you're trying to give some love to the muscular women out there.

• Well I'm trying to fly the flag a little, yep. I agree with you, goddess is a strong word and I guess I was just trying for impact. I could have posted pics of women with smaller muscles too. It's just to make people think, and I'm glad it has.

• It's your MyTake, and in the end you did make people think. I think it's kinda disrespectful people say these women looks gross. That's a strong word too. :/

• I agree with you sorta vishna, I think MyTake begins with the premise Strong & Goddess and that is NOT what it's all about, it's not even about acceptance. As for natural and unnatural are concerned, I have gym rat friends who pass me up when it comes to muscularity and size, I can pretty much hold my own in the strength department, after saying that, muscular women or for that matter muscular men don't happen generally by nature. I was what you would call "big boned" shy, I feared being to much anything. But rest assured for a woman to enter the arena and compete against a man it can't happen naturally but it can happen. If I got on the blockers and boutique GH formula I could stand with the guys on stage. I can hear the nay-sayers and dreamers PROVE IT? Why? All of bodybuilding is a racket for both men and women. Men have been at it longer, but make no mistake, women can't get in that condition without pushing heavy iron and taking secret formulas and not pay a price.

• I just think anyone with lots of muscles looks horrible. But women more so than men.

• Its not just woman, that amount of muscle is gross on guys too.
    in addition to what everyone is saying about the tans lol

i appreciate you wanna be fit but i prefer the subtle fit over the bodybuilder fit, man or woman.

• More from Girls
    13

What Guys Said 55

• They look like trannies 😝

• The first one looks like a cross between Freak Show from Harold and Kumar go to white castle and the red demon from Insidious.

It all depends on how the chick looks, like if she looks like picture 3 and fuck yea I'd hump her lights out. Regardless, muscular chicks have nice tight pussies that grip dick nicely during sex, so that's always a plus

• I don't want a woman who looks like a man. End of discussion.

• What if she's beautiful too - does she still look like a man? I don't like women who sacrifice their beauty for muscle ie. steroids. but if you are strong without going that far, you can still be beautiful and feminine in my opinion. Just strong as well.

• define masculine now define femininity. what are they can they find definition? it's like porn, you know it when you see it it's ugly to some and revolting to others then there's the 3% crowd that just got ta have it. So is the muscles that determine the gender.
      boys cross dress and say they are normal girls wear muscles that are real not just put on like a garment and they are masculine, unfeminine but can you find the courage and tell them to there face. Hell no, you crazy she may kick your arse for rudeness. Don't accept me for what ever reason but don't dare classify me I will kick your ASS.

• @cindibb The person who posted this question requested opinions and I gave him my opinion. I did not request your opinion and your hostile rant does nothing to persuade me to change my opinion. The fact that you can think of something to say doesn't mean you should say it. Perhaps you should reduce your daily dose of steroids.

• most non-fat dudes want nice fit, toned women. but not huge masculine like that! lol

• EWW turn off sorry

• 21d

I don't like it because a women to me is fine and these looking hard. A sixpack can but it's already to far for me. I like your beautiful belly as bad as people like sixpack. I prefer a normal belly over a sixpack by women.
    No muscles for my girl.

There are two reasons i dont go for women like these. First, Women that do this end up not being able to have children. Not all of them, but ones like the one in the first image, are the majority that this happens to, They look like female roid heads. Second I love a fit girl, i love a curvy girl, I love a chubby girl, I dislike body builder girls, To me its gross, but again this leads back to Personal Preference.

• Women with muscles can be beautiful. Who says they can't be strong and feminine.

• Im sorry, but they are too masculine for me.

• Strong women are fucking gross.
    Especially the one that appears first. I lose an erection everything I see her face. It's so fucking disgusting that it's impossible to put down in words!

• the 3rd lady standing is smewat attractive, I lyk her calves.
    But do this ladies ever get a guy to fuck them? do they have husbands or boy lovers?

I dnt think I will go for a woman like this... I need soft breasts and wobbling asses... PERIOD

• From what I understand these ladies are very popular. Supply and demand reasons really. There are more guys who like this look than there are women who have it. I believe that some will charge by the hour to come and see them, not necessarily for sex, just to feel their muscles and strength.
      Thanks for the opinion.

• I want soft, not hard. Being fit is ok, soft delicate is ok but not strong with muscles.

• Absolutely disgusting!!!

• those girls are on roids not real

• Shape is gross, not the idea of a woman being strong. A woman can be hot and strong enough to kick a guys ass. Example: Gina Carano.
    ilarge.lisimg.com/.../864full-gina-carano.jpg

• Thanks for commenting. I think it's hard for some women to be strong without naturally growing muscles though. eg. if you look at a 'sport' like crossfit, most of the best women have fairly significant muscles. only a few are sleeker and leaner.

• Actually it's pretty easy to get strong without building muscle by using calisthenics. It's what pole dancers do so they can hang from a pole while having a sexy lean body. And also ballerinas, those ballet women are strong and could probably whoop both our asses. I only put strippers first because they're strippers.

• I like your priorities haha But yes, strength doesn't have to mean lifting weights. eg. Some of those yoga chicks can hold positions for ages, positions that I can't imagine holding for more than 10 seconds.

• It is goddess when it is natural, it is gross when it is unnatural.

• It depends on how strongly physical they are. Ultra fit women are easily super hot,(though I'm more for the Disney princess feel. lol), but being mega buff just looks too unfeminine in my opinion.

• I honestly can't think of anything that strikes me any more nastier than that.

• depend like 3rd pic look great but 1st pic sucks.

• I don't like them at all. A girl should look like a girl. I would prefer a soft and firm skin and a curvy body than a stiff body. It's a turn off for me.

• Fair enough! thanks for adding your thoughts.

• I get ya, thanks for clarifying :)

• More from Guys
    35