For men and women: What does beauty mean to you?

Dedicated to men and women:For men and women: what does beauty mean to you?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,
but what if that eye belonged to us? Would we see our own beauty?
Every flaw that covers your body, every scratch and scar and scab and blemish;
would you be able to see the beauty?
Every wrinkle or fat or stretch mark or unwanted hair;
would you be able to see the beauty?
How your fingers are too short, too fat, too long, too thin, how your nails aren't cut exactly symmetrical;
would you be able to see the beauty?
How your hair is a tangled bird nest and your teeth like loose piano keys,
would you be able to see the beauty?
You hated yourself because you didn't look like the beauty;
the beauty in the billboards, magazines, and TV;
the beauty that walked the hallways, the malls, and in the fashion industry;
they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder;
but what if that eye belonged to us?
What if that eye belonged to you?
Would you see your own beauty?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 13

• One day I saw an old wrinkled woman begging a local grocery vendor for money or whatever, I don't know. She looked repulsive, a part of her nose was chipped off and she was hunched, she looked very pained. She was repelling the customers off, the vendor was very rude and nasty to her but she stood there taking in all the insults this guy was throwing at her.
    In the end, I figured this guy realized he was wasting his breath and he gave her two bananas. She humbly accepted like it was a gift or something. She moved of the shop and went to this little boy, split one and gave it to him. It was deeply moving. And it was a beautiful and painful feeling to see that. This woman is far beyond the prime of her life but she did something many beautiful people wouldn't. That's beauty.
    If someone's look can feel like a punch to the gut, their actions and feeling feels like a knife in the heart. Never take face value for anything. Beauty is skin deep. Its not just a fancy proverb.

• That's truly beautiful;
      That you took that to heart;
      That woman sounds like a piece of art.
      Thank-you caring enough to write;
      She sounds like an angel in broad day light!

• @dominiquois well... Its haunting to say the least. Thank you though, for sharing the sentiment.

• In dead a beauty to behold
      Two Bananas she grasped and split
      The lady wrinkled and old
      The little boy now fed and sated
      So bold, so brave
      What she did.. will be remembered to the grave.

• Excellent take/poem - Yes for some reason we are our own harshest critic where we see beauty in other people, we don't see it in ourselves.

• 2 beauty standards

Someone's hot

Or

They have a beautiful soul and will do anything for someone, etc, etc

• The whole is better than the sums of its parts. That would probably be my view on beauty. I might prefer certain characteristics but what ultimately attracts me would be the whole person coming together looking much better than bits and pieces of themselves.

This applies to both looks and personalities.

• I really like the picture of that painting of that woman looking in the mirror. It just shows you how the "ideal" body shape for women has changed. The ideal used to be more body fat.

• My beauty "priorities" go in the following order: 1. Hair 2. Face 3. Personality and the rest is a wash.
    Hair is the hottest and most important thing to me when it comes to beauty, but that's just me and I know that each man has their own likes/dislikes and the things they find important.

• Beauty is when you gravitate towards someone, without realising quite why you do it.

• What I consider as beauty is different and is a little hard to explain.

• Beauty means a fit bird with a pretty face. Anyone who says that beauty is on the inside is either a fucking liar or just not telling the truth.

• No, I'm sorry. That is simply not true. No way in hell. A beautiful man is nothing if he's evil like Hitler. His beauty becomes an abomination.

• LADS LADS LADS

• beauty of heart. beauty of skin is SO superficial. if i show you poisonous, mean, and blatantly psychopathic texts i received by model-like looking women, you'll be appalled by the female gender... .

• Beauty is selflessness

• I consider myself a lover of beauty. Beauty in itself, is it universal? does it change? I'm not sure. I believe that the human body and the human face holds a tinny bit of beauty from God himself, this is the highest form of beauty manifested to a material thing. I also believe that the abstract structure of beauty is a form of truth and mystery.

• in my opinion , beauty of heart is the most necessary thing in a relation.

What Girls Said 13

• Beauty is a statement we make about ourselves that says 'let's flow with grace'

• combination of good features and good body... plus good personality

• I think beauty is confidence in you

• Well to me, beauty is my boyfriend. (Cheesy, I know)

His expression when he's focused, or how thoughtful he can be for me and other people, and simple things like the way he looks at me or how he touches me.

I guess, love is beauty to me.

• beauty is someone who's full of grace and a certain quality to their appearance that can easily be destroyed by stupidity or unkindness. beautiful people are able to pull off even the most mismatched features because it's something they radiate. i know for a fact that my beauty standards don't match at all with most of this site lol different upbringing i guess.

• On the outside beauty is wild, natural and majestic. Like a lion, horse or an eagle.
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...42e60a9fef.jpg
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...4edc6a9519.jpg

On the inside beauty is serene, it's acknowledging that most of us are souls wanting to go home, it's a little sad, a little devastating. It's also kind, inquisitive, and child-like.
    jade7163.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/18375164.jpg

• Beautyfull poem.
    I am not so pretty, but I have lots of (male) friends, and I feel like that is so thanks to my personality. I don't know, I am just honest self, I do as I like (but no bad things).

Some don't like that, or they just don't like the way I look, but this is how I see things: I see the ones who bully me as small, insignificant insects. I laugh at them. When they say something mean, I strike back and turn themselfselfes into the doormat. It may sound ridiculous, but that is how I do it. I dont get bullied often, but when it happens I turn it into a fun occasion.

Yeah, this has something to do with beauty, if you look at reality at least. I said I am not so pretty, but I am sure that if I would take a good look at myself, I would see someone who is happy and someone who is strong, and that, to me, is more important than beauty.

• Beauty is found in the soul of the person

• Beauty is the heart of the soul

• I most definitely would not see my own beauty! I see my own flaws, all of the things I could tweak and change. Beauty is in mainstream society, what is the typical and standard beauty? Beautiful hair, slender, clean skin, etc. But I think being physically beautiful doesn't matter if your an evil person.

• There is beauty everywhere, only obscured by a troubled heart.

• Being yourself unapologetically, and accepting all of your flaws.

• Beauty to me is both internal and external health. It is also symmetry and a twinkle/light in ones eye.

Now concerning outward beauty, I find these people those most beautiful:

thecelebritycafe.com/.../INFphoto_3067257_2.JPG

www.hawtcelebs.com/.../...-2014-in-san-diego_1.jpg

Concerning inward beauty, I find these people to be the most beautiful:

blog.godreports.com/.../...e-Kramarik-768x1024.jpg

ewoindonesia.org/.../teresa.jpg