Beauty Standards in Scandinavia - Tall, slim, elegant

Beauty standards may be different. In some countries.

When I saw this video, first thing I said was "so what about Norway, Sweden or Denmark" as a scandinavian culture lover. So I made a little research about beauty standards in Scandinavia. I know some Swedish and with help of google translate, I read some threads in forums.

here is some:
http://www.familjeliv.se/forum/thread/76402942-skonhetsideal-i-sverige

http://www.familjeliv.se/forum/thread/75028166-ytlig-trad-har-men-hur-ser-er-dromtjejdromkvinna-ut/3

https://www.flashback.org/t2515014

Here is what Scandinavian guys think attractive in woman.

TALLER THE BETTER

Height considered attractive in Sweden because it is sign of healthy childhood, better genes and beauty.

Most teenagers go biking or swimming, take care of their diet and sleeping to grow taller. There is no "short guy discrimination" in Scandinavia because guys also care height of woman as woman do in US. Men dont like such height difference, as you read first link, men prefer their woman maximum 3" shorter.

As you see here, there are some girls whining about height preference of men.

http://www.familjeliv.se/forum/thread/76328226-varfor-svensk-man-tror-korta-petite-kvinnor-ar-osexist

(why guys think petite woman are unattractive)

http://www.familjeliv.se/forum/thread/76384403-varfor-killar-foredrar-langa-kvinnor-over-korta-kvinnor

(why guys prefer tall woman)

Short woman considered unattractive in Sweden, in general.

https://www.flashback.org/t2293705

(aren't short girls really unattractive)

Average height of woman in Sweden is 5"6, guys preferred range is 5"9-6"1. I am 5"10, then I can be calm. :P

SLIM / FIT

Healthy and elegant is sexy.

Swedes in general are rather slim, and want to stay slim, so I suppose that this is a widely accepted norm for good looks - and for health of course. Lots of people go to gyms. Both anorexia and overweight is turnoff. Ideal BMI is 22, so ideal weight depends on height.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 18

• Well, that's great, seeing how the average height in Scandinavian countries for men is 6'1 and for women I think is 5'7. There's still a significant difference. Even there, I think 6' height is a rarity for women.

• In Stockholm, I think the average is between 5'7-5'8. 6'+ is quite rare, but I think 6'3 guy wants a 6'+ woman. Most swedes want to be same height as woman (dont get bothered while girl wear heels and become taller)

• Oh, I see...

• The girl in that photo looks to have a BMI way below 22...

• all men under 6'2 and women under 5'9 should be sterilized

• now that i know that piece of information my life is complete!

• I am a guy only half an inch taller than you, laugh at my subhumanness

• Your height is ideal :D i would not care how tall my partner is. Dont call yourself subhuman ;)

• Yeah American girls are like swedish guys. Dont care them, find someone who is not so superficial :D

• But I am facially aesthetic and above statistic average height, why should I compromise for a girl less cute than me?

• The girl in that last pic probably has a bmi of like 18, just saying.

• maybe.. :D slightly lower bmi is better for scandinavians but more than 17 so all between 17-25 is good.

• Hmm what about for males? I feel like I would be more attractive to scandinavians and other northern europeans than americans, seems like americans like more big strong masculine country kinds of dudes. lol. My BMI is like 19 but I have no fat and I'm 180 cm. And I am not really masculine but also not really dorky/nerdy or feminine either. But I mean does the healthy, slim weight with tall body proportions thing apply to men there too?

• I mean 180 cm is average but I think I have a "tall" looking figure because of being skinny anyway.

• i generally don't care about how tall or short the girl is. It's kind of a arbitrary/silly thing for me to judge attractiveness by. Only reason why people seem to care about it so much is because they are overly-concerned of how they look to other people

• Yeah. :D Scandinavian people are overly-concerned of appearence. Even Scarlett Johansson would fail :D (she is 5'3)

• Swedish male. This generally holds true. So cheers for that.
    I think the ideal height for me on a girl would be about 173 cm.
    I personally am a very average heighth at 182cm.

I think you might have stretched things a little, we're generally not against shorter girls at all. Swedish people on average are very fit though, and quite good looking (which isn't about me blowing my own horn). Take a trip to Stockholm and you will quickly find that to be true ^^.

• When I translate comments in https://www.flashback.org/t2293705 this thread, it seems most guys seem to against short girls. So, of course being tall is advantage but i think there are some who dont care it? :D

• I am trying to wrap my head around how it could not be better, haha.
      It is sexier, usually leads to more flattering proportions and definitely delivers more of a striking beauty than a short girl normally would. It is the difference between being mesmerized by someone or wanting to pat them on the head.

• haaaha luclyly i am not shot :P what is "short" in sweden? :D

• Scandinavia? Meh.

I can't grow my maize there, so I'm not interested. ;-)

• Gods, I fear the day when America changes its standard of beauty to beached whales. Already 35% of adults are obese, and 70% of Americans are overweight. I really wonder what's going to happen when it hits 98%. Suddenly 400 pound hippo models on every corner with advertisements like " 'Curvy' is sexy."

Hmm. Yes. I think Scandinavia might be a good refuge if Trump or Hillary get elected. Except I'm 5'11, so if there are a bunch of tall chicks, that might be not-ideal. Though, I think I'd agree with the 3 inch height difference.

Putting Scandinavia on the list. Denmark. Denmark would be great. I do have Danish blood, after all. Makes sense.

• Hmm. They dont say 3" is good, they say 3" is maximum height difference. :D so ideal is around their height. and of course she can be taller than the man.

• Average is 168 :D

• Not my type at all. I prefer short hourglass figure. Big boobs and big booty for me.

• Scandinavians have different tastes :D

• Video is very interesting - I would have expected more countries to go slimmer but there has been a move towards curvier past few years. The Scandinavian thoughts/ideals are pretty much as I expected them to be

• what about Ireland? :D curvy/slim/tall/short? :D

• I can understand that - It is very perfectionist but on flip side, it is very healthy - I wouldn't be as hardcore on the dimensions but I would applaud the desire for healthiness that prevails in Scandinavia - I don't care if a girl is 110 lbs or a 180 lbs, if she is healthy you can't argue with that.

• Weight, yes it is healthy and right to be perfectionist.
      Height: wtf! but it is advantage for me :D

• That's how we like em in bama, Tall and skinny and big boobs baha

Just difference, we eat burritos bigger than sweede dude. Mad?

• where is bama? :D

• @vnmcissanenow sound like what? Not talking about skull sizes? Lmaoo fgit

• Mines average, compared with a 6'3 over 200 lbs chap at the gym today and my head was the same size as him and my clavicle width was wider but still looked like a midget coz of my subhuman height lol but my frame is generally skinny and weak looking, how do I fill up my frame but not put on fat?

• I am not sure how it is in Sweden but here in Denmark, most men don't care about a girls hight - in fact we (Danish men) prefer to be taller than our girl friend.

As long as she is not taller than me, I am fine. I do find it awkward if the girl is literately taller than me.

• hmm.. so is there any too short for you? I mean, are you ok with a girl 7'-8'' shorter than you? :D

• but you are ok with 160? I think 25cm dfference if too much. :/

• yout girlfriend must be around 180 so all over 175 is good for you :D (untill 185)

• I don't know, personally I would never be comfortable with dating a girl that's taller than me.

It's weird and awkward 😂

However if you mean't women that are 5'7 are tall, then it's chilled 😂

• I am 5'10, I would date with a guy shorter than me, no problem. I dont understand why people think about height.. In US care if girl is taller specturum. In Sweden, it is reversed, i think.

• How tall are you?

• As a swedish guy, I can approve. Good research.
    Personally, I would rather slim than chubby, curves are good but feminists and us have different definition of curvy. Muscles can be turn on, I like trained bodies. :)
    Taller than 175cm. Since I am 183, I dont want her to look like my daughter near me. If she is very special girl, I can be go down till 170 but I think it is extreme case.
    I like brunettes, but blond is good too :) I am not picky about hair or eye color. :)

• Girls are getting taller with each new generation it seems. It's a beautiful thing. Tall girls have a very special look.

• In US, guys thing girls must be significantly shorter than man. I guess Scandinavians dont agree with them :D

• @BeeNee genetically.

• If you have a parent who is 6'2 and another who is 6'1 vs. a set of parents who are 5'0 and 5'2 respectively, the first set are going to have tall kids bearing good health, lack of disease, and good nutrition vs. the 5 footers.

• Well, being taller does equal better genes... I was reading about that sometime ago but can't for the life of me find it again.

And swedish girls are mostly sexy as fuck

• I agree. Swedish girls are best good looking girls. I have been Stockholm for a while and I felt that I am in a Victoria Secret set. Swedish guys are extremely hot too. I think that is why they have such high standards when it comes to beauty. :D

What Girls Said 16

• I really don't give a shit if some nobody doesn't like how I look because I'm 5 foot 1. Because height is such a great indicator for how a human being is.

• yes. If he does not like you because of your height, he does not worth your time. :)

• As someone who actually lives in Finland, reading this was very odd.
    "Most teenagers go biking or swimming, take care of their diet and sleeping to grow taller"
    Ehm. Lol. I don't think Scandinavian teens are much healthier than teens elsewhere. You'll have those who are healthy, and those who aren't. "Most" is an exaggeration. Also I've never met a guy, from Finland/Sweden/Norway/Denmark who'd make a huge deal out of height. Some care more than others of course but I've never noticed a big difference between US standards and Scandinavian standards.

• Of course, they are ones who care less. :) but I read the links and it seems most care. It is weird, in US very few guy have height requirement. :/

• Finland is not a part pf scandinavian.
      Scandinavian countries + Finland = Nordic Countries

• Like I said, a lot of people consider Finland to be a part of Scandinavia inofficially.

• What is the fascination with those guys? Are you trying to get with a swede?

Oh God, im below 5' :(

• all swedish look similar

• I'm not some short chubbier girl hating (Im 5'7 - 5'8 with a bmi of 20, so I guess I 'made' the standard) but short girls can also be sexy and beautiful, I think young Olivia Hussey was the most stunning girl ever, and she was 5'2. Not to mention Emilia Clarke. but that's just my opinion (it was well written)

• I live in Sweden and that's not what our preferences are like at all, at least not from what I've observed in the many years I've lived here... I wouldn't say we're different from any other western country in terms of beauty standards. The one thing that's correct is that we're very health conscious so obviously, that means working out and eating healthy. But what we aim for is a healthy weight and definitely not as skinny as the girl in the picture. As for the height thing, it's so not true for everyone. Maybe for some people who posted in the forums you read but they don't represent the whole population. I'd say they're a minority. Just like any other nation everyone has their own preference. I personally like tall guys but that's true for a lott of girls. As for the guys, they don't seem to care about the girl's height as long as she's attractive. I'm 5'5 and trust me, I've never had problems finding a guy. I usually go for guys who are 6'1 and above too so yeah... Plus, a lot of swedish men like Asian women and they tend to be shorter than the average height of 5'6. So there goes your argument... It's very individual, just like any other country :)

• hmm 5'5 I can say that it sounds average, not short. I make this mytake from post in forums and some guys came and approve it but I dont know. Can I ask you something, what height considered tall or short for female?

• Yeah, I guess my height is pretty average but my point is that most guys don't care either way as long as they're attracted to the girl. I think tall for a girl would be 5'7 and above. That's how tall you have to be to become a model If I remember correctly. 5'9 would be ideal though because that usually gives you better proportions. Haha I'm so jealous of girls with the typical model bodies sometimes, they have such long legs...

• Your height has NOTHING to do with your health. You can't control your height.

Yeah, they seem to really like that type there:
    viewmanagement.com/.../...o_465558380_697x1000.jpg
    :)

• I dont think that height is as important as people make it look. I dont think that a man would EVER turn down a woman because her hight.
    There are so many things that are much more important in a womans physique than her height.
    What really attracts someone is the FACE, BODY PROPORTIONS (and of course, personality).
    So you can be either short or tall, you have the the same chances to date or to be considerated attractive, regardless of country.
    And one more thing, the way you wrote this my take or whatever is this, is very immature and quite harsh. Things like:
    -why guys think petite woman are unattractive
    -Short woman considered unattractive in Sweden, in general.
    -aren't short girls really unattractive
    are just really silly. I understand this is your personal opinion or what you read about it but you have try to research more, those forums aren't really that relevant, get better arguments and try to formulate your opinions in a way that it won't look so discriminating next time ;).
    Disclaimer: I am not petite (im 5ft5) and this is not a response to your question because I feel offended or anything, this are just some thoughts that you all shoud bare in mind when you write or read things like that.

• Hey. Thank you for your opinion.
      I didn't want to be offensive and mean. These were translation. They started a thread as "arent short girls really unattractive." I mean, I dont share same opinion with them. If I were a guy, I would think both Mila Kunis and Megan Fox are attractive. Height is not directly in my list. But every culture have their own beauty standards and we have to respect that. In US, chubby/fat woman considered less attractive, but in Middle East, fat woman considered attractive. Beauty is not directly biological, it is also cultural.

• @lordofnecklace I mean, granted, I am REALLY tall. I am 6'2" (188 cm) barefoot, and I almost always wear heels, so, I'm standing more than 2m off the ground. A lot of boys have been... unable to handle that. A couple of them have even told me right to my face, too. Lol.

I personally don't care about height at all. My husband is a little under 5'11" (about 180cm), I've had boyfriends as short as 5'7" (170 cm), and I've messed around with boys even shorter than that.

• @redeyemindtricks @redeyemindtricks Are you serious? your height is super cool, tall girls are sexiest thing in the World! I am 183, I would like to date with a girl as tall as you if she is ok with dating a shorter guy. Since we are one of tallest countries, tall guys (+185) complains that there is not such tall girl for themselves. I mean, In US, tall guys can find tall girls in taller countries but we dont have such option. +180 girls are like unicorns, we adooore them.

• In Scandinavian countries, most people are tall though

• as 5'10 i am even taler than their average, and it seems they adore tall slender woman :D

• cause they're also tall slender men. makes sense.

• @kahokohino yeah :D

• Wish i stayed there im 5'8 and feel like an unattractive giant.

• In Sweden, you are little short for ideal but still in safe zone :D

• :O O:

• what happened :D

• Dang no love for us short chicks. I guess if I was single and lived in Sweden my short 5'1" toosh would be forever alone. </3

• wrong, in US, petite women have more guys. :)
      and if any guy think you are too short for them, they dont worth your time ;)

• thats a quote from a girl that I know that lives in Sweden so yeah @isabellacarlos
      but I'm a guy but I'm only 5'7I live in the states tho in LA but I'm only 16 so I haven't grown done yet so

• @ZackSmashed yeah thanks for using my quotes lol but yeah it's not that big of deal people are acting as if it is but I live here and promise me I have no problem with dating I'm kinda curvy (not fat) and many guys seems to like me so there shouldn't be any problem at all with dating + every guy has their own preference so I don't think that people can generalize and say that they prefer that. I think it's maybe cause there are many women that are tall but their also short people

• I'm 5'5, I must be really short for them so, too bad I like Scandinavian guys :(

• Ahhh.. their lose. dont worry. ;)

• I think that is what swedes says :)

• haha yea ;)

• Summary: you should be model to date with us. hmm

• Haha. No models are too thin. Tall and healthy is good :D

• It is good because it is healthy. :D

• logical. :D
      I always envy athletic bodies.

• Sorry Swedes, your standards are too high for me :P