Beauty Lies in the Eye of the Beholder

Beauty; what is beauty?

Is it something that everyone is running after? Or simply something that makes you wanna keep on staring at? Or something that gets one's attention?

Hmmmmm it's hard to tell...

The quote which is the title above is popular and really makes sense.

But why is it so?

Well...

The definition of beauty itself is subjective; it's like each person has his or her own definition of what beauty is or not. It's not like someone HAS TO look a particular way in order to get attention from others. Guess what? No!

Let me put it clear; I'm not talking about fake beauty or makeup or whatever here.

Everyone is different; people were brought up differently and what represents real beauty in a society might be considered as average or even unattractive in another society because people from different part of the world have different facial/physical features; thus different taste when it comes to what is attractive or not.

I'd like to give some examples to support what i meant above:

Let's say in a country being tall is considered as attractive...it can be the opposite in another country.

Or:

If in a country being curvy or thick for a woman is considered attractive for others it might be considered as unattractive for others.

Or:

For a country having a particular dressing code is considered as appropriate, it might be seen as inappropriate for another country.

The sad truth is that no matter how attractive a person is; that person will not be seen as a perfect 10 by everyone and the quote below explains it.

#WeAreAllDifferent

GAGers, what do you consider as beautiful?

1027
zombiebabe is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• Complicated, controversial subject. Beauty: not cute, attractive, good looking, hot, sexy, whatever.

BEAUTIFUL.

Technically beautiful people are freaks, as they comprise a minute % of the population. Thank goodness for Photoshop.

It universally agreed that technically beautiful people have perfect/near perfect facial symmetry, (also freaky rare).

The Ancient Greeks, among them Pythagoras, studied Beauty (pre- Plato) and determined it was a mathematical ratio they called "phi". Phi is referred to as the Golden Ratio (have heard Triangle as well). Please read it:
    http://www.cojoweb.com/phi.html

This "golden number, Phi is taken very seriously by the beauty and advertising Industries: Check it out:

http://www.goldennumber.net/beauty/

You could spend the rest of your life just to find out you aren't beautiful.
    Not to worry though, Mary is, and we'll always have her. .
    It's Mary, Mary from NJ:

• very mathematical and scientific approach!

• Interesting, right? Mary is what beautiful really is

Most Helpful Girl

• Great Take! 😊
    I consider acceptance as beautiful. I live by this quote: "The world does not care. Why should you?" However, that does not automatically connotate complete negligence to one's effort for looking good, though. I believe acceptance is never negative.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 26

• I dont consider myself attractive. I am not into the new modern men movement. I do not lower my standards on what I want. Men are not supposed to be pretty. Good morals and respect are a must with anyone. I have dated attractive women. So looks will only take you so far. If a person has a ugly heart the old saying is they are just ugly. I have found out that their is no difference in how someone will treat you based on their looks or body and health. A jerk is a jerkface. Everyone wants you to settle for what they can not achieve themselves. What is beauty? A measure of unrealistic societal conditions that no one will ever be able to keep or meet? I live up to my own expectations and my own standards. I stopped trying to impress someone long before my 20's. I know what I need and I know how to say no. I live for my own expectations because going after this world and living up to others left me used, depleted and grumpy. My goal is my happiness. Not making this world or unrealistic expectations my priotity.

• Excellent take - Very true quotes about beauty being in the eye of the beholder and peaches - Beauty to me is that feeling you can't explain when you think someone is beautiful which sometimes means people looking at you oddly when you say you think she is beautiful.

• No, it's not the eye of the beholder. It just so happens that the VERY rare person will like something different.

If you go to BBW singles groups you'll discover that it is 99% women as opposed to any other dating group online that is dominated by men. Basically anything that is unattractive is where the men are missing.
    The people who boost that eye is in the beyolder are only talking amongst each other.
    In reality a straight nose is better than a crooked one. A nice skin tone is better than a discolored one, etc, etc.

Every now and then something horribly ugly becomes a trend and people seem to be doing it like crazy. It's still ugly though. They are just sheeping it out.

• Beautiful is what's on the inside. I've quoted it before and I'll quote it again "4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. That is true beauty

• great
      *takes note*

• Yeah, that is a favorite quote and it's good to have in your knowledge bank. I think it would work great in relationships too

• I think there is Physical beauty and then there is having a beautiful heart/soul and beautiful personality.

No one is ugly as there is someone that finds them beautiful.. their perfect 10.

• I agree with the first one, but the second one is bullshit.

• kinda makes sense

• www.court-records.net/.../bratworth-shrug(d).gif

Beauty may lie "in the eye of the beholder" but many people find the same things beautiful. That being said, that explains why most people care more for others think on the collective rather than one opinion.

• Yes, that's right. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. True.

• Yes but there's one type of beauty that it's equal all around the world for healhty and balanced people.

The gesture of caring about the person, the gesture of helping, of teaching, of giving attention and personal time, of sharing personal experiences. That beauty is what links people fundamentally.

• That can't possibly be true because of how many people find the same type of person attractive. Of course there's always a minority, but in psychology we call that an extraneous variable. And we ignore those variables because of how uncommon they are.

• So basically all the "Rate me" questions on here are pointless

• Completely true, great Take :D

• I remember watching a quite lewd and equally stupid movie called Miss March. In it however I got a quote from Hughe Hefner, the original playboy himself, that really stuck with me in regards to beauty.

"Show me the most beautiful woman on earth, and I'll show you the man who's tired of fuckin her"

Wisdom can come from anywhere, especially where you least expect it.

• Totally wrong, the only thing that can describe "beauty" , "manners and morals".
    For both the male and female. The looks can be a deception.

• beauty is what makes feel like im looking at something that in my world is not supposed to be before my eyes. something precious.

• Yes.
    True that.

• Oh stop with nonsense term that only exists because certain people want it to exist. I come from a long road, filled hurt, pain, and borderline mean women. I've only got to maybe date two girls, just two. I don't want to hear this so called "beauty is the eye of the beholder", because it's just a concept for people to blindly believe in.

• In some people, you can see their beauty through their eyes, and not much else matters. (gotta tell, you it's weird when they're not hot)

But I like to think of beauty as something that I like, yet I can't quite put my finger on. A je ne sais quoi

• If you are referring to my penis, then yes. Beauty does lie in the eye of the beholder

• You are right though dear.

• great take, well done. it is definitely true here in South Africa.

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 9