I don't have a thigh gap... Is that a turn off?

So I don't have a thigh gap, and while I have muscle from sports it's not that noticeable. I'm more of a slender build and while I have lots of curves a guy told me my image was ruined because my thighs didn't touch. I disregarded it because frankly who cares about one guys opinion. But then today this guy told me basically the same exact thing. Should I gain weight to have a thigh gap?

Most Helpful Girl

• you know, for the most part, whether or not you have a thigh gap is genetic; it depends on the width of your hips or something like that. some people are just destined to never have thigh gaps, and i don't think anyone should feel ashamed one way or the other. and for some people, achieving a thigh gap means letting the muscles in their inner thighs waste away until the body basically eats away the muscle tissue, which is pretty scary. basically, what i'm saying is that the whole 'thigh gap' trend is stupid, and really messes with young girls' self-image and self-worth over something that is at least partially based on genetics. so regardless of what some guys think, do what's best for yourself; be healthy.
    and honestly, if not having a thigh gap is a deal breaker with these guys, they're probably not the kind of guys you wanna be with or even listen to.

• Women have a layer of fat over muscle. You wouldn't eat at your muscle before losing fat. People have thigh gaps when they have little dnt as thighs naturally have a substantial amount of fat on them. It's where energy for the baby is stored in case if famine.

Achieving a thigh gap doesn't mean wasting away it just means being very lean.

Some oeople are more likely to have one but there's not much chance a very lean but nit starving oerson is not going to have one.

I'm not saying anyone should care one way or the other about having one. Just saying that's not at all teue that if you don't naturally have one you have to waste away to get one.

A healthy thin person like 5 5 at 110 losing about ten pounds would have one most likely , bc thighs store fat and that's prefered form of energy when you're running a deficit.

Body doesn't eat away at muscle until all fat is gone. Provided you're getting adequate protein in a daily basis.

• yeah, but being 100 pounds at 5'5" is technically underweight (based off BMI, which i know isn't totally accurate, but still…) even 110 is right on the fence of healthy and underweight.
      and yeah, i guess the article/whatever i read (which was admittedly LONG ago) was misinformed, but regardless, starving and overexercising to achieve this "thigh gap" is dangerous, and a troubling phenomenon that young girls are becoming obsessed with when it's really so irrelevant.

What Guys Said 9

• I am sure you are beautiful just as you are. Some guys like one thing, some guys like another. be happy with how you are.

• No it's not. There's lots of existing questions.

http://www.girlsaskguys.com/search?q=thigh+gap

• thigh gap is still a thing? seems like the younger crowd is the only crowd concerned with it.

• Are there men who actually care about thigh gaps? Maybe this craze was after my time because I don't give a damn about gaps between a woman's legs.

• I've never dated a girl with a thigh gap. I didn't know that existed.

I would make a sexy comment about gaps and all that, but I won't for under 18.

Just be happy you're yourself! Love yourself!

• Thank you for with holding the 'sexy comment' that would've been awkward😳

• Guys dont give a shit about thigh gaps... that's a girl thing. :-P

• Yeah a lot do. Bc they see it in magazines that are not made for women they are mad fior men. But who cares... There are a lot of things a lot of people want that not everyone has... This thigh concern is so completely random.

• I never said I think anyone. should stress Over it. I'm pointing out its nit something women came up with that men are standing over there looking in with complete confusion.

Men set the standards of fashion for women long ago when it was decided they should be small delicate light and helpless and so the guy could feel strong just by default. Twiggy came out in the 60s as the ideal delicate wafe. She was 5 6 98 pounds... she had s thigh gap. Thigh gap is nothing new and men wanting women to be unnecessarily thin is nothing new.

Just saying its not a girl thing. It's the opposite.

Again I am nowhere saying this should be gratified in any way. Just making a distinction between generating snd reacting.

• I don't see many of today's men demanding women to be super thin and with thigh gaps... things have changed in that half-century; (straight) men aren't enforcing that anymore.

• Do you honestly want to know how many times I've cared if a girl has a thigh gap or not? None.

Do you honestly want to know how many times most other men have cares if a girl has a thigh gap or not? None.

• Most guys don't even know what thigh gaps are.

• Omg this is a new one "thighs. gaps"? I would worry about the gaps in your brain instead.

What Girls Said 5

• Some people have it. Some don't. Some guys will like it. Others won't. Just be happy with yourself little lady.
    http://i62.tinypic.com/n5sj1y.jpg[/IMG]

• Thigh gaps are going to be the death of some of you. No one cares about a damn thigh gap.

• There are a lot of things guys see in magazines that you probably don't have ... So why care about this?

If you're slender as you say then there's no reason to lose weight. He's git nothing to do with your life so just leave it.

• Please stop the thigh gap craze ;~;

• nahhh, fuck thigh gaps.