Can girls wear ties?

I am a girl, and I find ties cool, a nice way to compliment an outfit. I would like to wear one to school, but no one has ever worn one to school before, and I'm afraid peolpe might think I'm a lesbian (which I'm not) or a transgender or something, as that is a common stereotype I hear about females who wear ties. All I have are my father's ties, so getting a "woman tie" is out of the question. Also, my school requires us to wear polo shirts and black or tan khakis as a uniform, so I think I could pull it off with the outfit. I'm just scared people will judge me for it. Is there any way I can style the tie to make it look more feminine? Or what is your veiw on this, do you think girls should or shouldn't wear ties?

By the way, I am NOT trying to be like Avril Lavigne in any way by wearing a tie, nor will I wear it in the sloppy fashion she did. I just like them and want to wear them, that's all.

Most Helpful Guy

• They might think you are weird, but "weird" isn't always a bad thing.

What Guys Said 7

• I think that if a girl wants to wear a tie then she should wear a tie. If you are able to wear a tie in such a manner that 'you' think looks good, then by all means, go for it.

I will say this though, (unfortunately) any time that we diverge from what others commonly accept as "normal" there is a chance that attention and/or judgement may be placed on us.

• If you want to wear a tie wear a damn tie. You be who you want to be. No need for approval on how to dress as long as you are happy. Just be you and stand out from the rest.

• I disagree, I think ties look silly, they're an outdated phallic symbol.
    I only wear them for work, otherwise I never would.

• It's a fashionable in Japan...

i00.i.aliimg.com/.../Female-small-tie-punk.jpg

• I don't find them flattering on women...

• I think it's very cute I will say that with a polo make sure it is pulled snuggly against your top collar button which must be done up to pull off the look also tuck in your shirt to a skirt to make it look feminine if you must wear pants untuck it also a bow tie would look good with that if not def do a solid color tie

What Girls Said 4

• i reckon i'd do it if i thought of a great outfit idea. i mean sure it's not the norm, but who cares? if u like it, do it! u may even inspire someone else to give it a go:)

• I had to wear one in the grade school uniform. Unflattering bottle green. Ugh. Well,. tie it loosely and find a matching colour. You could tie it in a ribbon or go shopping for a lady tie :) But menswear has the best material, so if you can wear it in a feminine way go for menswear.

• lol like Avril Lavigne!

• I wear ties, sometimes.