What is up with everyone's low self esteem?

Why do you feel the need to get confirmation from strangers online? Why do you need people to tell you you're pretty to be happy about yourself?
I think this whole section of questions is sad.

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel like this has always happened, but now we have a new method to "exploit" our self esteem issues. Now we got the Instagrams, the Facebooks, the Twitters, etc. And there are even "rate me" apps now to further receive external validation that people lack internally.
    I think maybe it can help, but not really. Cuz the stranger's validation only lasts temporarily. Or until you post the next question/pic and when that one fucker says "I think you're ugly 3/10." No matter how many people compliment you, you're just gonna focus on that one fucker who insulted you (or you felt insulted you). Moral of the story, don't let others determine your self worth. I guess the only "good" thing about that, is that those people constantly asking for rates will soon realize that it's literally impossible to please everyone. So fuck that. Just be happy with yourself.

As cliche and corny as this sounds, it has to be derived from within. You CANNOT please everyone. You just can't. So as hard as this is to actually do, just fuck everyone else and remember that your own opinion trumps theirs. We all have our own insecurities, no one is perfect, but we can still try our best to remain confident.

What Guys Said 11

• umm the problem with my self esteem is this "its little to non existent." and i've yet to use the "how do i look" because im not going to give y'all the right to bash me >> since people have been doing it my whole life

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1229586-how-do-you-respond-to-being-called-ugly

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1208847-how-can-i-improve-my-looks-im-ugly-itseems

• So, you're saying that people asking the questions are people who knows they look good but are still so insecure that they need to hear it from others?

• thanks and im feeling better already "to infinity and beyond moment" (#^ ^#) #random

• Well, that's good :) try to keep it that way

• Some people just need to know what others think. It's just what they need to know. They change or adjust themselves based on what others think about them.

• That's no way to live though. You're not going to please everybody.

• I agree. Some people don't realize that. They might assume that the more people they can please the higher their chances of being liked.

• It is people who have issues with social behavior and assume that it is their appearance that causes all the problems

• Hm...

• It is actually an oversimplification. It is a slight bit more complicated, but not by much.

• Rate me, am I doable?

• I don't think it is wrong at all to do that. I know you are all gang banging together owards such self conscious people but i think... this platform was built to lay out or ask all those type of questions which would be not possible in "off screen" life.

• Many people want confirmation from others in order to feel good about themselves. Another reason is the new category ''How do I look'' which brings new people like those every day.

• I think it's really sad that people have such a low self esteem.

• no homo, you're a handsome dude. i bet people dont say it to you much... it seems thats the way it is. if you are and its obvious, girls dont want to tell you most of the time so your head doesn't grow so big but if you're on the lower side of the scale theyd lift you up. just my observation.

• Can someone rate me from 1-burgers with cheese x3

• right?

i got called unattractive and hot, good looking, average and i dont give a shit! i m self validated!!! haha

• Yes... it is! All this being done due to some ugly comments about our face!

• If you know your self value, you wouldn't need the confirmation from others to be happy.

• I dated this one crazy girl who was so insecure and desperate for attention that she sent nudes to me, before we met in person, to keep my attention and would post nudes on reddit after guys dumped her.

If that's not desperate for attention and compliments then I don't know what is. The funny thing is she thinks doing this will get guys to like her and respect her but it does quite the opposite.

• Really? Would you date an ugly ass motherfucker? Not trying to be rude but would you date someone who looks like a monkey?

• I really don't care about how someone looks as long as he or she is clean.
      Personality is all that matters for me!

• That's what you say now, but I really do doubt that. It would not even be a problem either. Looks are an indicator of genetic compatibility, or so I would like to think

• Well, I have done it before, so I know it' true.

What Girls Said 12

• I agree with you. Self esteem is internal. No matter people say, if you don't feel inside, it will never work.
    Still, I look at these questions positively. If those help them, a little even , I give them a shot.

• The thing is, I don't think they help. If you aren't happy with yourself not even a hundred compliments will make any big difference. It is like taking a pain killer for cancer - it's a short term solution.

• That is so right.

• i agree

• These questions annoy the hell outta me. It's just a turn off when someone is insecure like this. Fishing for compliments of just insecure asfuck

• I agree that it's sad.

• Everyone has insecurities. When my ex said I had tiny boobs and he disliked my legs I did consider asking people on GaG. I was in a bad place, but I got over it.
    I don't exactly see any problem with this section, if it works for them, great. I know it wouldn't do much for me because I can't change my body shape but for other cases it might actually be useful.

• Think it is a reassure thing. Self esteem is not about being attract or successful it is about feeling good about yourself.

• It may be sad but it happens.

• Stereotypes have caused girls to think less of themselves. Thus has happened through the media. We have looked at all the beautiful girls on tv and magazines, and we can't help but compare ourselves to them. You are one of the lucky girls who don't need this kind of assurance. Others have seen how guys react to the barbie types and have decided that they're not pretty as they are not the same as those girls.

• They need assurance some are fishing for compliments

• People need to think they are pretty.

• They could do that without hearing it from others if they started loving and accepting themselves.

• same it is pointless in life there will people who find you ugly or pretty who cares

• It doesn't bother me. I mean who cares? If they want to ask, let them. Its not harming anyone. If you don't like the section don't look at it/follow it. Sure, its pointless because they should love themselves. But if that's what they want, then whatever. I have better things to do than worry about the "How do I look" section of a website.

• people online are usually more honest.

• Yeah it is sad , but people need some sence of approval that they dont get in everyday life.

• If they started loving and accepting themselves, they wouldn't need it.