The camera makes me look feel fat and ugly. Am I?

Depending on the lighting I can either look okay or disgusting.
What's the reason behind this?

Link to show how lighting affects me: http://imgur.com/a/yCVUN

Most Helpful Girl

• I have two ways of answering this question, and I will do both. As a lesbian, and as a photographer.
    1) Lesbian: Nah girl you're beautiful in both pics tbh
    2) Photographer: Light will cast shadows on your face no matter where it is coming from, the trick to a good picture is several light sources that can light up the shadows the other ones are causing, but not to have so much light it washes out your face. This is hard balance to find and can be wildly different depending on skin tone. Also, too much light especially from one direction can glare off your skin, depending on how recently you washed your face is how bad the glare gets. (The light will tend to reflect off your skin oils)
    Glare off your skin is what I saw the most problems with in the second photo, the first photo looked good. The sun was in a nice spot and the shadows and glare weren't too bad. But you can't always choose where you light sources are, especially for spur of the moment pictures. You can do things that will make your pictures better, and your skin.
    Evaluate your plans and say, am I going to take a picture today? Is it possible I might take a picture today? If so, wash your face well and use foundation powder. That will cut the glare more than you know.
    Unless you are trying to take a picture in front of something, see where you can stand that will make the light source better. Move to the left and the right and see where you can position the sun/lights so shadows aren't as bad.
    And most importantly, don't think every picture had to be perfect. It's okay to have bad pictures. They document your life better than good ones honestly.

• The more I look at that second picture the more I realize... thats not glare thats being washed out. Make sure you don't have too much light in your pictures, that will wash you out.

What Guys Said 13

• you're probably just not photogenic. no big deal.

• You look just fine. Nothing bad so no worries.

• relax you're neither fat nor ugly... you look nice :-)

• It's not a big deal to me. You look basically the exact same to me. The light is just brighter. Not more or less attractive though.

• You're neither fat nor ugly. Everybody can take a bad picture of himself once in a while. Relax. You're beautiful.

• You look good why worry about your looks awww

• Nothing wrong with your body!

• Dang you are attractive and do not look fat or ugly. Lighting is a funny thing that a lot of photographers have mastered to make a person look a certain way. Reason why lighting changes your appearance is because of the shadows it casts on your body.

• you look good

• the camera and you are lying. You look cute and should accept that :)

• I dont see anthing wrong chin up girl dont question yourself like that ur pretty

• u have a great body. dont think urself fat and ugly

• there's no way in hell you're fat! You have great body, maybe you're just photogenic. Its no big deal ur beautiful :-)

What Girls Said 6

• you look fine

• Lighting and angles can make anyone look different.. Everyone says I look a lot different than I do in pictures. I think it all depends on you

• Its the camera lens...

• You've asked this question so many times :-/ please feel better about yourself, you are a beautiful girl. Stop worrying.

• You don't look fat nor ugly.

• You don't know how to take a picture, so they are going to look bad. It can be learned though, so don'y worry.