All these girls feeling insecure, do you think beauty standards of the media/ has anything to do with it? Why is it only women who trip?

We see crazy gorgeous instagram celebs to magazines making girls feeling inadequate?

0|0
6|4

Most Helpful Girl

• Frankly? It is The media, combined with the medical advice, and a lack of education for parents.
    i'll break it down

The media: Between supermodels, insta-celebrities. and magazines doing obligatory body peace stories, we teach our girls that you are supposed to be thin, or you aren't good enough, and if you "can't loose weight" then you are only good for those men who like fat chicks. "Curvy" is just saying that you don't respect yourself enough to loose weight.

Medical advice: the BMI chart, one of the only things doctors look at to see if you are at the proper weight, doesn't take into account the amount of your body that is fat. for example i am 5 ft 1, and weigh 130 lbs, this qualifies as a normal weight, if it is semi close to overweight. According to my doctor, i need to gain 5 lbs to be at an average for my diet, activity level, and body type. this is not fat lbs, this is muscle pounds.
    when i was younger, i was much more active, and i qualified as underweight according to the BMI chart, but according to my doctor, i was at a healthy weight. Therefore, when laypeople only go by BMI, people who are obese may actually be at a healthy weight for them, and not know it, leading to malnutrition and being obsessed with loosing weight.

Lack of parental education:
    Parents are encouraged to support their kids self esteem. The only problem is, we aren't giving them effective tools to do this. Parents will even go so far as to call their kids fat to encourage them to be more active to loose weight. this fails as children are unlikely to have the mindset in which being told they are not good enough only motivates them to being better, therefore, they internalize the feeling of never being good enough, and that is hard to shake.

Note: this is what i have learned through personal observation and research, and i am not a psychologist, sociologist, though i have been a product of these factors, and suffer from insecurities that are sometimes debilitating.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• Yes, the media and beauty standards these days has a lot to do with it.

0|0
    0|0
  • *rolls my eyes at this cheesy question*

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm seeing a lot more young guys fretting about their abs and such.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, i think media has to do with it. As girls a lot of times we're programmed to look a certain way. You don't see full figured pop stars-or movie stars or bikini models... you hardly ever see full figured girls on the covers of magazines or on tv. Skinny girls are praised in fashion. The fat girl is just the funny one... i mean if as a guy you were raised with the image of looking like a buff supermodel being pounded into your head daily and you start to compare. You find many flaws. And then when girls confirm those flaws by saying they only like buff guys, it eats your self esteem. I was formally chubby-now fit, but i won't forget the feeling of not being good enough

0|0
    0|0
  • These days, it's getting to men to. Cosmetic surgery rates are going up in men.

Tbh, it's down to the individual. I've never fed into all that crap and never once compared myself to somebody famous or something. I am who I am. Some people try too hard and are insecure so compare themselves and feel like shit.

0|0
    0|0
    • I think corporations want us to be consumed with meaningless things so we continue living a consumer driven lifestyle which leads to more debt and stress. This would eventually lead to emptiness and people become mentally ill and buy pharmaceutical medicine for stability which they will be hooked on life and the corotations continue to make money, destroy other nations for resources but we're to busy thinking how ugly we are in the mirror.

What Guys Said 4

• Of course. When you the have media constantly reinforcing their idea of what is ''beautiful'' or what is ''sexy'' then your bound to get people who will be insecure about there own self, because they don't fit the medias/societies view of whats beautiful. Now the media isn't the only culprit for some peoples low self esteem, but its definitely one of the main ones.

Also its not just girls who are insecure, guys are the same way. How many times have you seen guys complain about their height, penis size, virginity/lack of sexual experience or etc on this site. Do you really think men would care about those things so much is it weren't for the media.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes it's all media's fault obviously.

they should realise all these girls are fake to the core

0|0
    0|0
  • The media has nothing to do with beauty stands its all about loving YOURSELF no one is going to hold your hand and tell you everything is going to be OK. Feminist always talk about how the media make girls feel insecure about not being able to live up to the beauty standard, when was the last time you heard a guy complain about not looking Channing Tatum. YOU'RE in control of YOU no one else if you're not happy about yourself YOU have the power to change it. Feminist aren't anything but sexist in disguise.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not just media. From a very young age it's all about how cute or beautiful a girl is, for guys it's about what they do or want to do.

1|0
    0|0
    • I'd disagree because media on a subconscious level re-iterates what is good looking or attractive for both sex. You might not even realize how much your taste is influenced by the images thrown at you. Being that you are in mid to late 20s, you were subjected to the fashion of 1990s etc where beauty was still real. Kids growing up in 2000s to now will have a extremely distorted idea of what they are attracted to besides that they are also growing up in an deviant sexualized environment, where the less you conform to the norm the cooler you are. They are pretty much fked on every level.