Getting sick of the question: Why are you single?

Seriously, why do people make it sound like it's sad to be?

I'm fine being alone, but just because my younger sister is in a committed relationship people are thinking that I ought to be married in like the next week? Not saying I don't want a boyfriend, I just can't seem to find someone worthy as one.

Can't believe I have to dine with my sister's boyfriend's parents next week and now it's stressing the hell of me. :(

Hey, just wanted to say everyone who offered their own words here! Just had enough sobbing, and ready to keep living life. Hope all goes well wherever you people are :)

Most Helpful Guy

• People are probably surprised that you're single.
    I get asked that often as well. They assume cause I'm young, good looking, and I'm financially stable that I have a line of ladies waiting for me.

• You'd probably have a line of people interested, but just because you do doesn't equal you can't be single. In my experience I do have a fair number of "qualified" (so to speak, typically working professionals) male waiting for me, but I just don't have that sort of spark with most of them..

What Guys Said 20

• forgot about them. its yo life.

• Hmm.. you asked it in 'How Do I Look?' category.
    You're good looking.

===============

I can relate it, people ask me such things too.
    I reply to them that "I still didn't find that 'one' yet"

But the sad truth is: I'm ugly.

• I think romance has very little to do with looks though? I've had better chances at love when I was younger and didn't look as good as now. I only started looking good since I broke up with my last ex.

• Exactly! You're so me.
      The only different thing is that I didn't break up with my ex

• I'm single because there are no suitable "candidates" for girlfriend so far. I won't start a relationship with a girl if I don't like her as more than a friend, so for now I don't have a girlfriend. In your case, people have nothing to do with your decision and they should understand it.

• The problem with everyone, they want you to be like them. If your not an individual, and do what you want to do? your seen as odd. Ignore them. What they think of you, is their problem.

• Thanks, I understand your point. Just getting sick of the same question over and over again.

• Nothing wrong with standards.

• But it's wrong to disregard my feelings. Guess not even my friends and family care anyway.

• Fuck other people's opinion. Your life, your rules. As long as you aren't hurting anyone else then you're good to go. Carve your own path in life.

• Wish I could distance myself from this bunch of insensitive idiots.

• i'd find it annoying if they asked me as well... it's my own damn business.

ilike my freedom... why someone should be surprised?

• I get this shit a lot, too. Once you do find someone the same assholes will change the questions to:
    "When are you going to move in together?"
    "When are you going to get married?"
    "When are you going to have children?"

When are YOU, nosey person, going to just fuck off?

• Don't let other people shape your life or make you feel bad about your decisions, its your life live it the way you want, you are the only one who is going to deal with the consequences, if being single is something you like or you don't have a problem with, then don't get in a relationship just so that people would back off, i admire you for staying out of the game until you find someone worthy of your love and trust.,

here is quote to lift your spirit up. "To find a prince you're supposed to kiss a frog, not f**k the whole pond!".

• Well, I think I've had my fair share of "playing the game" just to learn the rules of attraction, and now I'd only do the game with people I am interested in having a future with.

LOL to screwing the whole pond though, I'm not a pig! :p

• The reason people say it, especially guys, is because there is probably a lot of guys here who have never had a girlfriend and feels lonely.
    Also, you can't say you like it better single if you've always been it.

• Well I've walked out of a three-year relationship, then about ten failed attempts in getting the guys I liked, rejecting a ton of guys in between, and also two almost-relationships by today.

I'm OK being alone, I don't HAVE TO have a boyfriend. Some days I like my singlehood, some days I miss the one I can't be with. But I'd totally appreciate if people stop thinking I should pair up NOW.

• Sorry for not sending an answer sooner.

First of all, everyone changes their behavior when they get emotional, it's just what we do and stubborn is not something I would take as a bad trait when emotional, it's something quite common in my opinion.
      and then, the "nogirlfriend/boyfriend" thing, I wouldn't say that such a thing happens often, I mean, like almost never. If there is a girl who talks with a boy for an extensive amount of time or times it is usually because she is trying to get together with him. Same thing for a boy when he gets close to a girl. That is actually really annoying because it is almost impossible to get a friend of the opposite gender because they will always think you're trying to get into their pants.

• Also, if you read this, If you ever feel like it again I think it would be fun to talk some more.

• Your life, live it.
    Don't listen to what people have to say, at the end of the day the only person who needs to be satisfied with your life, is you.

• All I ask for from these people is just a little respect towards how I handle my own life.

• everytime someone ask me this i just say casually: "because i am apparently a fucking ugly psychopath"

• Haha nonsense.

• yeah i totally understand... like "are you too stupid to find a partner or what" ... "its not that hard" xD i hate that too.

• *breathes*

• My younger sister is getting engaged. Meanwhile I've yet to even have my first kiss. Believe me, I'm getting an earful about how I owe my mother "granbabies." There's no escaping it.

• Just tell them to pipe the fuck down.

• SO LOVE TO DO THAT.

• Well, I do travel a lot on my own? I just enjoy the solidarity of being in a new, foreign place, listening to my own soul and meeting new friends all over the world? But of course, no one is gonna admit they're jealous.

• Very true. When they point there finger at you there's always three pointing back at them.

• Tell them next time if they're high

• "Why aren't you mating?" just sounds rude though.

• Seriously though, all jokes aside, why are you single?

• My favourite person in the world lives 15,000 miles away and we're never gonna have a future together.

• Then, replace him. All i'm trying to say is that love is not as big of a deal as current culture makes it seem like.

• I personally don't mind not having a boyfriend. I just hate it when people compare me to my younger sister.

• Nothing wrong with being single, no rush getting into a relationship.

• "I just can't seem to find someone *wealthy* as one."

• my mom always criticises me for being single

• Just tell them you haven't found the right guy yet and you're not rushing into anything. I'm fine being alone too at the moment and I'm not starting anything until I'm ready. There's no law. So tell em to shut up :D

• Wish I could. In Asian family, they say I'm rude. :( I hate being Asian when it comes to this.

• aw don't feel bad. It's your life not theirs. Don't let them dictate to you

• This is just stressing me out. A lot.

What Girls Said 7

• Ask them: why do you think it's any of your business?

• "Hey we just care about you don't be rude!"

• Not really. That's why I don't go home and I don't wanna see them as often.

• That's a shame :/ well, it's worth a shot.

• People ask me the same thing and it does get annoying after a while. I'm single by choice, but I'm happy.
    Just tell them you're single because you can't find anyone suitable right now.

• Tell them you're singke because you want to be

• it's your life and u should live it the way u wanna live it and don't worry about what people think of u for being single and questioning why your single

• I just really hate getting the same question over and over again, it almost feels like an insult.

• Honestly, it's fine if they say nothing. But like my sister, whenever I spoke of not getting married anytime before 30, she'll say something like "you're getting old and it's dangerous to give birth at that sort of age" blablabla

• oh don't listin to her

• Don't pay much attention to what other people say. You're not dating anyone — they'll call you odd, you're dating someone — they'll call you a whore. People'll always judge you, you'll never be perfect for everyone. So just live your life.

• It's your life. It's none of THEIR business

• make sure to take your medication

• I suppose I should need one soon! :( Not cool getting people asking the same question all the time..

• ikr. especially you're a girl, that sounds like why hasn't you smitten anyone yet?

• Sigh, it's not my fault? I mean, I do have people who are smitten by me but I'm just plainly not interested romantically, and I've had failed attempts in getting the guys I want to get (some are plainly not interested, some are just interested in sex), but that's OK, they're learning processes in life. Also I've had two almost-relationships after I walked out of my three-year ex, but it's just unfortunate that things screw up in between. :(