How much do I need to work on my butt?

I'm starting to work out and would really like to improve my butt... But I'm not sure how bad it is to begin with? I've not really taken much notice of it in the last 18 years, but am looking to improve myself, so a couple of questions.
1. How much improvement do I need?
2. What are the best ways to improve it?

Thanks in advance!

http://i61.tinypic.com/2z5kk8x.jpg

Okay so squats and lunges has been the general concensus so far :) No need for further opinions people! Haha

Most Helpful Guy

• do squats.

wide stance and do behind your neck. front squats and close stance works your quads more.

twice a week

come back and see me in 2 months.

ex trainer.

• Great thanks :) I'm just a bit confused at the behind your neck bit, would you be able to clarify for me?
      And how many of each should I be doing?

• Yes sir! *salutes*

• mah chigga

What Guys Said 31

• I think your butt looks very good, it definitely has some shape. If you wanna keep shaping it, do some squats, also jogging/running/going up and down the stairs, lunges are good exercises too.
    But really, don't think you need much more work, right now is great.

• Ok cool thanks, I''ll try those :)

And thanks, I just feel like I want to improve it a bit more, I like how it looks when I wear heels, so I'm aiming for that when I'm just wearing normal shoes :P

• Cardio Like running and jogging will not help with gaining a butt. Cardio elongates muscle. weight training bulks and builds.

• It would be better if we saw both side and back view.

From what I see now, you have really nice legs and your butt is great too.

To keep toning I'd do squats and lunges... it should help defining it well.

• Yeah I tried to do a backview after iron man said that, but I can't hold my hand steady enough to take a clear pic :/

But thanks :) squats and lunges seem to be the general consensus so far so it looks like I will go with them, I was just worried I would be bulking my legs up more.

• Ummm I'd estimate probs 50% muscle 50% fat? Haha I wouldn't say a lot of it is muscle, so I'd be doing them for a while.

Yeah I don't have much equipment available, but there is a 24/7 gym at the end of my street that I've considered joining.

Oh wow, yeah my legs aren't that big!

• That's a good balance haha you wouldn't want it to be too hard either it need to be relatively soft/jiggly haha.

Yeah if you end up going to that gym work on any machines that help your lower body. A lot of people neglect the muscles on the side of their legs so if you find the machine that makes you either close or open your legs with resistance it'd be a good one. All in moderation of course lol

Haha and if I still find hers sexy you have nothing to worry about :P

• your butt is fine a it is in my opinion

• Its a side view I can't give you the honest truth

• You can't give me any opinion?

• Ok, thanks :) I tried to get a better angle pic, but I can't keep my hand steady enough to keep the picture clear :/

• Oh that's ok you don't have anything to worry about anyway, you look good from that angle

• well getting a firmer body in general from going to the gym is never a bad. your ass looks fine though..., but i can't really see much from that angle, we can't tell how wide it is, how round it is, and how it is in proportion to the rest of your body

• I think your butt looks nice. Looks like you have something to grab onto.

Do a mix of regular and goblin squats.

Reverse and side lunges.

Reverse and side kicks.

Jumping squats with weight made my legs explode by the way but it's high difficulty.

• Thanks, am trying now to just get more to hold onto.
      Jumping squats just sound painful haha, but what on earth is a goblin squat?

Thanks for answering :)

• Yeah, lots of people say don't do weighted squats cause it builds muscle and makes the legs bigger :/ haha its so hard to get a consensus!

• Well I guess it would be best to make sure you go all the way down so it puts more emphasis on your butt.

• Squats, squats, squats! Most women neglect the legs when working on the butt. Squats should cover all of your "below the waist" bases.

Oh, and your butt is nice. Try not to go Kim Kardashian on anyone... trust me, its not attractive.

• Thanks for answering :) should I do weighted squats? I just don't want to get any bigger thighs than I have.

And thanks, I would definitely never go that far, I don't find that attractive either!

• Great, thank you so much! You've been a big help :)

• My pleasure! Best of luck. If you need anymore advice, don't hesitate to drop me a message!

• Honestly, it looks pretty good already; however, if you want to make it look better then try doing some squats with weights. It will make your butt more tone, which in turn will make it look amazing.

• U hav amazing hips and a great curvy figure, with some squats here and there u could make it a little tighter. But it honestly doesn't "need" any improvement at all. I think it is great the way it is. 8/10 haha

• Thanks :) yeah I'm just looking to improve and tone, and I would like to improve my butt a bit more still :) I want to look more hourglass shaped

• Okay thankyou for answering :)

• You look good don't do anything

*Mouth Drops*

• Looks fun to me!!

• I would do nefarious things to your butt.

• The fact that your profile pic is a dolphin makes me laugh so hard at that message :P

• Forget toning lol build muscle on that booty. Squats galore is what is recommended

• Gurl 👧do you even squat? Lol

• Nope :P not at all, but I'm going too :)

• Good luck in improving that butt 8) butt it still looks good lol

• It looks good to me. Some of my female friends say squats help make it a little bigger and firmer.

• no idea from that angle

• It looks healthy but not any sporty.. At least from what I can see from this angle.

• thanks for answering :) would you be able to post a pic of what you think looks best?

• No problem haha :) and I wanted to say that those pics which I posted, they are mostly genetically like this I think. So don't worry if you can't reach that level.. And whatever exercise you do (I'm not an expert on butt shaping lol) make sure that you rather make it bigger because you definitely don't need to make it smaller. That would be a bad idea actually haha :) just personal opinion though.

• Yeah haha I'm not sure if I'll make it that big, but I definitely want to go bigger not smaller :P

• Looks fine to me.

I love it. I would not a change a thing.

• Squats are the obvious and best answer. That's all you really need for the glutes.

You look normal to me. I can't really tell because it's a side view.

• Ok great, thanks for answering :)

• StrongLifts 5x5

• I dont know what this means, sorry?

• It's a workout program lol that'll make your whole body lean and sexy including your butt: http://stronglifts.com

It's free, so don't worry about it. Oh, and weights don't make you bulky :)

• you ass is quite flat, try doing deadlifts and squats

• Heavy squats.

• yeah that seems to be the general consensus so far :)

• Squat and train all kind of sports are good.. what you like is the best for start.

• I do cheerleading already, but won't really have the availability to take on another sport this year.

• You can train 15/30 min a day at home just basic stuff.

• Oh yeah I can train and do squats and stuff, thats what I'm looking to do :) I meant I don't have the availabilities of taking on another sport with regular training and games.

• your butt is perfect for me

• That butt needs some work, but squats ain't one

• It looks like a butt.

• I think that you're just on here to get compliments...

• Definitely not, I can assure you :)

• If it had been to compliment you then yes, you would have..

My point is, you were on here to look for compliments, not to be given advice. Like I said, different guys like different things. You gave best answer to the guy who obviously thinks you need a bigger butt as well. THAT'S HIM! NOT ME

• Besides, why do you care what people on here think... what matters is how you view yourself. I'm done here

• According to me, it's pretty fine, but I would fawn over it if it were 30% more bigger.

• Ok haha I'll take my measurements and make it 30% bigger lol

• :P hahaha

• White girl problems eh?

• Black commenter eh? :D

• Haha. Dude this is an advice site, I'm allowed to ask for advice, no matter how "white girl problem" it seems

• People downvoting the truth haha. No one said you can't ask for advice on your flat booty, just a simple observation. Ill compliment you so you feel better.. great shape to it, you just need more volume.

• just a little more

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 3

• Can't really tell from a side photo. Side photos are almost always an illusion lol but you should do squats and lunges

• Haha yeah that doesn't really surprise me. I'm trying to get a decent behind pic but I can't keep my hand steady enough to take one without it looking like a blur :/

Do you do squats and lunges? Do they work?

• Oh I have pop sugar fitness so I'll find the other two :) thanks!

• You're welcome :)

• The only way you're gunna gain is doing squats with a WEIGHT and squeezing your butt when you come up from the squat. Donkey kicks and lunges also with a medium WEIGHT. THE LESS WEIGHT, THE LONGER IT WILL TAKE. Also, you need to intake lots of protein! Chicken or protein shakes (I drink Syntha-6) Will help. Trust me on this one. My butt is my main priority when I workout.

• Oh yes, I'm going on a high protein diet so that won't be a problem. So you would definitely suggest weights? What's a good weight to start out with?

Thanks for answering!

• I used a ten lb dumbbell while I sumo squat. Waiting on taxes to upgrade my equipment. For my donkey kicks, I use ankle weights and a resistance band. Side lunges I use my ten lb dumbbell. Challenge yourself. Also, if you gain some muscle in your thighs, that's totally ok!! You won't look good with a toned butt and skinny no muscle legs.

• Ok sweet thank you for all the details! You've been a lot of help :D

• You're booty is kinda flat. Do the 30 day squat challenge. It worked for me my butt is 41 inches and I'm young.

• Thanks for answering :) I've looked at those online, and there is quite a few, which one did you do? I think mine is at like 38 inches? So I would lior it to grow a bit haha :)

• Sweet thank you!!! :)

• No problem. Try it with weights. I'm sure I would've seen even better results.