My braces are off and I just got a retainer... here's the question?

when i go to sleep do i have to wear it?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes :)
    I got my braces taken off years and years ago and I still have to wear a retainer at night.

• STill like how many years?

• really so every single night ill need to wear that for the rest of my life... thats crazy

• Well my situation could be different. They just said I must put it in at night to keep my teeth from growing apart again. It's for cosmetic purposes.

What Girls Said 2

• Depends on how much your teeth move, it's different for everyone. Def wear it in the beginning for a month at least and then you can probably get away with wearing it every other night. I wear mine maybe twice a week at most, if. I feel like its tighter when I put it on than i will wear it a little more often for a while. I mean if you grind your teeth a lot than you should just wear it nightly. I don't grind my teeth and it makes my throat and mouth dry when I wear it so that's the only reason I didn't wear it nightly.

• YUP, always wear it when you're sleeping, your teeth can shift so easily in your sleep, I didn't wear it for a whole week whilst sleeping and i regret it! Is your retainer the metal one, or the clear?

What Guys Said 3

• i guess not

• For the first month, I had to wear it FULL time (yes, they love a lot). Now, I just wear it every night.

Do wear it... if you want to have straight teeth.

• I strongly recommend wearing it. Especially if you just them off. Over time (like after six months) you can start skipping nights. Wear it at least every few days for life though, or else the teeth will return to the incorrect positions.