How attractive is 'very pretty' vs. beautiful?

Guys is there a difference when you say "very pretty" vs. "beautiful"? I asked my platonic guy friend about my looks tonight and he said "I'll have to say you do have a very pretty face... So I can see what they mean."

("they" -- when someone comments on my looks, the majority of the time they use the word "beautiful" and it's usually unsolicited, thank God. Sometimes I get "gorgeous" and, rarely, sexy/hot - very very rarely "cute." I don't plan to post pics but the only "number" I've ever gotten was 6.5-7, from a girl.)

The question is - "how attractive is 'very pretty' vs. beautiful?" The reason I ask is because I don't have a clear sense of how I look other than what people have said, and spent a long time in high school/college thinking I was unattractive. I also get described as "striking" and "unconventionally beautiful."

Thanks!

just curious, how would you rate the following looks-wise?

reese witherspoon
liv tyler
jennifer connolly

Most Helpful Guy

• very pretty = 7/10
    beautiful = 9/10

maybe

• soooo by that logic i'm like an 8/10 looks-wise haha. except i don't feel like i am. what's gorgeous? 10/10? i've been called that too but by someone for whom English is a second language so am skeptical.

my crush gets all weird (facial expression) and doesn't look at me when i wonder about this aloud. it's kind of funny.

• @frost_byte I've had two people rate me 7.5-8 from different backgrounds/cultures sooo?

• @frost_byte see above

What Guys Said 13

• They are pretty much the same thing to me. I use beautiful for my lovers and very pretty for non-lovers.

• makes sense - thanks - yeah we're non-lovers and as far as I know we're not each other's "type" although I find him objectively attractive - so I figured I'd ask.

• also, pretty =/= beautiful, right? just very pretty?

• see update

• I use them both for the same level of attractiveness. When a girl is really really attractive to the point I could just be a creep and stare without blinking I use stunning And that's a 9+

• Cute, hot, and beautiful have their own definitions. Best as I can describe, a cute/pretty girl is someone who is attractive and is just kinda being, you know, just jeans and a t-shirt type deal. Beautiful normally has a bit more effort involved, and it's normally reserved for more formal looks, when you're wearing a dress or do something with your hair, but guys normally only use this when they have more than a basic interest in you. I call girls I'm into beautiful, I call my best friend pretty. Hot is normally for guys with a limited vocabulary, or when you're dressed pretty sexually.

• beauty to me is more than the superficial, when a woman is beautiful, there is something more to her than meets the eye

When i say pretty i am referring to the superficial, to the flesh, to the cloth, but nothing more...

• hmm okay - yes, I was asking him on a superficial level. maybe that's also why I don't get called sexy/hot very often - from what I understand, men tend to not say those words to women they respect (unless they're with them in which case fair game).

• well said, your face is probably strikingly pretty
      haha you sound very pretty =)

• I messaged you.

• Beautiful is higher on the scale than very pretty for me.

I throw the word pretty around lot of girls, but only the one I'm attracted to will I use the word beautiful.

• it means different things in different contexts and for different people. you can't guess based on that much. unconventionally beautiful though, is something I'd really want if I were a girl.

• thanks for your opinion and really? you'd want to be unconventionally beautiful? why?

• see update

• eh, i don't like rating women. they're all attractive certainly, though it's hard to tell how good they'd look without the hollywood super make up.

• Very pretty is like
    "Look at that girl, she's soooooo pretty *tongue drops out of the mouth with affection* "
    Beautiful is like
    "Wow, ii just wanna watch her smile all night long.*glittering eyes*"

• Huh - and by the way if you are actually from the Middle East - I've specifically been told that Arab (and maybe Turkish idk) guys would find me attractive - I don't know why, but apparently I am to them?

So beautiful is like "can't move, just stare"?

• See, that's what i'm talking about. Soooo, will you marry me <3<3 ?

• Hahaha aww thanks and check your messages.

• They mean the same thing to me they are both adjective that describe attractive.

• Same meaning

• They are all hot. And it's all the same.

• I use those terms totally randomly. But I prefer using "pretty", because it is shorter.

• Very pretty is classy. Beautiful is classy and sexy. Pretty is used a lot when just talking about the face.

• Very pretty is cute like a 7/8. Beautiful is a 9. Drop dead gorgeous is a 10.

• Soooo if I've been called all 3? mostly beautiful? I honestly don't perceive myself as an 8/9 but maybe I just don't see it.

• Can you message me?

• hey sorry - didn't reply. just fyi I am not looking for anything on here other than opinions.

What Girls Said 2

• I'm going to go with there is no set spectrum and everyone's opinions are different.

This is actually something that has been bugging me lately and I apologize for what is about to be a shallow rant:
    I hate the word beautiful. It is thrown around entirely too much and means absolutely nothing anymore. You call me beautiful and then you call the obvious troll next to me beautiful as well? Fuck that shit. That doesn't add to people's beauty, it takes away the compliment for those that are actually beautiful. It devalues it to the point I can no longer appreciate or believe the compliment. It's just a filler word with no meaning.
    I'd be all for defining the differences between pretty and beautiful and other similar words so maybe one can use the proper term when appropriate and we will no longer be cheapening them.

• Makes sense - and actually what you said is why I'm cautious about being called pretty, although again most of the time it's unsolicited and seems quite earnest, like the old woman who told me I was "the most beautiful girl she'd ever seen," and the guy (who liked me) who told me roughly the same thing, thank God.
      I tend to be kind of doubtful when people tell me I look good, mostly because guys don't tend to hit on me (or didn't - they do now - and it's confusing).

I agree that we should all, as a society, have a more standardized set of words to describe looks.

• thanks a ton - really.

• That came across as insincere I think. It's not!

• Personally I assumed that beautiful meant more than physically looking attractive but when someone seen the beauty inside and very pretty is mainly and purely physical attraction.