Are there physically and mentally differences in race, or can you really not generalize based on race?

Let´s face the truth: All animals come in different races (Horse, dogs, cats etcetera). A labrador is a lot different from a Husky in terms of, what it needs and can do. Does this also count for people? Or can we all make sure ourselves what we are able to do? Black, white, latinos, arabic, Asian people etcetera... are there any differences between those races? Can you generalize they are all different mentally and physically? Or can you really not generalize that? Just wondering :D!

Most Helpful Guy

• Everyone is unique, we all think and do things for ourselves.

When you talk about Labradors and Huskies, they're breed for a reason. They have a purpose in which they serve. Huskies are used as sled dogs, and Labradors are used as Guide dogs and various other things.

Point is: people are too quick to generalize people with things; i. e Middle Eastern people are savage and are 'terrorists', Black people are aggressive and irrational, White people think they're supreme and are racist, Asian people are always considered super smart. People are stereotyped and generalized all the time.

There are no differences, we are all equal and unique.
    Minority doesn't affect the majority.

What Guys Said 11

• It's a bit long article but you can know every difference between different races here => www.amren.com/news/2008/02/race_and_physic_1/

• It has nothing to do with race.
    It's a cultural thing that for some reason people in certain races feel compelled to fit into.

• yeah generally as a mongoloid (which means Chinese, korean, japanese, malay, native americans) I have less hair and less sweat glands per square inch of skin. I have a bigger cranial capacity and more child-like facial feature throughout my life. I have an epicanthal fold over my eyelid and all sorts of skeletal differences from Caucasoids, Negroids, and Austroloids.

I think you can make physical generalizations on race but they can only be generalizations. They can't explain specific cases...

• There are differences for sure, Surrounding environment enforces all living beings to have different characteristics to survive the environment they live in.

Each race has an origin whether geographic / historical / religions / beliefs etc.

Adding to that, that there is no human being like the other anyway so there are exceptions everywhere :)

But yes characteristics differ.

Being an Arabian, Arabs would differ in between themselves depending on region / religion / temperature / geographical location / history etc.

Maybe you should do some studies about different countries to get an idea of what i'm saying :).

• Of course there are differences, many different peoples evolved independently of each other for long periods of time in different parts of the world having to adapt to different things. As far as mental differences, I'm sure that there are some, but, I also believe that most are cultural. I don't think that any of those differences should be used to support racism and generalizations don't include everyone.

• Racism should never be supoorted.. just wondering about the differences :) thanks

• As far as some of the differences: Africans generally have a greater bone density, higher levels of testosterone, different skeletal features and elongated limbs to help with heat regulation. I'd definitely encourage looking into it, it's quite fascinating.

• all people are the same no matter their race in my opinion

• There are definitely differences in appearance between the more clearly defined races. That's how we define them in the first place. Mentally, I don't know. There might be, but I doubt we'll get a clear answer, since it's a taboo subject and ripe for abuse of bias.

• Yeah.. people inmidiately put it as race bait. very annoying.. i just wonder lol

• Because they are ´´afraid´´ to hurt someone?

• I don't know, but it seems like there are various reasons. But it all boils down to being a controversial and taboo subject with heavy connections to socioeconomic matters, so scientists probably don't want to be accused of being political.

• we are part of chimp family are saying someones else then human? dogs have breeds not races. race is a man made thing

• The words breed and dog are man made also. Couldn't we change the meaning?

• Look when I was a kid my dads brother witch is white married a black girl
    and I new from colour we was different but we still loved each other all I
    can say is there is good and bad in all race? just have to try and find out the bad and stay away from them LOL yeah I now don't say it be safe

• Well, if you look at world iq ratings you'll see Asians are the smartest and the Africans are the leeast smart. So, probably there is a change with race.

• Yeah... but in how far is this all true..

• @cipher42 i'm not talking about Asian-american and African-Americans. I'm talking about Taiwanese and Ethiopians. I'm talking about South Koreans and Guineans. Yeah there may be other reasons involved in this but just because possibility of that, you can't assume biology does not make a difference.

• But you can't assume that it does. Ever heard of a controlled experiment? If we approach this in any other way than purely scientific, we run a huge risk of the same type of discrimination happening as happened among white supremacists trying to prove that they were biologically better than people of other races. Unless there's actual hard evidence of mental differences that are biological, you just don't go there.

• yep. diseases. no evidence of psychological differences.

What Girls Said 3

• Before I answer the actual question, the different "races" you're talking about in terms of animals. aren't "races", they're species, which is something else entirely. We're talking completely different biology there. With humans, all that defines a race is a different appearance, and even then what exactly constitutes a different race is pretty vague.

So. Of course there's physical differences. As I mentioned, the very thing that defines different races is their different physical characteristics. Mentally however, I'm not aware of any research proving biological differences in the mental abilities of different races. And even if there were trends among certain races, that still doesn't mean you can generalize. There appear to be trends among the genders, but stereotyping all people of a certain gender just because of trends is ridiculous. Everyone is an individual, and while some trends may exist, many outliers will exist as well, and when you generalize you discount all these people and effectively create discrimination against them.

Basically, generalization is bad. Anytime you say "all x are y" about people, there's a damn good chance there's someone or most likely multiple someones who that doesn't hold true for. And by saying that, you're automatically "othering" those people, and essentially portraying them as freaks, as outside society, as people who can and should just be disregarded for not fitting into your shiny little boxes that you use to categorize people. And that's just not okay.

• I think that I naturally always have a healthy amount of fat and strong muscles so I can swim very fast.

• What do u think black women have generally then? :) and thanks

• It seems like black people can build muscle very easily and the Kenyans of Africa can run the fastest. Could be because running is their daily habit?

• It could.. yeah generally we are a bit stronger build hehe

• there are science behind this. you can google it the difference between the race.

• cool.. will check it out! it says black people are physically strongest in general hehe, lloool.. I dont think you can judge that! But will look into it

• that makes you a good physical labor and that's why there are cannibals. .. meaty

• wow...10 points for using your anus as a brain lmao!