Acne is taking over my self esteem?

I have acne spots on my cheeks and forehead and they are like two shades darker than my skin. Its beginning to make me feel ugly and I know it will take years to fade. I'm 15 and I feel so miserable

Most Helpful Guy

• Acne is a very tough thing at your age, I remember those years well. Have you tried OTC solutions like proactiv? If so and that hasn't worked in controlling it well, consider making an appointment with a dermatologist. There are many myths regarding acne. Some people believe it's from eating chocolate or greasy foods or from not scrubbing your face enough. In 99% of cases, it's actually hormonal and a dermatologist can prescribe or treat with a topical solution that acts on the hormonal imbalances at a localized level. Normally, I would advise not to worry about it, but if it's affecting your self-esteem in a significant way, you owe it to yourself to ask your parent (s)/guardian to get you an appointment with your local dermatologist. Be honest with them. Let them know how much the acne causes distress.

What Guys Said 2

• there's a pill that you take everyday for 6 months. it makes you break out but then poof forever. im thinking about doing it cause I saw a friend in Canada that took it and it worked for her perfectly. you have to get your blood type tested tho and it makes your skin dry but thats it : /

• as i told you before... you shouldn't worry :-)

What Girls Said 2

• Everyone has acne at our age, don't worry :)
    My mom is a dermatologist, and the #1 thing she tells people is never to pick, squeeze, or touch your skin.
    I know it's an urge that's very hard to resist doing, but it will make your skin better in the long run (and prevent pock marks and acne scars).

For products, never use anything that will strip your skin of it's natural oils. I recommend Juice Beauty, Kehil's or "Consonant". These are all natural and organic brands that clean the skin without chemicals.

I promise acne is not forever. It WILL go away with time. Your hormones are just acting up right now.. they will calm down when you reach late teens/early 20's.

• I feel your pain i remember dealing with this when i was your age and being completely miserable by it but i used to cover it with makeup which made it so much worse, have you been to a doctor to get pills for it? Also do you clean your face daily with products that dont contain perfume?