How fit do you think my body is?

What is the most effective way to tone up? I'm not completely unhappy about my body but I wouldn't mind toning up a little. I've heard you can exercise but not get results if you don't do it right so judging from my pic and any experience you have, what would you recommend be the best and most effective way to tone up?
Also can you please rate in the poll where YOU think I'm currently sitting at with fitness?

lh4.googleusercontent.com/.../Untitled1.jpg

• You're half way there
  • You've got a lot of work to do
  • I think you already look great. Don't change
Thanks everyone for your opinions. It's pretty much the results I expected.

A few quick facts I didn't mention -

I've never worked out at a gym before
I'm an active person and do a lot of walking so I'm no couch potato
I weigh 69kg
I eat meat, chicken, fish, vegetables, yogurts, eggs, pasta etc.
But I'll also sometimes eat bad foods like cakes, chocolate, ice cream, take away fried stuff.
In my job I do a some heavy lifting so that has probably helped with my arms
The main areas I want to improve are my stomach and chest. So feel free to ad anything else from my update.

Also the MHO I selected was by accident even though I do agree with it too.
I wasn't going to select any particular one. You've all been helpful so thank you very much

Most Helpful Guy

• Girls don't care if you workout, they care for your personality.

• But they do care about first impressions..

• Lmfaooooo. Howls? No.

• Personality wise? I am physically irresistible.

What Girls Said 20

• You look a whole heck of a lot better than most

• Hey there. I'm not gonna vote since I don't know what you plan to look like. I mean if you google olympic athlete body types these is a whole lot of pictures that show the athlete and what they do, and not all of them are the traditional "Fit" image. A PT friend of mine recommended HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) to me and to make sure I try to eat as healthy as possible, and I don't mean to cut out everything, but to just add slowly some more fruit and veg, and replace some things with others. Now I have seeds and nuts instead of munchies. If you want I can message a few very good heath and fitness tumblr pages that are really good motivation. People just assume that because I'm curvier than the standard and do have extra weight on me that i'm lazy and weak, and they are always shocked to see how flexible I am or the weight I lift... So fitness will first of all be different for everybody and it depends how you feel. Let me know if you need more tips tho, I'd gladly help and have a cyber gym buddy

• you look about average to me...

You must to change your diet to actually see any results from exercising. A lot of people think that what you eat doesn't matter as long as you exercise.. and that's wrong.

If you have no clue as to what to eat, and what routine to do... I would suggest reading a lot and self-informing yourself about how to do it, OR just pay for a trainer who will guide you both in diet and exercise...

Some advice:
    Add a LOT of protein to your diet (chicken breast, salmon, egg whites etc),
    Don't eat white fluffy stuff,
    Don't eat out,
    Don't fry your food,
    Cook your own food (if you must use oil, use coconut oil)
    Add a lot of leafy greens to your dinner plate (spinach, lettuce, carrots.. etc.)
    Add pasta to your diet (but not white pasta)
    Drink water and Gatorade rather than sodas.
    Don't drink or eat things that have "high fructose corn syrup" in the ingredients, Boil a LOT of eggs in water (take out the egg yolk) and eat them!
    Have a protein shake after every workout. (add peanut butter and bananas to it)

*If you eat all that, and you 'don't' have an exercise routine, you'll probably gain weight where you "don't" want it... so exercise and eat all that stuff, and you'll grow muscles* :]!

• You look great! Ultimately it's your body and only you know what you want the end result to be. I'm in the same place with my own body - I have a healthy body image but I still could do with being a little fitter.

Don't forget to mix cardio and weight training.

And I little quote I use to motivate myself: "If you don't change what you do and eat how can you expect your body to change"

• You look healthy, but if you want to tone up you should lift weights for every part of your body. don't just do arm/ body stuff because then you'll look weird with chicken legs!! As for best work out, there are tons of websites online to get toned. boxing is really good for toning from what I've heard though!! It also gives you a cardio workout so you lose fat and gain muscle

• Your body looks good. If your wanting to look more muscular then your very close to that goal. Maybe work more to build muscles in your pectorals and abdominal muscles?

• You look ok but you can make it better if you want to. Join a fitness club.
    Or go jogging.
    Watch out your diet. It takes time but you will get there.

• Your body is certainly not unattractive, but it's not very toned either. This workout was recommended by a lot of bodybuilders:
    www.muscleandstrength.com/.../jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

• You've got some work to do and your shorts are a bit to small.

• You look fine now but if you're looking to be more toned you could work on your abs and shoulders. I voted C though because I think your body is normal.

• I think you look good. Nothing to worry about there

• No offence but I voted B and suggest:

*boxing training to first burn off all the fat
    *a whole food diet
    *hydrating with water only
    *zero alcohol
    *zero drugs

• Your arms have nice definition and you don't want to be too muscular. But then again... I like a little meat on my men.

• HIIT exercises is the fastest way to tone up.

• I think you've got a lot of work to do, but you look fine to me.

• you look great but personality is more important!

• Go to Planet Fitness. It is the best gym, you can get muscles and look better than now. That's just my opinion.

• U don't look bad but you just need to tone up more which won't take to long for you

• A little flabby, but nothing alarming.

• you need to lift a little more and you would look good

What Guys Said 28

• We can't tell you from a picture what you should do.

Tell us how you are eating and working out.

Would you look better with more muscle? Sure. So would I. For me it's not happening, basically.

Some girl suggested working abs, but if you want abs you need to cut body fat from where you're sitting. On the other hand the small amount of fat you're carrying would hardly be noticeable if you were carrying more muscle on the shoulders and chest.

And finally, you're in better shape then most, so enjoy where you are. The fastest way to see improvement would be a hard 2 week fat cut. But maintaining that would suck :p

• Ok, I'm going to save you a TON of money on bullshit gym memberships and P90X workout videos.

www.military.com/.../military-workouts

The workouts these guys post are absolutely FANTASTIC for building STRENGTH AND PHYSIQUE. I promise you won't be disappointed by the results. Also, if you have not considered and are in a job that is not gratifying, the armed forces can use guys like you who care about their body. No, I am not a recruiter, but I am a veteran. If you have any questions, though, I'll gladly answer.

• I voted B. You're not massivly overweight and you have a little bit of muscle so it shouldn't be too hard for you. First though you need to build some muscle. Toning. up means building muscle and losing fat, you don't have enough muscle to start cutting yet, and it's extremely hard to cut fat and build muscle at the same time, it requires a perfect diet and a perfect training routine, which would mean hiring a professional who really knows his/her shit, which costs a lot of money. For us peasants the easiest way os to bulk up, build muscle, then cut the fat away.

To build muscle you need to do some sort of heavy resistance training and eat more calories than you need - but not so many that you get too fat, that just makes it harder to cut and is unnecessary. You don't really need to do cardio, but if you must, do short high intensity interval training. e. g. sprints rather than long distance running. HIIT burns fat, is more time efficient, boosts growth hormone and testosterone which help muscle growth. Long distance cardio produces a lot of cortisol which reduces testosterone, which makes it harder to burn fat and eats away at muscle gains. Now you need to. lift heavy weights that you can only handle for 10 reps at a time, and you need to stick to heavy, basic compound exercises such as the squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, chin-up, barbell rows. Forget isolation exercises lols bicep curls and chest flyes, they don't build enough muscle so it's a waste of time and energy, you need to be efficient.

If you don't have a gym, look at calisthenics. Push-ups, chin-ups, sit-ups, squats. All of these can be made harder e. g. one arm push-ups, wide grip chins, one arm chins, pistol squats. Try gymnastic moves like the planche or the front lever. Have you seen male gymnast bodies? I'd say they look even better than bodybuilders, and they have a lot more strength for their size too.

Cutting is easy - do all that but eat a high protein diet with lower calories.

• The girls will tell you you're half way there but you don't need people to tell you where you are lol
    Once you start seeing results , you're NEVER "half way there" , there's no finish line.

• As mentioned before you're genetically gifted with veins outside the muscle wall on your arm. Now the two things I can tell you , which will help a lot. 1. Lift weights - this is scientifically proven to burn fat fast.
    2. - try intermittent fasting. I'm a big guy anyway but doing a 18 off 6 on cycle, I was at 195lbs and 8 % body fat.

Get some protein in your diet. Chicken, eggs, cottage cheese and tuna.

Carbs such as brown pasta, brown rice, sweet potato and tortillas are good.

Fats. Very important. Advacado , olive oil , fish oil and coconut oil are great. But you can't top natural peanut butter. Get the kind with NO PALM OIL.

Any questions at all, message me.

Chris. 20 years experience in gym's, 12 years military service, Endurance training leader and uk armed forces ultra fit competitor.

• a little chubby but not unhealthy

• Build abit more muscle bro:) everyone could benefit from a little bit of muscle:) your forearms looks amazing i can see that thick ass vain ;)

• eat right, train right, sleep right and you will get results.
    Shifting the fat is going to take a lot of effort but a little fat is a huge help when trying to build up.
    I have very low fat and I'm trying to squeeze in 5000 cals a day to put up weight and am doing so while putting up very little fat.
    You on the other hand do not need to eat as much which just makes life easier and try to take some of your cals out of your excess fat.
    If you could burn an extra 500 cals a day you would be well on your way but this means trying to get into the gym maybe twice a day, your cardio is what will burn most of the fat but you can use some of it to build muscle and define your body. I would probably do about 3/4 cardio and 1/4 weights at about 12 or so reps. If you go too low you are training your nerves as much as anything and is purely strength. mid range of reps will build the most muscle and should help you convert some of that to lean muscle.

• I voted A, your arms and upper body look fine and no offence but to make your chest area look better i recommend sit ups, 10 regular up and down one and 10 side to side, do 10 of each when you wake up and when you go to bed, keep doing this for as long as you want or util you tone up more. When you find 10 of each easy go 15 and then 20 etc to do more.

If you have a gym close by then use that, you can tone up with lighter weights to define muscle and increase over all muscle with heavier ones, remember, in order to build muscle you have to tear the current tissue!

Im no professional but raced motocross for a few years and this worked for me :)

• Answering all of your questions.

Your body is alright.. not impressive. Average.
    The most effective way to 'tone' up (lol I hate that term), is to go on a caloric deficit.

3/10 in terms of fitness goals. Still have a ways to go, but goals differ from person to person so its very subjective.

• Your arms are getting there and look pretty good but you need to work on your pecs because you are as flat chested as an 8 year old haha.

Adjust your diet also so you can lose some fat and get some abs visible. Your like 5.5/10 there to a nice body from an average body.

• Chest development is key for you, your arms look good but your chest looks weak
    girls like chest
    Bench, Bench, and bench some more!

• You look fine. However, if you want to tone up you don't need to go to the gym. Do sit-ups and crunches. Do push-ups. Maybe run or bike for some cardio.

• lol lot of work to do buddy

• Go jogging and work on your torso: your back and your abs mostly. Personal trainers are good for that since this is a very individual problem. Though what they all will tell you is to get your cardio going, which means jogging/swimming :)

• I have a boner

• Sorry old creap but I don't swing that way

• Don't measure yourself in how you look but what you can do.

The physique will come naturally. Just stick to compound exercises. Fit a run in here or there. Don't run too much since it is actually murder on your knees.

• Try some different activities, and pick the one where you have most fun. Enjoyment is really important for perseverance.

And be patient. You will get results if you educate yourself and put in the work.

• From the sounds of it, you never lifted? You have good forearm genetics. If you get into lifting, you'll be a beast. Go lift, don't waste your genetic potential. Most people with your flabby build would have stick arms.

• Do you look good? I don't know.

Are you fit? No you are not.

• Looks healthy to me. No Superman or Wonder Woman, but fine.

• When ur watching TV, on every add break to 20 sit ups (crunches) until u reach 200, do that for 6 weeks and results are guaranteed

• Depends what your goals are. I would say you are half way to looking pretty damn legit. Keep it up

• you are skinny fat, the best thing to do would go on a bulk for about a year and once you have a good foundation of muscle you should cut and get rid of the fat, rinse and repeat

• why has this got downvotes? dumb ignorant fucks this is the best advice

• Do you even lift bro? Lol, of course you don't.

• You're absolutely correct

• I think you look good the way you are

• There is only one way to lose weight. Caloric deficit

• You're looking very soft in your core. If you're looking for tone, I'd suggest focusing on a moderate-ish cutting phase to shed some body fat % off first. From there, start taking up a good weight lifting regimen and DIET PROPERLY. Clean bulk, because you don't want to waste all the time cutting if you're just going to pack body fat back on.

Your arms look like you're at a good starting point with them at least. So I don't imagine tone is going to be too hard for your bi's, tri's, and forearms. Same with your shoulders- you should see them balloon up in a decent amount of time.

Your chest is non-existent and you need to get some serious bulk going on in it. If you go heavy enough during each workout and give it 110% each time, it shouldn't be too much of any extra effort needed to fill it up and round it out. But right now, it's flat stretched thin. You'll want to make sure to hit it from all angles (flat, incline, and decline). This is what I'm on right now actually- my lower pec is much more rounded than my upper, but I've been really hitting my upper hard these last few weeks so it's starting to round off completely. Your chest doesn't look "pulled together" but with the weight training, that should get fixed assuming you have a good routine and are eating properly.

But yeah, focus on your cut for now to get rid of that fluff around your core. People say you can do it either way- cut and then bulk, or bulk then cut. But for the sake of aesthetics and not having to double back, I'm more of a fan of cutting then bulking. Weekly spot checks are much easier and more effective when you can actually see progress you're making and what weak points you need to focus on.

And don't make the rookie mistake of forgetting about your legs, or your back/obliques when you do your core lol