Should I bleach my hair before dyeing it?

My hair is naturally black. I want to dye it with Chestnut Brown. But other people say that it might not get an effect since my hair is darker than the color I want it to be. Should I bleach it before dyeing it so I can get the best results?

Most Helpful Guy

• You could try dying a portion of your "inside hair" (hair closest to your head, whatever that may be called, where no one can see it). That way you can see the results without any bleach without committing to a large cost. Then go from there.

What Guys Said 1

• Bleaching is always bad for your hair's health. You should simply try using a lighter color than the brown you actually want.

What Girls Said 1

• You will get better results, the dye will actually show more but keep in mind that once the dye fades you'll forever have that blonde color from the bleach and the only way to get rid of it is to cut it off or re dye.