Obviously I know I am black and proud of my color but lately I have had people ask me on here " are one of your parents white", or even saying " she's not black or at least I didn't know she is" and I have to correct them. Do I look like something else? you can go on my profile picture.

Most Helpful Guy

• For one thing, a lot of people are stupid. So you'll get a lot of stupid thoughts coming your way no matter what the subject. With this subject in particular, there seems to be some kind of misconception that there is ONE shade of black coming from Africa, and that anyone lighter than the darkest shade is therefore some kind of mix. They don't seem to realize that there is a huge range of diversity in skin tone across Africa. People with ancestry from Namibia or Sudan could look way, way darker than someone with ancestry from Eritrea, which will look darker than someone with ancestry from Tunisia.

So, as you get lighter, the possibilities of mixed race start getting more prevalent. Namibian plus white could start getting shades more like an Eritrean. Eritrean plus white could start looking somewhat Tunisian. With the melting pot of the USA, you would also be getting 'light' skinned black people with 'dark' skinned black people, and you are going to complicate things even more. Namibian plus Tunisian could also look Eritrean, so you have African decent plus African decent looking like someone with some white ancestry...

People have no way of knowing how 'mixed' someone's ancestry is just by looking at their skin tone. Every combination just ends up looking like the 'normal' distribution of somewhere else, except for extreme cases.

So... all I can say with certainty is that you do not look like you are ethnically Scandinavian, or ethnically Germanic. If someone said "look for the black girl in the room with all the girls from Sweden" I would look in your direction. I wouldn't know if you were 'mixed' or not, I wouldn't know what kind of ancestry you had, but you 'read' as black, compared to Northern Europeans.

What Guys Said 11

• Yes you're obviously black but there is some brownish complexion so that might be the reason. I think it's because of lightning or you really are not too dark.

• Yeah pretty much.

• Yes you look it. I wouldn't think anything else.

• You look in the range of in the light shade of black just darker than mixed race ( does that make sense ) but hair and facial features very black.

• You look black with maybe a small part of your family from a mixed race.

• At first glance you look black, but your lips are slimmer than the average, so that would lead me to think you are something else mixed.

• hmm you look black to me

• Your a dark brown like caramel

• You look black to me... cheers :)

• Yea to me.

• Yeah you do. I won't rate you, but your username is 9/10

What Girls Said 12

• You look black to me but if I found out you were mixed I wouldn't be surprised.

there is another user on here (dk her name) who claims to be multiracial and hates being thought of as just black but she looks blacker than you

• Yes you look black, but you have a pretty skin color and it's really light, so maybe that's why some people will get confused, and some people will stereotype, thinking that If you are black, you are supposed to be black, but don't be knowing it
    I have witnessed it before with a friend I knew her skin color wasn't black or brown and people were in shock that she wasn't white, it has happened to me before for my voice.

• I don't even consider myself "light skinned". I think I'm on the darker side which I do love but I'm seriously shocked people would ask but like you said stereotypes do run rampant

• I understand and yeah I know, so many people stereotype it's ridiculous, I mean I have done it and i hate doing it, but nothing that involves race

• Yes, you look black. I wouldn't be totally floored if you told me one of your parents were white though. Regardless, you're pretty :)

• You don't look mixed to me. My mother has hazel eyes and light skin and nobody ever thinks that she's anything but black. People assume that if you're light then you MUST be mixed and that is so far from the truth and pretty stupid. I'm actually pretty repulsed that people are even saying things like "you're black BUT you're pretty". Almost insinuating that you can't be black AND pretty. Yes, you're really pretty, embrace it! <3

• Yep you look black but maybe that's because I'm also black.

• Your skin color. But your pretty :3

• You look black, and it's great because black people have so many different looks! I get asked if I have a white parent too sometimes, which surprises me ha. But mostly get that I'm Dominican (though I am half Latina).

• Yea, you look black.

• you look black too me.

• yeah you do in my opinion.

• Nah, you look forest green to me.

• Yes you look black you don't even really look mixed to me. I'm black but people never believe that I don't have white or Latino in me. Well I do have other stuff along my roots like everyone else but yea