Why is it after high school people tend to just get fat and obese?

Ever heard of the phrase freshman 15

Freshman 15 -When a first year college student (usually a female) eats a ton, and precedes to sit on her ass and gain 15 lbs.

Why is it after high school people tend to just get fat and obese ?

Seeing that women pride themselves on their beauty and men tend to be attracted to skinnier girls more so than thick girls. Why is it so many women just naturally accept the pounds and allow themselves to become progressively fatter each year

Also why is it usually occur more so with women than men. While it is true that guys get fat as well, you find it less so among males. In fact many men actually put on lbs but instead of it being blubble, its muscles.

So possible answers to this I've found is lack of negative social feeback from people and incentive to change. Even though the quality of men a woman can attract decreases with weight (in general). A woman can still by an large have a wide range of male suitors to pick from, and so doesn't feel the need to change and improve her physical health like a man would.

Another possibility is that due other women and men constantly telling women how beautiful they are even though they are becoming more progressively obese. I've seen this time and time again where even the most ugly/average girl will recieve compliments from males and females on how pretty/attractive she is. While her male counterpart will not recieve these claims.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also why is it usually occur more so with women than men

While it is true that guys get fat as well, you find it less so among males. In fact many men actually put on lbs but instead of it being blubble, its muscles.

Most Helpful Girl

• Unless this person you speak of is your Mom, wife, sister, girlfriend, basically any woman that's in your life and care about, what personal interest do you have making it your business to comment about other people's weight? Or are you simply just stating obesity is everywhere, people don't care about themselves and society should shame them to Lose weight? Hear me out. I do not deny that obesity everywhere on various levels. I don't even deny there is some truth to what your saying.

In a world where burgers are $1.00 and salads are $7.00, in a world where junk food is cheap and healthy food isn't so much. In a world where people judge others without ever knowing their story. Good choices aren't inherent for everyone. So when we know better, we should do better. These things, I agree.

What bothers me here is that you think ( per your statement above) that negative social feedback is something Lacking. And you insinuated that should be a viable incentive for a fat person to be motivated to lose weight. Really? Fat shaming and body shaming is EVERYWHERE. And I can tell you first hand that there is absolutely ZERO incentive received from fat shaming.

Although I don't agree with this seemingly societal view that everybody plays and everybody wins mentality, I also have this thing called compassion and empathy towards others so I do not believe at all that public shaming of any kind for this reason is helpful.

I can say this because I know of which I speak. At my highest weight I was 340 lbs. At no time did a mean comment or mean action by someone ever give me "incentive" to lose weight. Exactly the opposite. Doritos here I come. That said, since my highest weight of 340, I have changed my life by education and exercise, with love, support and compassion from those in my life. I now weigh 170. Perhaps you may still call that overweight, but, I can tell you this, medically I am fit with no comorbidities, I run obstacle courses and 5k runs, my husband *cont*

• And I bike 25 miles in a few hours, I box, I life weights. I am active as heck. As for the Freshman 15, stress, first time being awAy from home, no rules, ability to do what you want when you want. Possible reasons. My point really just being that incentive for change for ANY reason must come from within that person. No amount of shaming will be helpful on any level.

• Thank you.! I'm 5'6. Athletic build. I'm more muscle now. But I'm more than totally okay with my body. It's mine, I own what I've put it through and I'm amazed at what it can now do.

• Yeah see I'm 6'1" so 170 looks completely different on me just because of that. It's right in the middle of the healthy range but I'm mostly muscle as well, from years of playing hockey (and I still play).

I had to accept my height (it's awkward being as tall as the guys sometimes), used to always wish I was much shorter, lol. Too bad that can't be changed like weight can be!

What Girls Said 12

• This only seens to happen on a large scale in the US from what I can see, because there's so much cheap junk food and dinosaur sized portions at McDonald's and whatnot. But I think the weight gain is due to a few reasons. These are just assumptions though.

1) Most college kids are no longer living at home so now they can eat whatever they want, whenever they want without mom and dad cutting the junk food like burgers and pizza. Most school meal plans have terrible, unhealthy food choices as well, and since students have limited money, they usually eat that because it's cheap.

2) They've gone from a small school community to a much larger one, so there's much less chance of being noticed and then scrutinized and bullied for being fat.

3) Men don't seem to gain weight as fast (on average) because I think they tend to have a higher metabolism. Estrogen in women causes us to pack on the pounds in the ass and thighs for reproductive purposes, but it can easily be kept off with proper diet and exercise. I find that men tend to exercise more and are more involved in varsity sports as well, so this is why they're not gaining as much weight.

4) Partying, drinking, and drug use. Definitely not the way to go if you want to be healthy. Partying and staying up all night fucks up the metabolism, beer and other alcohols are pretty fattening when drunk in excess over a short period of time, and the most common college drug - marijuana - seems to make people want to eat in excess and eat the wrong foods.

• Well I am a current freshman in college and I lost about 20pounds actually. I didn't lose enough lbs in my second semester and started eating a lot. Well I didn't gain pounds but I haven't lost anything since December! I failed all my college classes so that means I have to retake all the classes in the fall and that alone make me want buy a pizza and cry. Since it summer and I don't have job... I plan on excersing everyday and learning how to cook. Also, maybe do some volunteer work so yeah.

• Well for one guys still have their young guy metabolism. My boyfriend was so skinny in highschool and t guy friends I college where skinny too. They drank more than me, they ate more than me, they ate more shitty food than me, they worked out less than me, but they we're still skinny. I would eat a salad everyday, and exercise regularly but still they were skinnier than me. Unfortunately my body wants me to has a baby right now because I'm super fertile.
    But still tons of people gain weight in college. With school and work and being poor, pulling up to mcdonalds seems like an awesome option. First it starts off a couple times a month, then a couple times a week, then almost everyday. Because it's cheap, and convenient.
    I see many people in college who start to put on weight because for the firt time you have responsibilities and no one to help you

• Blah blah blahhhh! I stopped reading after the whole "sit on her ass" thing. I had no money in college so most times I didn't eat, therefore I actually lost weight my freshman year of college. But do you have any idea how stressful college can be? And if you were gonna do a freshman 15 example, you should've used both guys and girls. Your question said "people" but yet you only attacked girls. And you don't know what the cause of weight gain is for any of these girls so yeah.

• I didn't read everything because it's way too long, but it's probably because when you grow, you can pretty much eat everything you want and get used to a lifestyle so when you stop growing, your metabolism gets slower, you don't really go to any sports clubs anymore, but you're still used to that lifestyle from when you were 14 and some people can step away from that lifestyle by dieting and some can't.
    Also, after highschool you go to college or university and you have to start cooking on your own and fast meals are always easier than vegetables. The partying is going on in college and university and alcohol gives a big amount of calories, so with this all it's pretty hard to maintain your weight.

• i personally was the exact opposite, so i don't know.

• Because they stop caring. To be honest... If I ever weigh more than 115 lbs i would consider suicide. I just can't be fat ever.

And honestly... Some women and men are normal on the chubby side in highschool and then they get overweight and then they start being considered overweight

• Its not like I asked to gain weight! College is just so stressful 😖

cdn.themetapicture.com/.../...Science-guy-meme.jpg

• I literally just gained my freshmen fifteen and am now trying to lose it. It's because of all of the junk food and yeah you just forget about yourself sometimes. I'm trying to lose it though. :/ bleh I look my worst

• You are soooo annoying ! Just because something is unattractive to you doesn't mean it is for someone else

• Because it's all down heel from there...

• People that don't run/go to the gym will most definitely.

More alcohol
    More fast food
    Cheaper food
    Sedentary lifestyle (TV/Study if you don't play collegiate sports)

Yea, sounds like a recipe for fatness.

What Guys Said 8

• I actually think fat has become normalised, to the extent that about 2 stone overweight (14lbs) is normal, or at worst, 'chubby' and true (50 years ago) normal is now more deemed to be unusual, skinny, or slim.

People naturally become less dynamic after the age of 25 (because usually they've entered the world of work), they have responsibilities such as mortgage, or perhaps children, their partner, and it really leaves little time for reflection. It's a biological fact that the body simply can't adsorb the same level of abuse as the childish eating of the teen years, when generally the body heals itself very quickly, and the metabolism is fast. They don't realise that these habits can't carry over, and start to wonder why on earth they feel so sick, exhausted, sore, pain in the knees, back, sciatica, etc.

Modern living is simply exhausting, unnatural, and bombards one with too much sensory information, to the affect that one needs bigger and bigger buzzes to derive any kind of pleasure. That's where junk food and emotional eating comes in. Plus there's really no energy left after all that lot, to exercise. Exercise, is after all, as we 'westerners' know it, a yang (or expansive) activity; namely that, it consumes energy. Whereas exhausted bodies require yin (reflective) activity (such as meditation and tai chi), to put some water on over heated nervous systems. So people aren't sufficiently aware of these exercises, particularly experientially; and again, they usually have bad reputations because us 'sophisticated' westerners pour derision on mystical health care systems, or romanticise their benefits and perpetually misunderstand.

Personally, I find it hard to date women my age. I just don't find them particularly attractive because it's evident that they don't take care of themselves. It's not just about weight, bad habits reflect on their face and energy levels.

• because you're butthurt they don't want to bone you... so you post shit about them on some website.

But then considering most younger people don't give a shit about healthy eating/diet, I doubt this attempt to shame somebody you don't need to care about makes sense.

Oh, and even when she's bigger, she's not that bad looking. Looks is more than size, she still has a nice curves, face and boobs.

• Becausse having a discussion of real world phenomenon = i must be bitter.

Strong white knighting and use of shame tactics. Did your post defending your ladies honor help you get laid?

• lololol... sorry dude, i'm just commenting on your post. But then continue to be bitter... You wanted opinions, you got them, duh.

• In my post i started off taking a direct definition of freshman 15 from urban dictionary. i then talked about why people got fat after high school and looked at why women let themselves go more so because more women let themselves get fat than men as they get older.

I then gave reason for why?

How is that bitter?

• They have full time jobs, quite possibly sedentary ones, and are so tired afterwards they can't be bothered exercising.

They don't live at home any more, which means no mom and dad cooking them dinner and nagging them to not eat junk. They themselves don't know how to cook, so they just eat junk.

They can legally drink now, as much as they want.

• In a lot of cases they are simply containing to gain weight. They didn't plateau then start gaining. it's just steady accumulation catching up with them.

• A lot of women comfort eat and in addition a considerable number are foodies that I would say are the main reasons for piling up the pounds

• I look the same as I was in highschool

• After partying so much and drinking beer girls tend to let go.

• i1127.photobucket.com/.../...f.com-add-text_15.gif I Couldn't have said it better myself, hell all of my friends are the same way (Letting themselves go) while me on the other hand. I'm looking better and better by the day, ya know I actually look my age unlike them who're 21 yet they look 31 years old via drugs, drinking, fat, saggy etc LOL LIKE WTF HAPPENED TO YOU MAN? ya went from little miss perfect to EWWW!!! LOL

But IMHO that only happens when they don't feel the need to to take care of themselves. Since they won't be seeing 600+ students anymore at school daily. Who'll talk shit about them if they're out of shape, have a bad haircut etc. Basically, they feel that they have nothing left to prove and or anybody to impress anymore so why try staying fit? -_-

• I keep myself in shape FOR MY OWN GOOD by the way not because of what _____ may think. ^_^