Why would someone assume you're a nymphomaniac :p?

A few friends said I was one, when I didn't even have a clue what that meant lol. Are there certain signs I might be giving off for them to think of me as such?

Most Helpful Guy

• There are physical clues that help one suspect a woman is a nymphomaniac and the #1 clue is hair. If a woman has some facial hair like a slight mustache that she needs to deal with regularly, this means that she has elevated levels of testosterone, so her sex drive is usually higher. Also, nymphos are usually "healthy girls" - they have a nice bust, and hips, and curves. Finally, you see them hang around or interact with men more than women - they like to be around their prey.

• I'm not sure where you are getting your expertise but nymphomania is a psychological disorder, not an imbalance of the endocrine system. Actually, the term has fallen out of use as a diagnosis and is not used in clinical settings. The new classification is Hypersexual Disorder and proposed criteria recently emerged in the DSM-V (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, Fifth Edition). Causation is still little understood.

The condition you are referring to may be PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). This is a female endocrine disorder that often causes elevated testosterone, hirsutism and increased weight gain in the form of adipose tissue. However, there are no known associations between PCOS and excessive, impulsive and risky sensual behaviors as there are with Hypersexual Disorder.

Are you drawing your conclusions from personal empirical data?

• Forgive me for getting snippy, but part of our problem who use technical terms is that we often mistakenly take literally what lay person says and apply the formal definitions to their speech.

Now, I don't think this young lady is interested in clinical nymphomania. If she was, she could look up DSM-V or some other officious site for symptoms. She is simply asking a question about clues for detecting what a lay person would call a nymphomaniac - a person with an elevated sex drive that compromises their prohibitions. If that is hypersexuality, fine, but lay people don't think like that.

As for my "hypothesis", it's simple - whenever I see a woman who has extra hair, I've noticed their other attributes which include enhanced feminine features and very elevated sex drive. The cause of the hair and the elevated sex drive? Elevated testosterone levels. It's that simple. That does not mean that there are other nymphos who do not exhibit these attributes.

• I do not have excess hair nor am I very curvy, but wow that was interesting to read :o

What Guys Said 5

• Actually, for me, hypersexuality (the modern and mixted name for "nymphomany") is relative to the feelings of the subject. If you have sex four times a day and it does not disturb you, you are not. The same way, if you fed up of having urge to have sex every week, you're hypersexual.
    Note that is my point of view, and in that, I'm hypersexual.

• Actually, strictly speaking, nymphomania is a psychological disorder and relatively rare. People use the term loosely to describe a woman who likes frequent sex. But what do you call a guy who likes sex often? Normal. How fair is that?

• I totally agree! Sounds refreshing to hear this from a man :)

• Have you even had sex more than once a day to qualify for qualifying to be a nympho?

• Well no, however these friends know nothing of my personal life :p

• In that case I suggest you tell them to flip open their iPhone, type in "nymphomaniac" in google and read what it means.

• Haha lol will do :p

• I don't know what that means so I'm not sure why

• It means a woman that has a huge sex drive :p

• I guess you do things in a sexual manner whether it's intentional or not. Or you're just very attractive and they're hoping that you are one so they might have a chance with you lol

• Maybe you concentrate too much on sex topics when talking or are overtly flirty

What Girls Said 2

• Because they are dumb.

• What does that mean? :P

• It means a woman with a huge sex drive :p

• Oh snap girl! 😜
      Hmm, guessing it was a joke since they don't (and shouldn't) know that for sure. Maybe you're just flirtatious?