Are birthmarks a turn off?

So I have a decent size birthmark that looks like it could be a huge rash or bruise around my right elbow. Even when my arm is down at my side, it's still visible from behind. I usually don't think about it, but can't help but wonder what people really think of it. I know people look at it. Not necessarily stare at it, but I know they see it for sure, it's very visible and kinda hard to miss. Not very many people ask about it, but when they do, they're usually a little nervous asking me and it's always along the lines of "What happened to your arm?" or "What's wrong with your arm?"

What do you think? What's your honest initial reaction to seeing it? Is it ugly and unattractive? Is it a turn off?
Are birthmarks a turn off?

Yah it's not your typical birthmark, I've never met or seen another person with it. And that's what I'm talking about, people don't know what it is and would never guess it's a birthmark. Then they ask what happened to my arm?

And yes it is a birthmark, I think it's called port-wine stains. has to do with the blood vessels in the effected area and usually appears in shades of purple and red in blotchy patterns.
Well I think I can come to the conclusion from responses that people simply don't recognize it as a birthmark, which is why people tend to look at it and ask about it. It really doesn't bother me physically or emotionally, I was more so just curious what people really thought about it and why they ask about it. Thanks for your responses! :)

Most Helpful Guy

• A bit weird looking yes but I don't think that will keep girls away. Once she knows you than I doubt she will pay your birth mark any attention.

What Girls Said 5

• That's a birthmark? I thought it was eczema at first. But I would be able to get over it. I mean, I have a birth mark on my eye that people don't usually notice.

• I wouldn't care.

• Those don't look like birthmarks.

• exactly. it's called port-wine stain, and it's rather rare, effecting less than 3 out of every 1000 people. so most people probably wouldn't recognize it as a birthmark.

• Eh, it would bother me.

• Wouldn't***** sorry! Epic fail.

• I would never not date someone because they had some birth marks. That is so superficial.

• I think that might be a scar, not a birthmark...

• exactly. it's called port-wine stain, and it's rather rare, effecting less than 3 out of every 1000 people. so most people probably wouldn't recognize it as a birthmark, but rather as a scar, bruise, or rash.

• Well, I'd still date you with or without it. Personality is what brings out the best.

What Guys Said 4

• tsk... i'd not even notice em :)

• I don't think anyone would be that superficial.

• It's not that bad, I don't think it would be a turn off for most girls

• The things that girls worried about.