Why do people rate themselves so low?

No, they're not lacking self esteem. They are very honest and honourable people. And I must say, good looking. But like every person underrate oneself.

Compliment seeking? Wanting validation? Or just human nature?

Why?

Most Helpful Girl

• We are always our worst critics.

That's definitely a known fact!

However,

I do believe some people on here tend to fish for compliments a lot.

I've seen some people with the words "sexy" or "beautiful" in their name and they ask how they appear to others.

Well obviously, you think this highly of yourself already to make that your user name.
    Why act as if you don't feel that way and have low self esteem.

• lol, yeah i noticed that too!

• "I've seen some people with the words "sexy" or "beautiful" in their name and they ask how they appear to others."
      A very good point :)

• I'm kind of guilty of the last part. The thing is, yes I do have low self esteem but my username doesn't reflect me in any way. I chose it simply because I like the way it sounds.

Most Helpful Guy

• WHY?
    that's easy society and media!
    We have been programmed to want to look like someone else that we become so consumed into looking like celebrities and set the bar so high.
    We never realise that we look great no matter what the media warp our minds to think otherwise.
    We are constantly comparing ourself to others, that we can never look like, and then bring our self's further down, because that's impossible to do sometimes!

So, therefore goodlooking individuals will almost feel that there not so good looking.
    This can also be a part played from not being approached much often, as goodlooking people may be intimidating to some thus feel not appreciated!

What Girls Said 11

• i think it's just because we are our harshest critics. it's amazing how differently people c us to the way we see ourselves.

• Bad self image or maybe in their culture they are not seen as good-looking or they have been bullied.

Wouldn't immediately describe this as wanting validation, compliment seeking or human nature.

Also people might be really mean and say that they are arrogant by rating themself high.

I think there is more to it.

• Because everyone knows themselves better than other people, and are fully aware of their flaws.

• It's how some of us see ourselves. I personally would never give myself a high rating because there would always be people who will disagree with me.
    You have to know, that not everyone is like that. There are people out there who rate themselves a 7 or 8. I've witnessed that on that one gag question I saw earlier today.

• It's not always about fishing for compliments or anything. We seldom see ourselves the way other's see us. You may see an attractive person, but you never know what they're dealing with on the inside.

• Because they genuinely think it, they're seeking attention or to not appear conceited.

• It's because you see yourself when you're ugly, for example when you're ill or a bad day in general, so you know how bad you actually can look!

• We know what our flaws are. We are harsher critics to ourselves because of that.

• So you are talking about such flaws which make you rate yourself 5/10 but for others they're unnoticeable?

• We find something within ourselves that we really don't like. We don't focus on the positive things about it but focus on the negative things more because we don't like it. Making us rate so lowly of ourselves. It's just being realistic but over exaggerating it.

• They are rating their own self esteem rather than what they look like.

• I think I'm average, not a low rating. Its just what I think I am personally.

• I guess it depends on the person. Everyone has insecurities and flaws no matter how good looking they are, but some people let it show more than others.

• Flaws which make you rate yourself 5/10 but for others they're unnoticeable?

• We judge ourselves way more harshly than other people judge us. It sucks

What Guys Said 9

• people are probably worried about coming off as conceited, or maybe they just don't think they are all that in comparison to others. I'm sure there's definitely some compliment fishing mixed in there too, but i can't say that is true for every single case

• maybe they don't wanna sound conceited?

• I'm a 0.5/37
    This is clearly realistic and not a cry for attention.

• How accurate and realistic observation. I think you're intelligent. Don't worry, use this intelligence and get a good job and eventually, a plastic surgery.

• It's better to be safe than sorry I guess and we are usually our own enemy or toughest critics

• On posts on GAG I rate myself pretty damn high and get tons of downvotes from betas lol, guess it's the culture here.

• The only person you should compare yourself to is the person you were yesterday. It's the only thing measurable.

• People undervalue themselves

• Because people would rather be honest with themselves then live a comforting lie.

• Maybe they are wrong.

• Nah, I personally think if you're completely honest with yourself and your flaws it'll make you more confident because you'll realize that you may not be great in one aspect of yourself but in another you're amazing.

• Haha good good. I liked it.

• I don't do it for attention or compliment seeking. I actually believe I am a 2 or a 3/10