Am I really fat?

Hi, I'm Marie. I'm 16, 5 foot 7 inches tall, and I'm 190 lbs. Am I really fat?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because there are so many different body types, levels of muscularity, bone density, levels of athleticism, etc its difficult to say whether or not an individual is 'fat' based solely on those numbers alone. However, in my experience as a personal trainer I have ran the numbers (mainly out of curiosity) on many of my clients just to get an idea of what 'can' be considered acceptable/healthy weight in pounds to height in inches ratio and these are the numbers I've come up with:

For women, 2.35lbs per inch in height

For men, 2.85lbs per inch in height

So, take your height in inches and multiply that by 2.35 to determine if you are within (i. e; below 2.35lbs/inch) the acceptable range. You could also divide your bodyweight by your height in inches. If you exceed the ranges I have provided then by most standards you would be considered unhealthy/overweight.

These are absolute maximums and are based on individuals who both exercise routinely and whose diets are considered to be healthy and well balanced. Of course, there are ALWAYS exceptions to this formula i. e; extreme athletes such as bodybuilders and powerlifters.

Finally, I am not a medical professional and make no such claims. The advice given here is purely recreational and is not intended to treat or cure any diseases or conditions.

What Guys Said 12

• Well you're slightly shorter than me, and you're my weight, but I have a fat stomach but you can barely tell if I'm wearing a XL or XXL shirt.
    But girls have more fat than guys naturally. But fat weighs less.

So yes I'd assume you're kinda fat looking.

• I had a girlfriend who was exactly that. 16, 5'7"ish and 190ish. I was happy. She had a great face, was a nice girl, and loved me. We were together over 2 years and I was stupid and dumped her.

• fat... eh ok on da heavier side better

• It depends on your build. If you have a thick and curvy build, you are not fat. I have seen plenty of healthy voluptuous woman your weight and height. I'd have to see a photo

• That is not a healthy weight. Just think of how that will affect your long term future and health

• maybe chubby

• Without pics i can't tell you...

• I say drop some weight I say about 20-30lbs.

• You really are!

• 5'7 190, I'd say your a bit big. I'm about 190-200 at 6'0/

• Do you think I'd look better if I was 170 lbs?

• Yes you are really fat

• your not fat but defiantly on the chubbier side.

What Girls Said 8

• Your BMI is 29,8 which would make you overweight, nearly obese. I'm not really a big fan of BMI since it's usually inaccurate for taller people and doesn't take body fat percentage or muscle mass into account but it's a pretty good measurement for your weight in proportion to your height and with your BMI being that high it means that there could be some serious health risks for you in the future. I don't know how you define fat and I don't like calling people that word but I think if your weight is this high and it could really cause health issues you should probably consider losing some weight of your weight to bring your back into a healthy weight range. You're still young so it will be easier to change this now as opposed to in 10 years.

• Thanks for the advice. :)

• Depends on your build and where you carry your weight... but that number is on the overweight side... do you eat healthy?

• Yeah, I eat healthy. I also avoid foods with lots of bad chemicals in them, junk food included.

• Then if you eat well, its prob muscles, build or curves losing a little bit of weight may be good, but up to you!

• Well a picture would be better, but I don't imagine that being very fat.

• I'd say you should lose around 30 pounds if you don't like you weight.

• you just need to lose a couple of pounds. just start with something small and work your way up

• Show us a picture of your body.

• I would but I can't. I've only been able to upload pictures on the MyTakes.

• A little on the heavier side because I'm 6' and I'm 168

• A little chubby.