Guys, Why are guys intimidated by my hijab?

I wear something along the lines of this:
I noticed guys tend to avoid me at uni. They won't speak to me or look at me unless I speak to them first. I'm from the UK and over there guys aren't intimidated by me. They ask me out. For some reason, here in America they are :/

thank you for your answer! :)

7

Most Helpful Guy

• I find many hijab women attractive. However I don't talk to them cause I believe there is no point, as I believe she can't date out of her religion so why bother. Friends with her is okay though :)

What Guys Said 6

• Well you have to understand is that it isn't common and we are at war with a lot of terrorist groups from the middle east. And unlike the UK we have had quiet a few bombings, terrorist attacks and the like here, the UK hasn't really been attacked like that, while we have.

We have a reason to be hesitant and or cautious now that doesn't mean your not a nice girl or anything, but where you are here, will decide how your treated my advice just give it time, show the people of your area. Who you are, and that your nothing to be feared and that they don't need to be weary, lead by example. That is the best advice I can give you, and some people here have the tendency to judge a book by it's cover at first, they need to judge you by the contents within, just give it time, be friendly.

• not so common in america

• We don't want to get blown up or beheaded for checking you out. I'm serious. Where are you in the USA? Depending on where you are will make a difference.

• So do you want the non-Muslim guys to hit on you or what?

• Islamophobia is too strong a word - I just think in US they are not as used to the hijab as in the UK - I come from a country with a low muslim population and I would be unsure what I could do as regards talking to you. I once tried to shake hands with an iranian woman and she said she wasn't allowed do it.

• Are you even allowed to be with non Muslim men?

• In my religion, no. But I don't mind if their not Muslim.