How much longer would my hair have to be to get short dreads?

(My hair will continue to curl a lot, all of my brothers have the same texture and curl and they have had either dreads or cornrows at some point in their lives. I just want to try it out, so miss me with the, "you're white" comments please.)

Most Helpful Guy

• I have seen white dreads before and they are fine

What Girls Said 3

• As someone with short dreads I'd say wait until the patch of hair in front of your ears is at, or a little past your earlobe. At least that's what I went with. Word of caution though, When I had longer dreads I realized they are WAY easier to mature. The shorter the harder to keep together.

• You're white, do not get dreads. Also, it won't work for your hair texture.

• My hair texture is curly and yes I know for a fact that I can get dreads because a professional told me if I waited long enough I could get them. I just wanted to know how long I would have to wait.

• Your hair texture is not coarse enough for dreadlocks. You are forcing your hair to do something it cannot do naturally. You have fine, thin hair. White people's hair is more porous and holds moisture quicker and longer and it creates mold inside the dreadlocks.
      If you don't believe me, look it up. It's absolutely disgusting and dangerous to your health.
      I would do some research on this. But it is your choice.

• I'm not mentally retarded lol. I'm clearly aware that white people hair is much different than black people hair and you must not have read the part of my question where I said I just wanted to try it out. I'm not gonna get fucking mold in my hair. I know at least 5 people with the same hair as me that have dreads for months and they never got mold and it did nothing to their hair health or scalp.

• you will probably have to wait a lot longer

What Guys Said 1