What do you fine folks on G@G think about scars?

So here goes...

I was attacked on New Year's Eve and it was quite brutal. I was viciously stabbed and cut numerous times. For the most part these scars remain hidden in broad daylight, however... The assailants managed to piece my left cheek through to the bone and now I have this rather lovely souvenir of the horrid occasion. It is often the topic of conversation when meeting new people, or being introduced to new people. "Oh my, how did you get that scar?"

The blow to my self esteem was unreal! I am by no means attempting to play the victim but man oh man am I ever insecure about having a blatant knife wound on my freaking face! I am a business man, suits and ties, so in my line of work this generates some bad mojo.

What do you fine folk on G@G think about scars? I am curious for some brutally honest opinions rather than the coddling comforts I am afforded by close friends and family. "It looks charming" hardly seems realistic to me.

Most Helpful Girl

• Wow, that is truly horrible. It's something I'd definitely notice. I wouldn't find it charming but I would be very interested in hearing about the story behind it. If you were a guy that I found interesting and was comfortable around I could easily overlook the scar and I think in time I would grow to love it as a part of you.
    One of my very good friends has a facial scar from an accident and I love it about him now. It's part of who he is.

• That is good to know! So at first glance it might be off putting but with some background, and familiarity it's all good eh? I had a few friends crack some jokes about auditioning for a role on the History Channel's "Vikings", at least they're able to make light of it.

• Haha. Good moms ;)
      Really I wouldn't worry about it too much. It looks like your beard covers a lot of it?

• Thanks for mh! 😊

What Girls Said 9

• Can I see just how bad this scar is?

They strike my interest (curious to know what happened) but they don't make me think anything less of the person.
    We all have marks or scars we want to get rid of.
    Some less visible than others.

• It is late and dark here at the moment. I will throw up a picture in response to this when I have time tomorrow! It's one of those things that at first glance might make me seem unapproachable but I stress it was a "wrong place, wrong time" scenario hahah

• Ok.

I'll check back for an update.

Did u get to press charges?

• There is a criminal trial ongoing at the moment. Once a verdict is reached, or we are close to that point, I intend to pursue a civil suit! Wish me luck.

• each scar have a story to tell

• Scars are just evidence that you were stronger than whatever tried to " hurt " you! :-) we all have scars, some are Physical others are emotional scars

• I'm sorry to hear about that, I would notice it and be interested in the story behind it. I got the stupidest scar on my face ahha It's under my chin.

• Was it from a childhood mishap? I built up a good few of those over the years but luckily enough most are waist to feet.

• yes!! Age 5 or 6, I was horse playing with my little brother ahha It's the only scar I have on my body.

• They have a story behind it. They can look sexy nuff said :)

• I think it makes you look like a bad as a just lie about how you got the scar to fitbthe situation

• I love scars. They tell a story. <3 :)

• Scars are sexy.

• some girls find a man with "history" really hot and sexy. I don't know depends on the girl

What Guys Said 7

• I can't see it, I'm assuming your beard is covering it then?

I personally don't mind the scars themselves, just how they got it. I would only judge someone if they got the scar while in prison for committing a heinous crime, or while in the act of committing said crime.

• It doesn't show up there at all, I lucked out in photos at least. I will upload a proper picture at a later point and drop the link here. It isn't horrible but it is quite apparent someone had too much fun with a knife.

• Alrighty then. Also, I'm really sorry that happened to you. No one should have to go through that. It's a miracle you came out of it alive. But it can't be completely bad. I mean at least you have a bad ass story to tell now, am I right? lol

Seriously though, that sucks :/

• Bright sides and silver linings man! I like the way you think. I suppose vanity should be the last thing on my mind. Oh and about the beard... That was the first question I asked while clutching my face and neck. "DID HE GET THE BEARD?" priorities right? The reason why I posted this question is because I walked passed a mirror and noticed a void of sorts where facial hair no longer grows around the scar. 'Tis a sad day.

• Sorry to hear that dude, most people can look past scars very easy and sometimes they hardly even notice it.

• Man I am so sorry to hear that you went through that! I wouldn't ask about the scar I think it is a rude thing to ask. I would wait for you to tell me.

• Right? I was at work a few days ago and someone blatantly inquired about the attack and pending court cases. I was churning out a few documents at the photocopier and man oh man did it ever make me feel uncomfortable.

• Damn straight bud, never know how sensitive someone might be regarding a traumatic event or apparent/permanent blemish.

• Right! It's just someone being selfish. They put their desire to know ahead of the feelings of the other person. Well pal if you need a friend or a sounding board you can PM me

• Oh shit dude sorry to hear that :( I think they're fine as long as its not excessive amount of scars and big ones.

• Yeah I didn't want to be looking like an Orc Chieftan from Lord of the Rings or something man! Luckily my doctor was extremely good at what she does and managed to minimize some otherwise gnarly wounds.

• yeah any time you get a deep cut go to the hospital as soon as possible to get stiches.

• Scars don't bother me at all. I had a bunch of surgeries as a kid so my entire back and most of my ribs are covered in scars. I think your scar makes you look like a badasss anyway. I mean you got stabbed in the face and survived

• Damn man that sounds like an intense childhood. I hope it is all squared away and taken care of now though. I suppose it could be seen as something that adds character! I always used to joke about surgery scars, and how folks should just make up outlandish tales about how they came to be. Shark attacks, bear fights, you name it!

• Thanks. I'm fine now but I do still have 38 screws and 2 titanium rods in my back

• Damn sorry about that man. :-/

I wouldn't bring it up if I see one, it'd just be rude. And I wouldn't bother thinking about it too much either.

• a scar would make me feel like a badass super villain