Why are looks so important in today's society?

Mostly pertains to women, but a girl's self-worth is soley based on her physical appearance now a days. Music videos, magazines, social media, movies, TV, etc... shows us that superficial things like boobs and ass are the only thing a woman is good for.

No, I'm not a huge feminist.. so please no "you're a feminazi" answers.

I wish we lived in a world where you could look however you look, and not be judged or valued for that alone. Why?

Most Helpful Guy

• Money, actually.

The advertising industry spends billions and billions of dollars every year, trying to get people to buy products they don't really need. The best way to get people to buy products, unfortunately, is by making them feel bad about themselves. By feeling less pretty than everyone else you will buy things to make up for it. Beauty products to try and look like women built by photoshop, food because you feel bad, and then diet and exercise things because you feel worse after gaining the weight from the food. Items to keep up with the neighbours. Sad people buy products. People totally satisfied with their lives, happy with their day-to-day, don't buy nearly as much.

The young market is huge - teen market alone passed 200 billion dollars a couple of years ago. And they are incredibly vulnerable to advertising because of their prefrontal cortex isn't developed yet. And so hammering them with images that will destroy their body image makes people a lot of money. It leaves the viewers broken and psychologically damaged, but then they can sell them therapy and pills later, so they don't care.

And you will notice that beauty constantly changes as the look becomes approachable. Calories are scarce? Skinny is ugly, and Rubenesque is in. Too many easy, cheap calories? Heavy is out, skinny is in. Diets start making that manageable? Then they need to start making it harder still... some parts skinny, but a big round ass, and this part small but this part big... And when special diets and work-out routines start solving that, they go to something like thigh gaps, which are because of the femoral head and not 'fitness' at all. It is literally a bone length thing, but because you can hit it by extreme malnutrition as well, they start pushing it to give women a carrot they cannot hit.

So looks are so important in society because not being able to hit those beauty standards make people feel bad about themselves, and subsequently makes them buy a lot more product.

What Guys Said 18

• It shows how strong the media's influence on today's society. It is money and cosmetic/fashionable clothes sell magazines and vice versa.

• It's always been like that for everyone. The only times it didn't matter were when rich families had their children marry each other regardless of what they looked like or what the children wanted. Marriage has only recently been more about people who have similar personalities and actually falling in love. In the past it was in most cases for self preservation and family advancement for both families.

• Now suppose you girls looked like us guys. Then you would be the ones sitting at home on Friday and Saturday nights. At least you have looks and takes you places unlike us we don't have doodly crap to get girls and we're never favored in any way in the media or anything else unless it's money success or fame by change. Would you want to trade?

• Yes, I want to trade. You can be a hideous guy, but if you're wealthy and successful, girls will like you. If a girl is born ugly, she's automatically dismissed.

• Most girls automatically look good? I would disagree

• Well the vast majority of girls do anyway and there are way more good looking girls per capita than there are successful guys the guys with all the money successful famous guys I guarantee you. Would you want to trade with the average guy that doesn't have all the success wealth or fame?

• personally i don't feel that the media made me like girls with round butts, or bigger breasts. even if i never saw how an attractive person is supposed to look like on media, i'd still prefer somewhat larger assets on women, that's just nature to some i guess.

why are you even ranting about this, you're no where near unattractive lmao

• Looks have always been important, it comes from our nature.

• People's bodies have never been as sexualized as they are in the 21st century.

• I wish we were not so hung on looks as well, but it sadly is what it is

• Well, physical attraction has always been a part of society, i thought.
    but I do agree that there is more to girls (anyone for that matter) than their looks.
    Without the initial physical attraction then what would attract you to approach someone?

• We live in a world without war and as such we can focus on the things we want because there's no immediate threat

• I don't know, but it is ridiculous. Young women seem more insecure than ever. And as a consequence they are letting the "boys" control the relationship dynamic in society these days.

• I don't think that women are solely valued because of their looks. I know some girls that are okay looking and are incredible because they have such an amazing personality.

• They've always been important.

• Not even close to how they are after social media became a thing.

• human nature. but it's not as bad as it used to be. 20 years ago, there were no plus size models or the "every woman is pretty" stuff.

• what makes you say "nowadays"? this isn't new at all

• Read what I said below. In the 80's when artists started to make music videos, there was a woman who was ugly, and she was replaced in the video by someone very attractive. This sparked international outrage at the time. This happens all the time now, and no one cares.
      In addition, music used to be about music. Now, we don't see anyone who sings/plays an instrument who isn't hot. see?

• Because of MEDIA'S influence. They spend millions of $ on that to brainwash people's heads.

• They're really not BUT at the same time, you have to be attracted to them too.

• Well, if you're an ugly guy than its not much better. at least women have more ways to look better.

• You know, some say that one day we will be able to download ourselves into a program and I suspect we'll be able to create our own little utopias. When that happens you can have this. As of now, we are beings with biological impulses.

• Putting 10 pounds of makeup on celebrities, being naked on camera, porn, and treating women as objects in the media isn't biological...

• It's basically a society of dirty slutty whores. Women should be covered from head to toe. Preferably the face should be veiled too.

• I hope this is sarcasm

• A woman can either be a wife or a whore. Modern western women? You know it.

What Girls Said 3

• Everyone judge you on your outer beauty.. this is why many people had gone into depression due to the judging of society. I guess if we all don't judge the people who doesn't have much outer beauty, the world would have been a better place. We blame society, but we are society.

• Looks have always been important, sadly... The media has a big part to do with this.

• Physical attraction is what mostly catches a persons eyes first. From what my friend said, she wants to marry a good looking guy so she would have beautiful children. I agree as well I wish we lived in a world where there's no judgement.