Why do people like others to be tanned?

With summer already being here, everybody's running to the beach to sunbathe. As somebody who has overly sensitive skin and gets sunburns easily, I avoid sunabthing or at least don't sunbathe as often as others. And every time, others ask me why am I so pale and that I should go out in the sun more. I'll tan when I feel like it, why the peer pressure? Just because I'm a bit pale (luckily I'm not sickly pale) doesn't mean I don't care for my body. I do, I just prefer not burning in the sun. Although, I usually burn my face, arms and chest, they're the only tan spots I have.

All singers, models and celebrities have tanned beach bodies, the media keeps pressuring to go outside to tan or use products to look tanned, am I immediately ugly for not tanning?
I prefer not to go in the sun too much also because of health reasons (yeah, I can't take the heat very well) and also the fact that I don't want my skin to age prematurily and to have a higher risk of getting skin cancer. A healthy glow is nice and all, and I don't judge people for tanning, but please, don't judge those, who don't want to do it. To all the tanning fanatics out there, yes, there are people who dislike laying on the beach or tanning boxes for several hours every day.

PS. Just because I don't tan, doesn't mean I avoid the sun completely. I don't live in a basement or hide from the sun like a vampire. I usually get tans from working or just being outside while wearing tank tops and/or shorts. I don't go around telling others to stay inside, everybody can do what they want with their bodies. I don't like laying on the beach too often (sure, soemtimes I do it, but mostly because I want to rest, not just for the sole purpose to tan) It's just boring and it doesn't interest me.

What are your opinions?

• Do you prefer tanned people?
  • Do you prefer pale peple?

Most Helpful Girl

• I have no preference but I wear sunblock everyday. 80% of ageing of the skin is caused by the sun. I don't want leathery skin at 30. This is why black people have less wrinkles due to high melanin in the skin. Also tanners have are 75% more likely to develop melanoma than those who don't.

What Guys Said 5

• I like my women with this skin tone pale

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...4ece9ac642.jpg

• I know right.
    But I don't like tanned people. When it comes to girls, the paler the better. Stay pale and be proud girl. You're one of the few during the summer ;)
    drscdn.500px.org/.../d095a4884d8078e66a7a36d24cb82fb9

• I like the pale look

• I don't like tan girls. In most cases its actually a turn off. But i adore porcelain skin 😍

• I don't "prefer" people one way other and certainly not based on whether they're tanned or not. Smh. The best way to get color in the skin is to be born with pigmented melanin in the skin (in other words - color!).

I do "prefer" natural skin color when it comes to girls. Asian girls particularly, all girls of color, generally. Pigmented color, not tan lotioned, tanning bedded, sprayed or sun burnt temporary skin colored.

What Girls Said 1

• I think it doesn't really matter if your tan or not. Personality is what counts