Why do people want to be rated "out of 10"?

I notice this trend mostly with guys. I suppose it comes with the male desire to categorize and compare things.

But ultimately, you don't gain much from these ratings. It's specific to that one person, and it depends on their definition of a "10", which can sometimes be within the realism range, or other times completely out the wall insane, making the average person a 3 or 4.

When I ask questions like this, it's usually to look for tips on how to improve my look, or to get an idea of what kinds of girls I currently attract. A lot of times if I ask for a number, I get a "7", and then they give an example of a 10 which is basically Kanye West with his shirt off. (By that standard, a 10 would be an insult, and I would want those particular girls to rate me pretty low.)

Most Helpful Girl

• Because 10 is the furthest they can count.

What Girls Said 2

• they relate it too much to school

like a 5 out of ten is the end of the world because you almost failed, I agree its stupid.

its a desperate attempt to accomplish something with no skill

• I don't know... they wanna know how attractive they are?

I've done it though XD

What Guys Said 6

• Because we have 10 fingers and 10 toes, so we tend to think of numbers in base 10.

At least that's what my computer science professor told me! :-P

• I would love a society that worked in base 2. They would count from 0 to 1023 on their hands, or 0 to 1048576 on their hands and toes.

• Nope... but I did major in computer science my first two years of college. I'm definitely computer proficient (as in the guts of a PC rig , not just social media ). :-P

• Hehehe So THAT's how you learned ! :-)
      Very useful in compsci. Though much less than it used to be. It was much more useful in the C days. most modern languages use more advanced concepts nowadays.

• I agree a rating is a personal interpretation, there is no standardisation scoring

• Yup.

Also, thanks for understanding the question. A lot of people interpreted this question as "Why do we use the number 10". My question is "Why do we use a number at all?"

• Because out of 11 would be weird.

• Rating from 1 to 10 is so passe... I say we all rate from 5 to 13 !

• people like to be attractive.

• Yes kanye looks like shit I would be insulted and to be honest only black chicks would like kanye...