Does being a dark skin indian girl matter?

Okay, not fishing for compliments or anything, I'm kind of ranting. I am a dark skinned indian girl and when I was younger I was even bullied by my indian 'friends' who had grown up in the UK like me. It kind of left me feeling conscious of my skin colour and I know I will never feel pretty because in my society skin colour is all they care about. For example, my cousin showed a picture of his girlfriend to my family. First thing his mum said was 'oh, she's a bit dark.' It's just so frustrating! When I go back to India all the sales people are trying to sell me bleaching creams and I'm like, why do I want to bleach and get reduce my body's ability to protect me from the sun? I kind of look like this girl (Anchal Joseph fron ANTM) with similar features, hair and body type.

And, my parents only let me date indian guys, which is annoying as they seem to be the most judgmental about this.

Note: That's not me in the picture, but I've been told I look like her that's why :)
To the people saying I'm 18, yeah, I can just do what I want but I would rather avoid any huge family arguments if possible. If I met someone that they didn't like but he was perfect for me then I would fight with them but I haven't yet and I wouldn't eant to 'shame the family' *rolls eyes*

Most Helpful Girl

• If you look anything like her, then you're gorgeous :) I'm a dark skinned Indian girl too! I was bullied when I was younger, but those people shouldn't matter and those who matter wouldn't care. And boys who're judgmental of your skin colour, will never be the right person for you. Don't try to change what yourself, you're beautiful just the way you are :)

What Guys Said 33

• If you knew how much time and money many white people spend to have a deep dark tan, you'd feel priviliged: you got it for free and effortless.

• But remember always that skin color is only a bit of pigment in the skin, nothing more.

• Well, a lot of people are really f'cked up when it comes to drop dead gorgeous women of color like the girl in the pics. For many, it's not their fault. They're been brainwashed with force imagery. Others see beautiful women of color and are afraid to admit they find them attractive. It imaging blocking or blinding yourself to something truly beautiful because you focuses on it's color first before ever even really looking at it? I thank god that I'm not like that. If there's beauty in range of my binocular vision, my mind has already recognized it as beautiful before any details like skin color have registered yet. Often, after observing the skin color I find it greatly enhances what I've already considered be gorgeously. Like the girl in that pics for examples. She very beautiful in my opinion. But that smooth cocoa brown skin of what really makes her gorgeous in my opinion.

Now, i do has some bias as I have a preference for women of colors, any shade of color preferably Asian but generally any race/ethnicity/cultures.

So, yes having darker skin matters... to me. Negates I prefer darker skinned women and their cultural and ethnic difference. I don't give in to brainwashing. I think for myself!

• I am sorry, but any culture that forces it's women to do things against their will is shit. I DO NOT RESPECT IT. People usually say yes, but it's their culture and that's how they live. IT'S SHIT and it should change. Using culture to justify forcing people to do stuff against their will is not a good reason. With that said. I think girls like you look absolutely astonishing and if indian guys don't want girls like you, you should just go with a white guy who will love you like you are. To hell with your parents. Be independant and forget about them. They can't tell you what to do in a free country.

• The girl in the bottom is absolutely gorgeous. Please PLEASE don't do anything crazy to your skin color. Dark skin is beautiful and Indian girls really rock it like no one else. I never realized that there were so many Indian girls on gag that had issues with people giving them a hard time because their skin was dark. It's really a shame when it looks as amazing as it does. Keep rocking your beautiful skin! :)

• She's gorgeous! I'd date.

• What a babe...

• Hey Pakistani-american here. I can tell you firsthand that "dark" is considered lower in social status or some bs. I think thats ridiculous. that kind of mentality is still in existence in india/pakistan ( i know, because my parents think like this). I myself have a light skin tone. However, i find darker skinned indian/pakistani girls verry attractive! If you really look like that actress i think you are hot as fuck! fuck those creepy indian dudes all they want is a white blonde! (jk lol xD)

• Thanks haha, I wish guys here were more like you

• also in the same boat as you ;-; with that whole family argument thing. except x10000 coming from a muslim fam.

• sorry about that, I have a Muslim friend that's a girl so it's x100000 worse for her lol. She wanted to do art and go out with this white guy, even stopped wearing the hijab, so she's a rebel but her parents kind of gave up on her now haha

• What do you mean your parents let you? Don't you get to choose who you date? My neighbor has dark indian skin and she's stunning. I'm a white guy so I don't really get the whole skin bleaching thing.

• I'm technically not allowed to date until I get my degree but that's five years so just have to do it in secret. They told me I have to marry someone Indian and Christian like me but I don't get that since many other races also have Christians (?) I don't get the skin bleaching thing either. My body is better at protecting me, how is that a bad thing? I give up!

• Yea you have to live your own life, to not date because you're doing a degree is missing out on possibly having great dates with great guys. Good luck to you :)

• The girl in pictures looks lovely

• It shouldn't matter - I had a friend (white) who could have any girl he wanted, and he chose a very dark-skinned Indian girl.

• this sounds so much like the kissass wannabe goodguy xD but your skin color really doesn't change anything for me.

• I think people can be beautiful with any skin tone.

• She has nice skin

• You're *way* out of *my * league, so I'm gonna say no...

• I think it's beautiful and exotic. Some countries are weird about culture crossing. In America you would be very popular with the guys.

• You joking right. You know you are beautiful.

• No it doesn't don't worry

• "my parents only let me date indian guys"

You're eighteen. And to answer your question, not to me.

• well you're relly cute, even if that's not you. but you';re not that dark.

• She looks pretty good, and what's with all the hate for Indian guys yeezus

• Not hating :) but all the ones I know are douchey

• you really beautiful

• You look good, I don't know if I speak for everyone but I like the exotic look... So 👍

• who is this i want eat her :D <3

• Lool, she's called Anchal Joseph :)

• it does not matter at all i m of the same region as u

• no, it donot matters at all! :)
    be confident! ,,,,,,,,, you sound like a good looking girl!

• She loons hideous

• Dark skin girls are hot.

• Dark skins ain't my type.
    Let the down votes frenzy start :D

• As long as you're being honest idgaf

• NO i didn't get it in a rude way or something. BUt i was just saying that u shouldn't care about what i say. I normally get 4-10 down votes when i say that black girls ain't my type.

• oh, okay lol

• The dark skinned Indian girls is what I prefer not kidding here

• Dark skinned Indian girls look so sensuous and beautiful to me personally.

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 11

• It obviously seems to matter in your culture, but I don't even have to look at the picture to tell you that skin color definitely isn't what determines a person's beauty and their value as a human being. So just because your skin is darker doesn't mean you have to feel self conscious about it at all! Also you're parent's might be a little too conservative and traditional in terms of your dating life and especially because you live in the UK.
    Do you have any British friends (or friends with a different background than you) ? If you do, then bring them home more often and show your parents that they are just as good as indian guys (if not better) :) Good luck!

ps. It might sound funny but I know how you feel about the bullies - I used to get bullied by my classmates when I was in elementary school because I was 'too pale' so they often called me stupid names or would avoid me because they thought I was a vampire or something else was wrong with me :/ Nevertheless I've learned to love my skin tone (after ages of hiding it under fake-tan) since I think it makes me stand out from the mass and trust me, once you start to love your skin the way it is you are gonna be so much happier!!

• You look stunning in that 1st photo.
    You are gorgeous!!

I am drawn to the features of people not their skin color.

• Okay, I knew that girl looked familiar. I have seen that show.
      She takes lovely photos.
      (She's average-pretty) I watched that season of ANTM.

Skin color doesn't determine beauty!
      We have to get away from this mindset.

• I don't see anything wrong. If you look similar to the girl in the photo, she is pretty.

According to that part about my parents only let me date Indian guys, have you tried dating someone outside that race?

• Well, technically I'm not supposed to date anyone until I finish my degree, but I'm doing medicine and that's 5 years so that's not gonna happen lol. But my mum has said that they wouldn't accept anyone that's not Christian an Indian like us because 'it would bring shame to the family' *rolls eyes*

• Well they see a career in something is important, and they may be right. But I don't think it's right for them to force it upon you that you can only date an Indian man and only because that because they don't want to bring shame upon the family. What happens if you fell in love with someone outside your race?

• Girl flaunt your melanin and the beauty that is your skin. Those who can not see that you are already perfect you don't need in your life. I can already guess that you are stunning and i hope that one day you own it. Dont stop at feeling pretty in your skin. Surpass that and feel amazing, comfortable, beautiful, flawless, happy, content, and stunning in your skin. There is nothing wrong with you and it's just a plus that you were blessed with natural and free sun block lol. stay beautiful baby doll find that confidence and own the skin you in.

• That's such a lovely reply, thank you, and you are so right x

• Of course! Just know I only speak the truth. :)

• All skin colours are beautiful. Don't let people tell you any different.

• I really really really really really really really really like dark skin Indian gels. I think Indian people look especially amazing with dark skin because that's how most of them look and I tend to think groups most common beauty is their best beauty

• I think you're hot :D. I'd give you a 9/10 don't worry about your skin complexion. I've had the same problem but I've come to realize I'm beautiful and so is my dark skin. Don't let other Indian guy's opinions about your skin make you think yours isn't appropriate or beautiful. One day you will find the guy who appreciates your skin color. Cheers~

• you shouldn't let it get to you. you like yourself and so do others.

• That skin color is beautiful. I'm 1/4 Siksika (Native American) and I wish I would have been born with darker skin.

• girl you're gorgeous!!

• OK I'm not trying to start anything on here but it like this you remind me of when I use to say I'm brown my cousin is light skined its not fair. But hey I'm proud of my skin color im brown skin. so girly be proud happy about your self

• Don't worry, I get it :) but I didn't say anyone was prettier and it's not fair if you read my question. I'm just asking for people's opinions