Why photos won't reflect the real me?

I look at myself in the mirror and think i'm really handsome but then when i try to take a picture, it turns out i look ugly and not quite how i really look. I kinda feel sad that i can't get my attractivenness into a picture. I like my face and want photos of it so i could, one day, remind myself of how attractive i was. I think photos make me so fugly and show up some facial asymetry that i can't see on the mirror and that i find extremly unflattering. why? :/ Does this problem occur to you? Is it because i'm simply not photogonic or am i really ugly? I'm confused :(

Most Helpful Girl

• This happens to me. (haha, as you can see my ugly profile picture) cameras have a tendency to elongate your face and stretch or shorten certain features depending on the light exposed to them. That's why pictures can turn out different than a mirror image of yourself.

• And the mirror image is the real image of you cus it's a 3D image? I hope so :/ . And what do other people tell you about your photos? Do they think you look the same and as attractive as you are in real life? Anyway, don't worry because you are beyond average in that photo.

• Yeah but i already told you that i don't disagree with you. We obviously can't see 3D. We can only recognize it because of the light and our smart minds. Also, Imagine if you were a 2D object, you would only be able to see in 1D. I was wrong when i mentioned 3D in my first opinion and you reminded me of how wrong i was. But at the same time, i wanted to tell you that some people can see really flat and that 2D comes in different versions depending on the light and the capability of the eyes and mind to catch it. Probably cameras aren't very good at catching the light? Maybe... And i hope so haha :)
      By the way, if you think you look ugly in that photo and not as pretty as in real life, then why are you using it as a profile photo in GAG?

• It's hard to explain about the camera thing. I use that photo GAG because my other photos didn't look compatible with the circular frame. So this photo it is.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's like this for most people.

I'm the same way. I think I look great in the mirror but I don't think I look near as good in photos. Photos need to be taken at a specific angle to make yourself look good. Photos also block and highlight specific features.

Don't worry about it. It's no big deal.

• And what do other people say about your looks in the photos? Do they say you look the same? Or do they also think you look uglier?

• Oh crap. I hope they are wrong haha. I don't wanna think that my mind's playing me some tricks. I just can't think for a second that i look the same in the mirror and in photos. It's insane, because for me, even though i still can recognize myself in photos, i think i completely have a different attraction value. I think i turn from handsome to ugly. What's kinda relieving is that people say i look the same in the mirror and in real life. What i don't really want to hear, is when they tell me i look the same in photos. I'm either crazy or blind. The mind is a mysterious thing.

• @Asker Maybe these people think you look the same in the mirror, photos AND in person? Our minds can screw up our perception of ourselves. Trust me, I think this is more of a mental block than anything else.

What Girls Said 4

• It's probably cause you're not photogenic. I'm not photogenic either

• I hope you are right. But what do other people say about your photos? Do they think you look the same as in real life? Because i fear this whole shit might just be in our minds.

• Hmm I haven't asked others but I always notice I look better in person then photos but like you said maybe it's just in our minds

• Might be cuz when you look at yourself in a mirror, your eyes and brain will subconsciously adjust what it processes. That's why you always see yourself at the best angle, best contrast, etc. Try taking pictures in natural lighting, they might turn out better than point blank selfies.

• You're just not photogenic at all - if you wanna look handsome in photos I recommend you to invest into photoshop lol

• This. I know people who look great in photos, but not so much in real life.

• Actually I used to look really shitty in photos during my entire puberty but now I think this really improved (not only because my attitude changed and I was told how I look best by photographers) so what I'm trying to say is there's always hope since this can really change any time I think!

• Also if you're looking fierce you'll reflect that in your photos and it will automatically be perceived as more attractive

• I know a lot of guys that are actually attractive but they take really shitty pictures. Maybe you just suck at taking selfies.

• I suck at taking selfies and i look the worst on them. But i also think i look bad in photos that are taken by someone else but just a little better.

• Yeah I wouldn't worry about how you look in pictures vs real life. If people tell you you look good as is just trust what they say. I've asked my friends if I look different than my pictures and they say I do slightly worse in pictures. But with guys it's a shame they aren't photogenic they look way better in person

What Guys Said 4

• A lot of people aren't photigenic

• Try different angles, lighting. Touch it up a bit on a photo editor, but obviously don't go overboard. Maybe fix up a shadow in the background etc. anything that won't be obviously noticeable. I've had this problem as well, and I've found that my most successful photos are the ones where I'm completely relaxed, where I don't psych myself out too make a good picture.

• Yeah but that's called doing effort to make the photo look good. I want to go out with friends and have a spontaneous photo with them without psyching about looking different from what i look in the mirror or from what i really look. Most of my friends are totally okay and comfortable around the camera. I also think they look as attractive in photos as they are in real life. I have seen some that are like me and i agree that they look uglier in photos. But it's rare.

• Sounds like you need to be more comfortable then.. just try not too think about it as a picture and click there you go

• Yo you need to work on your selfie game

• I can't stand my face on selfies. It completely changes the way i look. I didn't see this problem with my friends because most of them think they look almost the same in selfies and in mirrors.

• You just gotta love you Ann not give a fuck What others think

• Research says, people see themselves 5 times more attractive in mirrors.

• So i'm 5 times uglier in real life? Does that mean i'm as ugly as in photos? I don't know what people think of my photos, but i know for sure that many find me handsome (or so i have been told by family and some strangers). I agree when i look in the mirror but definitely not in photos. If they also think that what i see in photos is handsome and really looks like me in real life, then they must be insane or crazy lol. I don't know which one i should trust, mirrors or photos. Or maybe i'm too judgmental of myself or don't like the way i look. We can't be attractive to everyone so i might not be attractive to myself.