How can people tell the difference between the way Asians look like Chinese, viet, Korean etc?

Just wondering. I'm half viet and people can always tell I'm either half viet or Korean.. How do you differentiate between these?

Most Helpful Guy

• You can't always tell ethnicities. Of a race just by looking. Can you tell the difference between British, German, Swedish, Danish, French or Dutch just by looking at them? Same thing. If people are guessing your Vietnamese or half Vietnamese they are basically lucky guessing though in my opinion Asian have more distinct differences than Caucasians mostly because East Asia and Southeast Asia covers a more vast and climatically different area and Asian peoples have more diverse skin colors. Southeast Asian can be but not necessarily darker than Far East Asians so it's easier to guess that an Asian person might have southeastern ethnic background versus far eastern based on skin color. Narrows the choices/guesses. But there are brown Asians in the fareast and light Asian in the southeast so that's not a hard n fast rule you can depend. Sometimes Asians themselves can tell the differences because they live amongst the diverse ethicities of their peoples. Us westerners will have a harder time telling whether an Asian person is Chinese ethnic or Thai, it Filipino or Jsosbrse or Malaysian than the people of Asia themselves. But often even they can't. I've lived in Asia for a time and I can make pretty good guesses sometimes. More often than not I'm wrong though😕. I guess if one were to study all the diverse ethnicities if Asian race peoples one might find some keys to some visual, physical telltale differences. But then, to what end?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not sure... I just can. Vietnamese people look WAY different than East Asians to me (Korea, Japan, China) Chinese eyelids are different to me I don't know they're just... I don't know. People usually say Koreans and Chinese have lighter skin but all the ones I know have brown skin. I think some Chinese have flatter, wider noses, too. That's just how I see it but I'm not sure.

What Guys Said 10

• A variety of different things usually give it away for me. The shape of their eyes (no, Asians don't all look Mongolian), the shape of their faces, their complexion, things like fashion, and other things like that.

Vietnamese
    beauty-around.com/.../12Diem%20My.jpg

Korean

wallpaperest.com/.../...rean-girl-group_184583.jpg

Honestly, I feel like Vietnamese and Korean are two of the easier ones to tell apart. I feel like it doesn't really get hard until you start trying to pick apart really subtle nuances like the difference between different ethnic groups in China, for example.

• I've sort of familiarized myself with the different facial traits of east Asian people. i can kind of tell, not the best at telling though but i give a good guess lol.

• I guess it comes with time.

You get to familiarize yourself with people
    and how they each look different to another.

To me personaly, Koreans have round, soft features
    Chinese people have more prominent features.

Thai and Viet seem to have
    a slightly darker skintone.

But that's just how I see it. ^.^

• I am terrible at telling people apart all races

• Half my family is Filipino and I've learned Chinese martial arts and watched a lot of anime and Japanese porn so yeah I've kind of learned the differences between most of the Asian ethnic groups although there are exceptional people of every race that might look different and different ethnic groups within certain nationalities. Like the Chinese for example you have different ethnic groups such as the Manchu and Han that look slightly different.

• It's like anime, you know it when you see it.
    I can almost tell a person is japanese, chinese, filipino or thai. The others I don't know about.

• The Vietnamese bloke I knew in secondary school had a much darker skin tone to the Chinese bloke I knew.

• chinese, japanese, koreans, no.

viet,. thai, cambodia yes, they tend to be bronzer/darker looking.

• Being Asian I can tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese, and Filipino.

• lol tbh i dont see any diff btween chines and japan.. but korea yh they have bigger eyes and cuter well the gurls are :)

What Girls Said 8

• you can recognize it on their facial features, especially eye shape & nose - also their skin tone - koreans & japanese tend to be more fair skinned than thai or vietnamese people for instance

• I normally can't tell the difference, not even going to pretend I can lol. I'm actually pretty bad at identifying race, unless it's something that is obvious.

• *if you hang around Asians enough, you can tell differences between ethinicties.
    *for me koreans and vietnamese are the most recognizable to spot, although i'm not bad with identifying other Asians as well.

*it's mostly in the bone structure

• Viet people look more Chinese. Korean people have more aquiline features esp a longer nose.

• After being around Asians a lot I can often tell.

• i am pretty good at telling them apart

• I have no idea. To me its like trying to tell the difference between an African and a Caribbean.

• generally viet have bigger eyes and darker skin, japanese smaller eyes shriller voices... I don't know