Are some feminists being hypocritical about how media creates unfair body images for women?

I always hear about women complaing how men create this unrealistic image and how women are having this perfect body image of a woman shoved in their faces. But if you just look at any magazine, ad or movie with a guy who has his shirt off they always have an unrealistic body image for the guys too.
Women act like they are the only victims of hollywood making them feel insecure. But I feel insecure too because everywhere I go it looks like all the men in TV/Movies/Ads have six pack abs and perfect biceps.

Anybody else notice this about feminists?

• Yes, feminists never mention the unrealistic standards of men's beauty
  • No, women complain about men's unfair standards just as much as women's unfair standards
  • I just think it's annoying for both genders to complain about Hollywood's standard of beauty

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, I completely agree with you. I think that the normal man is underrepresented in modern media. And I think that it should be brought up more and addressed more. In fact, I believe that there should be equal concern for the beauty standards of both men and women that we are teaching to children, young adults, and even adults. I think one reason SOME feminists don't talk about how men are represented in modern media is because to most women I think that we have gotten it in out head that it's more acceptable for men not to fit into the perfect beauty standards, which, I understand, is not always the way that men feel. So I think that's it's not quite an issue of feminists not caring about how men feel or only caring about women being unrepresented it's that there isn't quite an understanding of how men feel. Obviously there are still a lot of things that need to be worked out in feminism but overall, at the heart of the movement, it's really an amazing cause. I believe that it's often defined incorrectly. It's not about women's rights. It's about men and women being equal and each gender (or non-binary) being seen equally under the law- which emcompasses women's rights within that. Hopefully, that was helpful in some way. Sorry if it was a little confusing.

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree with you that there is unrealistic beauty demands placed on both genders by media but feminists are single issue as are most others movements you very rarely have crossover in campaigns like you don't have anti racist campaigners highlighting animal rights.

What Girls Said 5

• I think that men have an even higher unrealistic image. Yeah, a lot of women aren't as thin as models... but it's a whole lot easier to be thin than to have a six pack and be perfectly muscular and tall. It's much more doable to just eat relatively healthy, run every day, don't eat like a pig, and you can be just as thin as those girls in magazines. Plus, those girls are all heights, and now people are obsessed with "real women" because I guess people who are thin and fit aren't real. Anyways, it's really hard and takes so much work for a guy to look like one of the men in magazines, and it's impossible in some cases. And no one seems to care about that unrealistic image, they just care about women's "unrealistic" image.

• That wasn't very well written at all but I wanted to post something anyways so I'm sorry if I make no sense haha

• I think that models in magazines should be fit and have physiques that are just as hard to obtain as men's. Women who are strong and fit and thin. Feminists would be enraged, but really, that's what men have been trying to look like for decades and feminists don't care because they're just lazy.

• Magazines and Hollywood are unfair to both men and women. Sometimes, women shouldn't expect to get men they see on tv/magazines when they don't look like the woman in them and vice versa. I hate to say this, but this is what the world has turned into.

• Personally, I don't care about media's interpretation of the "perfect female body" because no matter what my body shape will be, I know it's the perfect one for me. Also, nobody in my personal life expects me to have a supermodel's body, even though I am skinny. I have many family members who are overweight and many friends that are overweight and they are treated just as everyone else is. :)

• The purpose of ads is to make people insecure so they feel the need to buy products/diet foods/etc.

• No one cares how men look, what are you 5?
    If you are going to complain, at least pick something that actually happens! As long as a man has a high status and a nice income he can get a lot of women. He doesn't even have to look good. For women however, things are a bit different cuz a lot of men just care about her looks and the media feeds on this!

• The media portrays women's expectations for a man's appearance in the same way. And you're wrong about a lot of men only caring about a woman's looks. You're generalizing just as much as I am.
      Also you saying a man has to have a nice income is just another double standard that women set for men.

• Because I think it's funny how a 16 year old thinks he knows best... Look, if you are gonna buy into that Hollywood jazz it's not anyone's fault but yours... The fact that you think the media is even dictating something to us makes me laugh because It's simpletons who think thy should live up to those standards... and lost teenagers... You have a brain use it!

• Somebody is on the rag. No reason to name call and throw insults at people.

What Guys Said 6

• Yes. Especially seeing that media also perpetuates unrealistic standard for men. All male actor leads are tall, handsome (with square jaws) and six pack abs. Women see this as the physical attraction men should strive for. The difference between the 2 is men are willing to settle for skinny fat girl, but many men must put in effort to catch the eye of women if they aren't ripped, rich or charismatic.

• Feminists do mention it. But they often put a different emphasis on it.
    Supposedly for men idealised masculine figures are objects for us to aspire to, while depictions of feminen ideals are opressive and objectification.
    It's flawed overthinking like that, and double speak which really sum up why the feminist movement should be quietly layed to sleep while a more nuenced movement takes it's place.

• Why is it new to you that the feminist movement is VERY onesided in its goals? ;)

• Everyone now days are way too sensitive now days.
    I mean if star wars action figures can't be in stores because of accurate toy features then why is anything being made.
    By the way, I am talking about the guy who complained about the slave Leigh costume that was being sold at Target.

• I didn't know anybody complaining about Princess Leigh's slave costume.

• There was a big report on it in the news. I think about 3 weeks ago. Its really stupid, not even worth anyone's time.
      PS: It is the new Black series action figures collection.

• Femenists is based on inferiority complex some dumb sloots have and how they want people to accept them too bexause they can't get laid lol.

• Except nobody expects you to look like that.

• No, but it does make me feel insecure about my appearance just as badly as the women are insecure. I think it's hypocritical that feminists think it's just the women who are victims of a poor self image because of the media

• I haven't heard women specifically being told that. In fact the media is specifically telling them the opposite. But I have heard people on TV/movies. I know you're saying that it's implied, but nobody says it straight out. However it has been said straight out that a man doesn't deserve love if he doesn't have a car or job.

• 1. If it is implied it is actually worse than if it is yelled out. And if the media is changing, that is a good thing, because people's minds are a bit harder.
      2. Who has said that?