How do black men/ woman and anyone else in general feel about a white woman with dreads?

I ask because in my research of dreadlocks over the past few years, I have seen a lot of hate towards a white person with dreads. I have been wanting dreads for years but I have always held back because of this. I love the look of dreads on both men and woman and am especially attracted to black men with dreads. I have seen white woman who are stunning with dreads and just cannot understand why so many people see a hairstyle as an issue.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Lol😂. I'm black and Ik several people with dreads my brother included😊 but I have yet to see someone white with dreads in real life/in person. In my opinion I haven't come across a person (in magazines, on TV... etc) that's white and has good looking dreads, they tend to look more out of place and messy. But that's just my opinion. I think it's more looked down a upon because it is more of a "black" hairstyle. If I remember correctly it originated in Africa. You may have noticed that a lot of black people now a days are going back to the "70's natural hair thing" and I think when people see white people do it it's almost like a sensitive thing because it's one of the things black people like to call their own. Lol. Not saying it's right but I'm black and know a lot of black people and thats based on what I've learned. But either way you should do as you please. Don't allow the world to tell you how to wear your hair. Good luck😊.

• Thank you for this response. I agree that you can either pull off dreads or you can't and I have seen some white people who definitely can't pull them off. My hair is super curly though and I think dreads scream freedom. I am tired of straightening my hair every day so my hair isn't frizzy and poofy. This is the most honest answer I have read so far though and I appreciate it. Thanks

• You're so welcome. I'm glad I could help😊. And yea I can see why you may want to take a different route for your hair. I couldn't imagine try to straighten my hair everyday😄. Any way, happy I could help and again good luck with whatever you choose.

What Guys Said 9

• hate? that's stupid in my opinion... some gals can pull off such a look like this one in yer pic... although i believe she'd look better without nose-piercing... but still she looks awesome

• I always thought it looked dirty and unsanitary on anyone. Maybe it's not, but it's how it looks to me.

• I think if you don't take care of them, they definitely can look dirty. I have seen people with dreads who look like they never wash them but I think upkeep is very important. Thanks for the response.

• Hmm maybe a little. I think its harder for someone to tell if they themselves look like someone else. Its easier if you are not comparing yourself.

• It was striking to me 😊
      Especially the mouth and cheeks, but the eyes too.
      It is certainly not a bad thing to be compared to her 😉

• Lol I can see the meme caption already
    When white girls smoke weed once

• I have been smoking ganja for like 12 years lol. Weed is relaxing, helps with anxiety, sleep (well not sleep tonight haha).

• Well I'm still here... and been doing it for a long time suggest you don't buy into what the media wants you to believe

• You are only 19. It can take years to develop lung cancer or breathing issues from smoking but eventually it kills most people. I definitely dont go by social media. I go by facts, studies and research. I am also in school to be a doctor, but it doesn't take med school to tell you cigarettes are deadly. My brother and mother smoke and I worry about them all the time. Cigarettes were a terrible invention

• It's ok. Most people can't pull it off though

• Honestly I don't care. I've had a friend who's done it.

• Did they look good? Male or female?

• Yeah it did fit her lol but the look good part I'm not sure cause I wasn't attracted to her.

• Doesn't bother me at all but like everything else it works for some people and not so much for others.

• in my opinion dreads do not look good in general on any race they make people look trashy or homeless

• NO!. dreads on a white girl just looks terrible.

• It is your hair, so do what you want with it.

What Girls Said 4

• Disclaimer I'm white:
    I feel the same way about dreads on a white girl the same way I feel about them on anyone else. They are disgusting and horrible. Dirty, smelly, matted, knotted hair is not attractive in any way possible. It is gross and looks terrible and screams poor hygiene.

• They're like unicorns. I never see them. I think I've seen one or two they were like hippie pacific northwestern types. They don't bother me.

• It's seen as cultural appropriation.

• Yeah... I really don't get that. We keep borrowing stuff from other cultures all the time. Why can black people eat pizza without it being told it's cultural appropriation, but a white couldn't wear dreads? It's a stupid concept.

• @JuicyBrain no of course it's not any more right to culturally appropriate a culture for its food, but I'd say it's way less prevalent than the cultural appropriation of dreads, and the major contrast between a white person w/ dreads vs. a black person w/ dreads. Like I said nobody really gets called racist things or is looked down upon over eating/making pizza, pizza is not a part of systematic oppression. I'm not really a fan of dreads either but that doesn't mean that there aren't still a lot of people out there who praise "white dreads" and look down on "black dreads" purely for racist reasons and as a way of cultural appropriation. Which is why it's such a sensitive thing in the first place.

• @JuicyBrain I meant that praising white people for wearing dreads while at the same time looking down on black people for wearing dreads is racist.

• I actually think they are really nice! I have seen a white women with amazing dreads and they were super long. I believe anyone can have dreads, so if you feel comfortable with it go ahead! No one can stop you