Is it psychologically unhealthy to want cosmetic surgery to improve your looks?

Transgenders are becoming accepted for getting surgery to alter their appearance, but there is still almost no acceptance for people who want cosmetic surgery just to look/feel more beautiful. What is the difference between the two? If I feel like a handsome man trapped inside an ugly man's body how is that "psychologically unhealthy"?
Where do we draw the line on "poor body image" and "being trapped in the wrong body"?

Most Helpful Girl

• I wish I knew the answer to this. I struggle with body image issues also. Being surrounded by beautiful people and having them treat you like you aren't worth the time of day is a terrible feeling. Sometimes, I wonder if I should do some cosmetic surgery but I also feel like if I do that then I am caving in just to feel accepted. I feel as if I shouldn't have to change myself just for people to like me, just to be noticed. But, that is the society we live in today. Where people make you feel worthless if you aren't beautiful. Just choose wisely.

Most Helpful Guy

• Everyone wants to look better. So I don't have a problem with cosmetic surgery. What is unhealthy with cosmetic surgery is when you're relying on new physical changes to solve your social problems. The reality is that cosmetic surgery seldom solves social problems.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 1

• Good logic but a transgender would say the surgery was necessary and possibly they are suicidal without it which is believable - Whereas how many would believe someone was suicidal because they had a big nose.

• Well I am suicidal because of my appearance and it's not uncommon.