Does skin color really matter?

I'm Indian but not those really dark ones. My siblings are really light in color but somehow I'm kinda the darker one. I have like an olive skin tone and I'm told that I'm pretty because my face has a radiant glow. I have chest length hair and I'm naturally olive but my skin gets lighter in the winter. My mom usually compares me to my sister because she's lighter and I wanna know if pale skin is more preferred or if skin color doesn't really matter compared to looks. Thanks :)

Most Helpful Guy

• It shouldn't but people still make a huge fuss over it. Lighter skin may be more preferred, but it doesn't dictate beauty, because I have seen some atrocious looking light skinned people and some beautiful brown/dark skinned people.

Matter of fact Nina Davuluri is an Indian American of dark complexion who became Miss New York in 2013 and eventually went on to become Miss America in 2014. Keep in mind she won that contest over many contestants who were light/pale skinned.

Moral of the story is that beautiful person are going to remain beautiful no matter what complexion you throw on them.

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends if your south asain or north asain then skin color is a really big deal. I don't think to white people it matters as much. For black people of your not black we typically don't really notice, we only really notice skin color when your black.

What Guys Said 15

• Okay. This is a complicated question. Skin color matters for some people. It does for the media and for a lot of the world. Does it matter to me personally and should it matter. NO. I've seen ugly light skin Indian girls and cute dark skinned ones. Skin color doesn't really measure the beauty. Whether your skin is properly taken care of has a lot to do with it though. The point is don't go around worrying about your skin color, how you wear it determines if it's chic or not. have some confidence and as I said it doesn't matter for everyone. And don't by into the lightening cream bullshit in either India or the West whichever you're nationality is.

• there will always be some standard of beauty the media will present but there are guys out there that are attracted to ALL types of women. As long as a woman is open to dating outside of her culture, there is so many people to choose from who will think you're great. I've dated white, latin, and Asian girls and they were all great in their own way.

• I don't think any worrying or insecurity should go into skin color no matter if you're Indian or someone else.

• The thing is its to do with hormones and the reason your mom may be lighter is because I have seen the trend in women who age from teenagers to adults there skin tends to lighten up as it spends out and your body needs to compensate for the amount of melonin in your skin this stuff makes your skin dark.
    I myself am Alright with women all colours I'm not racist and if she says you have some sort of glow I'd believe her as a second opinion can be a right one.
    but in the locations we live in and the generalised amount of shades of people there is an average and it's changing towards from beige to a darker beige

• To most people it is the person not the skin colour that matters.

• It'd not jst tvs influence.

We natural like light skin tones. Just like u don't see many saying balck or brown is my fav color but somethinf bright like blue green pink red etc.

U must be north indian. Theyre considered Caucasians according to geneticists

• Preferred by whom? It's all a matter of perspective and aesthetics. Some people like very dark skin, others very pale.

• Skin color has nothing to do with attractiveness

• Doesn't really matter but the lighter skin is maybe a bit more attractive

• For some it does, for some it doesn't

• It doesn't matter to me. If you are sweet to me I don't care what you look like

• I think Indian girls are really hot. Not the dark ones but medium to light is very attractive

• Is not important, sometimes darker skin can actually be sexy. I don't like Indian girls though, sorry. :(

• Just like everything else it depends on each individual. In the case of pale white skin you have to consider whether those that like it/prefer it do or say do because they really do or they been brainwashed by the imagery manipulating mainstream me did into believing they do. You may never really know. Neither might they. I was there. But now I find every shade of color of skin more attractive than pale white.

• Indian culture tries to push that lighter skin is better but most people outside of that culture think its bullshit so you're fine

What Girls Said 3

• I would say skin colour doesn't really matter, when i was like 17 i wished that i had darker skin because i felt like at that time tanned skin was seen as the "ideal" but to be completely honest with you it doesn't matter and why should it? You're lucky to have olive skin :-)

• dark skin is hot.. be happy..

• Skin color doesn't matter, im sure both you and your sisters are equally beautiful, your mom shouldn't compare you guys.