Is it me, or are younger people caring less about appearance?

... and it seems more people my age (or even older) are taking care of their appearance. Maybe it's just my observation?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think this is a generational aspect but more of a gender thing.

It seems females of all ages (let's say ten years old and over) are obsessed with their appearance and looks. The way they dress, their makeup, skin care, body (weight), hair, etc.

On the other hand, most males don't care about appearance at all. We tend to not care about dressing a certain way, skin care, hair care, weight or the way we look.

Why? Probably because women are put on more pressure for their looks, where as men are put up to a higher standard when it comes to wealth and social status.

What Girls Said 7

• Well the era where men had to wear a 3 piece suit just to bring out the garbage is over, if that's what you mean
    Sweatpants are pretty common for both genders and I agree the clothing standard def went downhill but other than that I don't really see it. I feel it's quite the opposite actually. You know see very young girls dolled up with tons of make up

• My dad told me that younge buff cut guys weren't really impressive because it's easy to look good when your young. Your body is at your peak and basically taking care of yourself.
    It's not until your older and you start gaining weight and you don't bounce back as much, that most people start to take care of them self.

• I've noticed that... I still care though.

• That's why you're pretty (not to be weird, just a compliment. I'm happily married lol.)

• It's the media's influence that tells people life is not worth living if you are not attractive.

• Yeah the media supports "accepting who you are" etc. etc.
    plus hipster/skater/grunge stuff is trendy for a lot of 13-15 ish people...

• I have the feeling that older people are caring less about appearance ;D

• I definitely think it's your observation lol. If anything I think my generation is too obsessed with appearances. Shredz here and meal prep there. Constant supplement and body wrap pushing lol. Stuff like that is constantly all over my social media.

What Guys Said 3

• in my area everyone who is young, even the pre-teens and tweens are superficial as fuck. I was actually kinda shocked when I was heading out for lunch and I saw a bunch of girls that looked like they were 12-14 in skimpy outfits, im talking short shorts, fucking high up as fuck, lot of skin, did their hair and makeup, and they were all sipping their jamba juice posing for a selfie together like holy shit who taught them that. fucking society lol.

• I always care about my appearance I mean you need to look clean, proper if you ask me, so a lot of my clothes reflect that I guess, Aran cardigans, proper Irish flat caps, suits, belts, tucked in shirt, and all that, even my T-shirts are nice, always my watch, ring and cologne on before I leave the house.

I wish I was more in the time of the 40s you know when everyone wore nicer clothes and took care of themselves, the style is more to my tastes anyway.

• I think the main reason for it though is the media and all the talk about accepting who you are and all that BS, I also hate all the skimpy outfits girls especially really young one wear I mean they are stinking kids, same thing when it comes to guys and they dress like morons.

• I think the younger generation are more obsessed with how they look.